Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 19,886 times

Advertisements

Heraclid,

Thank you for your kind post.

I too have considered the University of Wyoming.

I like Montana better and the people seem kind.

I think that MSU is going to be a great fit for me too.

I lived in several large cities in the U.S. and I am ready for a hometown feel, with a sense of community, and a love of nature.

I cannot wait to have fresh organic food from one of the CSA's!

I also look forward to sharing my CSA with a food pantry or with an elderly couple so nothing is wasted!

By the way, what is a REI store?

I do have a questions about Montana's winters.
a. Are the winters brutal?
b. How drivable are the streets?
c. Is the snow more wet and icy or dry and powdery?

Any information you could provide would be great!

I look forward to hearing from you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,918 times
REI is a membership based camping store. REI

How brutal the winters are is really going to depend on what you have experienced.

Most streets are cleared in town pretty fast, 4 wheel drive is recommended.

WET and ICY. As a kid I would count how many steps I could take in the snow before falling through the thin layer of ice over the snow.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candigirl View Post
- snip -

c. Is the snow more wet and icy or dry and powdery?
Yes. You will experience both. The wet and icy is usually caused by brief periods of thaw and freeze. But the wet and icy sometimes starts from dry and powdery.

It has been recommended to have 4 wheel drive. That's not a bad idea. However, out of 100,000 people in Billings, less than half have 4 wheel drive and yet they still get around. Where the problem is, you can't always have a job that waits until the snow is bladed, or roads cleaned up. You also have to carefully choose your routes, but with 4 wheel drive you can go when you want and take the route that you want.

If there is a nasty blizzard, it's going to shut everybody down. Just make sure that you keep stocked up on food, and watch the news. If there is a pending storm, don't look at the refridgerator and say, "I still have a quart of milk and 4 eggs, I'll go to the store tomorrow." You may not get to the store, tomorrow. And if you do, by chance get there, the 2 store clerks that could get there, are trying to serve the 150 people that are like you, shopping in the middle of a snowstorm.

You seldom see highways shut down for more than a 24 hour period, nor a town that the streets don't get cleared. Once in a great while it will be a real nasty storm and shut things down for 2 days, but you don't see that very often.

Also, depending on where you live, such as living out in the country, you can't always rely on the roads being cleared. The city, County, and State, clear major routes for fire and ambulance first and foremost. Then they start clearning secondary routes to schools and such. Then they start on what's left. You will also find areas that nobody plows unless it's the people that live in that area.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Bozeman gets 90" of snow per year which is more than any other town of its size in the state. That's also comparable to Buffalo NY which is generally considered snowy. However - you'll notice that even in places like Buffalo and Bozeman many people get around fine with a 2WD vehicle. But if you want to explore the back country and what not, consider 4WD/AWD.

The snow falls very dry and powdery - the Rockies are famous for their powder of course. But in the lower elevations such as Bozeman, the temperatures do sometimes get above freezing which turns the snow to slush and ice.

I've only seen Bozeman crippled from a snowstorm once, in Nov 2009 I believe, when we received a surprise unforecasted 20 inches of snow. Even then, I had a midterm at MSU that day and it wasn't canceled - but the prof did say she was willing to reschedule for those who couldn't show up. Bozeman is different from the prairie in that while it does get more snow, it gets that snow in dribs and drabs for the most part. In the prairie and in Billings for example, the snow often comes in larger blizzards which do mess everything up.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Ms_Christina, ElkHunter, and NYMTman,

WOW!!!

I drive a manual (stick) car with front wheel drive drive.

I will definitely invest in sandbags (to add weight to the car) and good snow tires!

Where I live now, the roads are never cleaned and driving is dangerous and lethal.

I have seen cars fall off the interstates and high streets.

For some reason, this state (city) does not believe guardrails are necessary...

When an advisory for snow comes, gas and food are the main items that people spend hours in line getting...and that is just for an advisory.

Are there any classes (like at the DMV or a driving school) that I can pay to learn how to drive in the winter?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Candigirl

Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,091 times
Quote:
Ms_Christina, ElkHunter, and NYMTman,

Where I live now, the roads are never cleaned and driving is dangerous and lethal.

I have seen cars fall off the interstates and high streets.

For some reason, this state (city) does not believe guardrails are necessary...

When an advisory for snow comes, gas and food are the main items that people spend hours in line getting...and that is just for an advisory.

Are there any classes (like at the DMV or a driving school) that I can pay to learn how to drive in the winter?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Candigirl
Where is this place with the falling cars?

Winter driving in Bozeman isn't so bad in my opinion, but I've been driving in the snow my whole life. Hope you find your way.

TW232

Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM

TW232,

Thanks for your comment!

The place that I was describing was St. Louis, MO. a couple of years ago.

The county cleans up much better than the city; people seem to not understand "black ice" and no guardrails!

Wishing you an awesome winter!

Candigirl!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
One volunteer outfit that I recall, who knows it may be there yet, was a church that provided clothes and food to whomever needed it. Useful and fruitful work and very pleasant camaraderie.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 7,329 times
Quote:

I. Community Service. Community Service is very important to me. I like to be an asset to my community. What are your suggestions in getting involved? What community service organizations are available in Bozeman?
You could join one of the local volunteer fire departments:
Sourdough Fire Department - Serving Bozeman and its surrounding communities wtih Fire and EMS protection for over 80 years - Bozeman Montana
RAE Fire Department : Volunteer Join Our Team
Volunteer - Fort Ellis Fire Rescue, Gallatin County, Montana, Fort Ellis Fire Department
Bridger Canyon Fire Department
Central Valley Fire District/Belgrade City Fire Department: Volunteer Recruitment

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 5,771 times
Default considering moving to Bozeman or other parts of montana

I am a single mother of two and am considering moving to MT. I need to know the best affordable and safest places to live in MT. My needs are close to a university, good schools for my kids, safe place to live, and easy to find a job. I have never been out of arkansas so this is a scary move for me. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
aantrim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman