Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,200,438 times

Advertisements

(I placed an exclamation point at the end of the title, as if TJ is a desirable store to all, but I realize not everyone is into Trader Joe's.)

I think I started a post last year about this new Trader Joe's, at Boylston between Berkeley and Clarendon. Even the Boston Globe did a story well over a year ago about it...then it seemed nothing was visibly happening at that space for a long time.

I think Panera used to be there, among other stores. Then suddenly, I finally realized Panera was no longer there, sometimes in the pandemic.

Yes, Talbot's was at one corner, still empty.

Trader Joe's had a sign there as I passed by yesterday, with staff taking applications for employment in an empty space next door.

I asked if the country's tiniest TJ up the street on Boylston will remain, as The Globe said long ago. Apparently, it will stay, according to one staff member I asked.

Yes, yes, I know that some or many who don't or refuse to shop at Trader Joe's might say: "It's a cult, both their employees and shoppers!...mediocre products, many food recalls, etc..."

I enjoy the "experience" at their stores, even when super crowded. No "thug" shoppers unlike some other supermarkets, a cool variety of bags and insulated bags, some unique products with a twist or products not found elsewhere.

Their milk, cheese, Cabot canned whipped cream among other items are cheaper or even much cheaper than other stores, if not on sale at those stores. Their organic tomatoes on the vine are cheaper, bananas, a loose Russet potato, etc. I like their bar soap and the mango shave cream among other items.

Anybody here like to mock Trader Joe's, maybe even their friendly employees wearing those zany colorful shirts, or their mostly upscale, attractive shoppers? I'm not upscale, but still shop there often..

Or, if you are part of the Trader Joe family, which products do you find cheaper or unique at Trader Joe's, which perhaps makes the experience better than bigger stores.

I assume most Trader Joe's shoppers need to supplement it with a bigger supermarket?

Others seem to like Aldi's instead? I went once, to the Medford location a few years ago. I didn't care too much for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM

3,230 posts, read 2,132,102 times
I like trader Joes not as a staple grocery. I don't usually buy meat and produce there. But dry goods (nuts, chocolate, spices).
I also like their bags

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

3,871 posts, read 5,297,409 times
I split my weekly shopping between Traders, Whole Foods and Tropical Foods typically. With the bulk of my shopping done in Trader Joes.

I think their prices are very competitive, for meat, produce, dairy, etc...I like to buy berries and other fruit at Whole Foods, due to the quality and also price improvement over the past couple years. Tropical is for ingredients for West Indian cooking, which I do every Sunday.

So yes, definitely a fan of Trader Joes, good to see them continue to expand in the area!

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

12,894 posts, read 22,063,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I like trader Joes not as a staple grocery. I don't usually buy meat and produce there. But dry goods (nuts, chocolate, spices).
I also like their bags
Yep, same here. I get my coffee from there (their whole bean French Roast is a great dark roast), some snacks, spices, condiments, and some frozen stuff. Their pizza dough, some of the cheeses and cured meats are generally good quality and reasonably priced. I usually get flowers there too. But I've had pretty terrible experiences with their produce and meats. I don't think they've worked out their supply chain challenges for east coast stores yet.

Meats and produce are usually whole foods. Worth the premium.

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,118,621 times
I don't frequent TJ's as often as I expected to, given how close I am to the Burlington location and my high regard for their store brand products I guess the parking lot (which can be a s**tshow to get in/out of) is a deterrent. And also, they did away with the free samples and coffee after Covid.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

3,871 posts, read 5,297,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yep, same here. I get my coffee from there (their whole bean French Roast is a great dark roast), some snacks, spices, condiments, and some frozen stuff. Their pizza dough, some of the cheeses and cured meats are generally good quality and reasonably priced. I usually get flowers there too. But I've had pretty terrible experiences with their produce and meats. I don't think they've worked out their supply chain challenges for east coast stores yet.

Meats and produce are usually whole foods. Worth the premium.
Out of curiosity, for the meat at TJ's. Is it a quality or supply issue from what you see?

I do notice some cuts of meat not being available more often than in the past, but the quality overall for basic cuts tends to be pretty high from my experience.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Out of curiosity, for the meat at TJ's. Is it a quality or supply issue from what you see?

I do notice some cuts of meat not being available more often than in the past, but the quality overall for basic cuts tends to be pretty high from my experience.
In my experience with meat and produce, and I would assume it's a supply issue. I think the quality is generally good. But it seems like items are often on the brink of spoilage (and worse, in a few cases) even well before their sell-by dates. It might also just be the lack of preservatives (which is, ironically, part of their appeal) they use relative to other stores, but I've had more run ins with bad meat or veggies at TJ's than I've had anywhere else. Maybe it's both.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,409,093 times
I’m definitely in the minority, but I’m not a Trader Joe’s fan. I’ve lived within walking distance of one for 20+ years and rarely shop there. I find we just pick up a lot of ancillary stuff when shopping at TJs (snacks, dips, sauces, sweets), but nothing to make meals with. I find their produce to be very poor quality. We do eat meat, I’m willing to pay a premium for better quality meats. Their frozen fish is something I have no interest in.

We make a trek to Wegman’s every few weeks and rely on the nearby H Mart and Whole Foods for daily needs.

Old Today, 07:34 AM

9,122 posts, read 6,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Others seem to like Aldi's instead? I went once, to the Medford location a few years ago. I didn't care too much for it.
I have found that Aldi and Trader Joe's refuse to locate near each other. My area has 3 Aldi stores and no Trader Joe's. I do shop at Aldi and supplement with Shaw's and BJ's Wholesale Club.

Old Today, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I have found that Aldi and Trader Joe's refuse to locate near each other. My area has 3 Aldi stores and no Trader Joe's. I do shop at Aldi and supplement with Shaw's and BJ's Wholesale Club.
Is this true? Off the top of my head, there's an Aldi (Everett) about a mile down the Fellsway from Trader Joe's (Somerville). Warwick RI has a TJ's and Aldi about 2 miles apart (straight shot down Bald Hill Road).

While there's overlap in customers, and they are the same company (so they may not want the competition), I find that the two have very different product lines and mostly serve different demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston