Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 02:40 PM

146 posts, read 73,963 times

Advertisements

Ali was too fast and too smart to allow Tyson to hit him with one of his knock out combinations. Ali didn't have the power to knock Tyson out unless he hit him a thousand times, which Tyson was too good to let happen. It probably would be 12 rounds of watching Tyson chase Ali around the ring with a few punches landing now and then. Ali wins a boring decision is my guess.

A much more interesting matchup for me would be a young, prime Foreman and a prime Tyson. This would be a slugfest with someone getting kfto, most likely Tyson. I'm pretty sure Tyson would have faired much better than Smokin' Joe did, though, and Tyson had the power to knock anyone out even George so he certainly would have had a chance albeit a small one. George would have had a huge height, weight and reach advantage.

Last edited by winston196; 07-06-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 08:12 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Ali.. most def.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:14 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
The better question is could Jake Paul beat Tyson in a match NOW.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:22 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times
Ali would have gotten so far into Tyson's demented mind that Tyson would be owned by Ali by the time they stepped in the ring. At best Tyson is mentally disturbed but he is also is borderline retarded. Ali would have come up with some mind game that would have Tyson defeated by the time he stepped between the ropes. I am not sure what the angle would be, maybe a voodoo curse, or maybe a hooker who would go public and say Mike's manhood was lacking size, I am not sure what it would be but Ali knew how to get into an opponent's mind and prey on their insecurities. But no matter what it was, Tyson would be taken in, his confidence eroded, he would be afraid, full of self doubt, the first time Ali hit him with a stiff jab all Mike's insecurities would come forward and he would hesitate and grow increasingly frustrated. Ali by TKO.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:05 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Mike Tyson would hurt Ali. Ali fought some of the most powerful punchers in boxing history, but he never fought someone with the level of Speed combined with Power that Mike has. Shavers, Foreman were powerful as hell, but they were slow, poor defense, less skill. Mike was a master in all of those skills in his prime. Ali would get himself killed by Mike for leaning on the ropes like he did against Foreman.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:24 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Mike Tyson would hurt Ali. Ali fought some of the most powerful punchers in boxing history, but he never fought someone with the level of Speed combined with Power that Mike has. Shavers, Foreman were powerful as hell, but they were slow, poor defense, less skill. Mike was a master in all of those skills in his prime. Ali would get himself killed by Mike for leaning on the ropes like he did against Foreman.
LOL. Really? Then how do explain Tony Tucker who fought a prime Tyson with essentially only one hand? Tyson never had Tucker in trouble and Tucker was no Ali. Below are my comments on that fight from another thread. Ali was 20 times the boxer Tucker was and Tyson was never able to get to the china chinned, light hitting, one-handed Tony Tucker. Ali was faster, had better footwork, had superior power and a much better chin than Tucker. Note: And I am not a Ali fan, I think Ali and Leonard harmed the sport greatly and lead to its decline in favor of MMA but Ali would have dominated Tyson.

Quote:
The tell in all this was Tony Tucker. I only saw that fight once, the night it happened. I expected to see Tucker, whom I always despised (he reminded me of the contemptible, though intelligent Sugar Ray Leonard)knocked out by Tyson in devastating fashion in the middle rounds. That never happened, in fact Tucker exposed every weakness Tyson had for the world to see. As I remember it watch the opening first three rounds, Tucker was doing a masterful job, but some where in the second round (I think) he busted his hand, I noticed it. Had he not busted his hand he might have beaten Tyson. I recall in round 1 he threw an uppercut and bucked Tyson knees, stopping him in his tracks. As I remember that fight is was like Tucker laid out the blue print for Holyfield and Douglas. Tucker circled Mike, grabbed him, held him, and generally frustrated Tyson. Tyson never had him in real trouble and I pointed out Tucker's uppercut that found a home. Had Tucker been able to throw his right with authority after the second round the outcome may have been very different. Tucker saw Tyson was vulnerable to the uppercut, that was a shrewd move, I can't recall anyone landing one cleaning on Tyson before that (maybe someone did). Consider Tucker survives against Iron Mike in his prime for 10 more rounds even though he effectively only had one hand.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I have been looking at old clips of Tyson extraordinary

Old 11-30-2020, 02:20 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
He may have won the championship again but I wouldn't call that period Muhammed Ali's prime. Push time back a decade and I doubt if Ali uses a rope a dope tactic.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
LOL. Really? Then how do explain Tony Tucker who fought a prime Tyson with essentially only one hand? Tyson never had Tucker in trouble and Tucker was no Ali. Below are my comments on that fight from another thread. Ali was 20 times the boxer Tucker was and Tyson was never able to get to the china chinned, light hitting, one-handed Tony Tucker. Ali was faster, had better footwork, had superior power and a much better chin than Tucker. Note: And I am not a Ali fan, I think Ali and Leonard harmed the sport greatly and lead to its decline in favor of MMA but Ali would have dominated Tyson.
Why are you asking my to explain Mike Tyson fighting somebody else? That's like me having you explain Tyson winning because Joe Frazer beat Ali.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
He may have won the championship again but I wouldn't call that period Muhammed Ali's prime. Push time back a decade and I doubt if Ali uses a rope a dope tactic.
I agree that at that time Ali was past his prime. It would be a classic bout, but I can't bet against a prime Mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing