Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aantrim View Post
I am a single mother of two and am considering moving to MT. I need to know the best affordable and safest places to live in MT. My needs are close to a university, good schools for my kids, safe place to live, and easy to find a job. I have never been out of arkansas so this is a scary move for me. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
aantrim
Bozeman is not affordable unless you are coming from CA with a big bankroll. It is fairly easy to get a job provided you work weekends and show up on time but it will be about what you would make in Arkansas. Schools in MT cities are pretty good compared nationally but the rural districts sometimes have bad results. Bozeman is really geared to the under-25 and from CA crowd. As to safety, most of MT cities are far safer than you are accustomed than even the nicer areas of Little Rock.

I would recommend Billings as the wages are better, the university is smaller and there are more resources for single parents. MSU-Billings has most of the BS/BA degrees offered at Bozeman unless you are going into engineering, architecture or agriculture. If you are going into those fields, Bozeman is likely your better choice in state.

Why MT? You will be paying out of state tuition unless you work in the state for a year without going to school. The climate is very different. Wyoming is much cheaper on instate tuition and Laramie is cheaper to live in. Once you graduate, unless you are a teacher, you will likely be leaving the state again so you can make some money. Jobs in MT pay low and the cost of living in the resort areas is very high. There are some good paying jobs in the state but the only way they open up is if someone dies or retires. Turnover is very low for positions paying more than 75k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,943 times
aantrim, if you are still checking this thread, you didn't say what you want to study. What degree are you looking to attain? Towns in Montana that have a university or college campus are relatively safe compared to other states, but the ease of getting a job depends on your skills and resume. I don't know if it is easy to get a job anywhere, as there are so many applicants for any opening. I've lived in Bozeman for many decades, and although it has grown larger, it is still a rather safe place to raise kids and go to school.

H.I.
Bozeman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman