Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 04:48 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Bozeman in a nutshell. Prices for everything.
https://www.boston.com/news/national...-gold-rush/amp

recent article on the Bozeman BOOM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 10:25 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Think there will be some new suburbs developing soon? Nobody will afford to live there if they're working stiff.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:37 PM

327 posts, read 211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Disgusting article. That there is exactly why Montana is the way it is today. But it really didn’t start to get that way until that one movie came out in 1992. Thanks a lot brad pit.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:07 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I've been eyeing some land outside of Bozeman for a vacation place, at least 5 acres. Requirements are within 30 minutes to 45 minutes drive into town for shopping and basic civilization activities.

This will primarily be used as a seasonal summer home but are these outlying areas outside Bozeman completely inaccessible in the winter for driving into town? Are you snowed in for weeks? Are there any amenities like high speed internet through WISPS or LTE or you all limited to satellite?

The real estate listings within Bozeman have been completely underwhelming. Paying half a million for a crappy tract home with no view is not interesting to me. Thus, why we are looking outside the city for more rural. We want mountains, trees, and no view of anybody else. It's an escape property.

Maybe you could shift your perspective? You want mountain views and trees? Look for 5 acres bare land with a view (BTW, that is not large, according to Montana standards) in the far NW, in Sanders or Lincoln Ct. Something outside of Troy, Libby, Thompson Falls, or even the Yaak (access to Bonners Ferry, ID), or even into North Idaho. And then reimagine your summers to include an RV, and prepare for 2-3 months at your property on a concrete pad, with regular trips to an RV campground with a hook-up.

We spent three summers at our property in North Idaho in a camper while assessing the best spot to build our cabin. While having a retirement cabin was our goal, spending the summer on one's own property, in a camper/RV, is definitely an acceptable compromise if one doesn't need winter access. Then, over time, you can decide to build a pole barn for your tools and toys, or a car/truck that stays at the property permanently. And you can assess whether you want year-round access (and get a modular home or a log home kit, or go all-out and build a house), or whether summer visits will be enough for you. I would choose that route over a 2-3 month rental.

Don't let yourself get talked out of the dream of spending summers in the NW. But you just need to consider several options and remain flexible.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:31 PM

560 posts, read 437,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachofries View Post
But it really didn’t start to get that way until that one movie came out in 1992. Thanks a lot brad pit.
Fun fact, that stupid movie was filmed entirely in Canada, Alberta and BC to be exact. Irony?

Old 10-31-2020, 09:45 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Fun fact, that stupid movie was filmed entirely in Canada, Alberta and BC to be exact. Irony?
Fun fact, most of that stupid movie was filmed in the Livingston area just 25 miles east of Bozeman. I do think this may have contributed to the discovery of Montana and the Bozeman area. Bozeman in 1992 was unrecognizable from what it is today.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Fun fact, most of that stupid movie was filmed in the Livingston area just 25 miles east of Bozeman. I do think this may have contributed to the discovery of Montana and the Bozeman area. Bozeman in 1992 was unrecognizable from what it is today.
So, what movie are you talking about? I was referring to legends of the fall, which was filmed in Canada. Did he do another movie about or with anything to do with Montana that I’m not aware of?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_of_the_Fall

Old 10-31-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
So, what movie are you talking about? I was referring to legends of the fall, which was filmed in Canada. Did he do another movie about or with anything to do with Montana that I’m not aware of?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_of_the_Fall
I assumed it was The Horse Whisperer. The set is still standing on a guest ranch, according to a friend of mine.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I assumed it was The Horse Whisperer. The set is still standing on a guest ranch, according to a friend of mine.
Gotcha. Not a fan of his so I didn’t even know anything about that movie. Cool that the set is still there...probably dilapidated though. Either way, screw brad pitt.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. Not a fan of his so I didn’t even know anything about that movie. Cool that the set is still there...probably dilapidated though. Either way, screw brad pitt.

Pitt? That's the other Montana movie,A River Runs Through It. Missoula location. The Horse Whisperer is with Redford. But Redford narrated A River Runs Through It. They're all in cahoots...
(I like both movies, BTW!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman