Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,700,084 times

Advertisements

Ouch!
That is going to be a tough sell. Do you attend church? Your denomination would be a good contact source, maybe even a family with an extra room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,133,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
She is going to need some serious winter clothes. Here is a good place to start.
Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.
Another source that I have used for approx 18 years is:
Sierra Trading Post – Great Deals. Great Brands.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM

475 posts, read 1,501,181 times
Yes the money is going to be a problem. AmeriCorp has recommended that she apply for Food Stamps and an Energy Subsidy to help with her food and heating costs. We already know we are
going to have to help her. She is a good kid, with a big heart. This assignment will do so much for her in the future as she wants to be a Teacher. When other kids were partying their way through college, she was volunteering in the Elementary school to help teach under privalaged children to read. When she had her first job at 15 working at a movie theater, she took her money at Christmas and bought some clothes and a bicycle for child that was listed with the Salvation Army. So when you have a daughter like that, you do everything in your power to help her.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM

503 posts, read 1,457,330 times
Reed that is awesome!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:19 PM

519 posts, read 1,379,313 times
Reedsmit sounds like your daughter is a beautiful person. Good luck to your family.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Yes the money is going to be a problem. AmeriCorp has recommended that she apply for Food Stamps and an Energy Subsidy to help with her food and heating costs. We already know we are
going to have to help her. She is a good kid, with a big heart. This assignment will do so much for her in the future as she wants to be a Teacher. When other kids were partying their way through college, she was volunteering in the Elementary school to help teach under privalaged children to read. When she had her first job at 15 working at a movie theater, she took her money at Christmas and bought some clothes and a bicycle for child that was listed with the Salvation Army. So when you have a daughter like that, you do everything in your power to help her.
Well experiences make us who we are!
Have you considered contacting any churches in the area? Might be a long shot. Also could anyone at Montana State help? I am brainstorming for you Keep us updated!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM

317 posts, read 1,092,080 times
The University has several bulletin boards where people can post roommate requests among other things. Most students are pretty broke though so the University itself won't be able to extend any help.

I'd highly discourage your daugther from accepting public assistance like food stamps and energy assistance. The energy assistance money in Montana is given by neighbors as part of the monthly power bill, and most people are expecting it will be given to elderly neighbors who are on fixed income rather than 22 year old college graduates.

One of the strong Montana values is to live within your means and to not look to assistance from the outside. While your daughter is doing something good for the community, she shouldn't expect assistance from them to help her live there. Lots of people want to live in Montana, and lots are willing to live in Montana without public assistance.

$800 a month is very doable in Bozeman if your daughter is willing to live a thrifty lifestyle. (Hint: 4WD vehicles aren't part of a thrifty lifestyle.) If she gets roommates, $250 or $300 a month in housing should be reasonable, and then add maybe $200 a month for food plus $100 or $200 for utilities and gas, so she will do fine.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,133,047 times
[quote=cedar_bluff_tree_farm;

$800 a month is very doable in Bozeman if your daughter is willing to live a thrifty lifestyle. (Hint: 4WD vehicles aren't part of a thrifty lifestyle.) If she gets roommates, $250 or $300 a month in housing should be reasonable, and then add maybe $200 a month for food plus $100 or $200 for utilities and gas, so she will do fine.[/QUOTE.]

Realizing that we all are entitled to our opinions.........I do take strong exception to the statement:" Hint: 4WD vehicles aren't part of a thrifty lifestyle."

I had suggested that she drive an AWD vehicle, and submit the following detailed reasons:

(NOTE: This young lady HAS NO EXPERIENCE DRIVING IN TYPICAL MONTANA WINTER WEATHER) IMHO, lets give her every advantage to having as safe a vehicle as possible. Since the location of her lodging has not been determined, she well could have several miles of "slippery" and/or snow covered roads/streets to just get to her office.
Or, she could also end up with lodging that would be quite close to her office......She still will be driving for reasons other than work-related.
She is not supplying the funds for the vehicle...her parents are.
Thus, an AWD vehicle is not directly or in-directly related to living a Thrifty Life Style.
It cost no more to drive an AWD (or a 4WD) vehicle than a 2 WD vehicle,
the additional cost is in the acquisition of the vehicle.
Bozeman is "bracketed" on 1-90 by Bozeman Pass on the east and Homestake Pass on the west. If she wants to go to Helena, she will also have to go over Elk Park Pass. If she wants to go skiing at Big Sky, she will go from 4810' elevation to approx 10000' . Again, IMHO an AWD vehicle with studded snows (for a 22 yr old women with NO experience related to winter driving,....is mandatory. Again, this vehicle suggestion is just my opinion.

And if you are wondering why I feel this strongly about the vehicle she will be driving, I offer the folowing:

I have been driving in mountainous & (snow country ) since 1946. In total I have driven in excess of (2) million miles. I feel very comfortable with my suggestions to the parent(s)of this young lady, based on what I have witnessed over these many, many miles driven in lousy winter weather in 'snow country'.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 PM

I agree with you Griz. The winter in Montana is nothing to fool around with. You can die in it.
We are all trying to help a concerned mom, not make a political statement.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 AM

475 posts, read 1,501,181 times
Thank you. And yes she is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman