Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM

323 posts, read 1,132,595 times

Advertisements

I thought AmeriCorps arranged for its volunteers to live in free housing? I'm sure it wouldn't be luxurious - but it would be free. I'd expect Montana State University would have some dorm situation for them. Rent is pretty high here in Bozeman and she'd be spending about half her income on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM

475 posts, read 1,499,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
I thought AmeriCorps arranged for its volunteers to live in free housing? I'm sure it wouldn't be luxurious - but it would be free. I'd expect Montana State University would have some dorm situation for them. Rent is pretty high here in Bozeman and she'd be spending about half her income on it.
In some areas they do, But not MT. $800 before taxes does not leave much to live on.
AmeriCorp will pay for her plane ticket, and will ship pay up to $500 for her belongings to be shipped. And a small relocation allowance.

We will look for her to share an apt or rent a room - ads seem to be $350 - $550 and some utilities.
So that is going to pretty much take use her entire salary. She is not allowed to make any other commitment such as a part time.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:55 PM

317 posts, read 1,091,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
MSU only rents to students. By law, Montana state government cannot compete with the private sector (such as housing).

Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,127,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
And you are very welcome! The weather thread here on the forum is usefull also, there is currentlly a watch in the Boz area, Elk Hunter keeps us up to date
Just a little up-date bit-of-info re Bozeman/Snow/AWD vehicles.

10 minutes ago (6:15 pm MDT) the Montana Weather Service office reported
12" to 22" of snow in the Bozeman area, and it is still snowing. The depths up around 22" are in the south Bozeman area.

I wonder how many people without AWD or 4WD capability might be wishing they had not chosen a 2 WD vehicle.

(NOTE: To Reedsmit>>>> IMO you have made the correct choice for your daughter. I think we may be in store for "an old fashioned Montana winter".)
What people forget is: when it snows like this, The various road crews cannot get all the roads and streets in a given area (Bozeman in this case) plowed in just a couple of hours.

The other thing that usually occurs is: The more desireable AWD & 4WD vehicles get purchased quite quickly----when there is a storm like this that MAY signal what kind of a winter this area might have.

I would really like to hear from NYMTman..... I believe he lives on the south side of Bozeman.. I'm guessing he got over 2 feet (or more) on the level.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 11-12-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: correct spelling/Bozeman

Old 11-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Honestly I could not imagine not owning a car around here. Walking or biking through -30 degree windchills? No thanks.
Hey NYMTman..............

How much snow have you received in your south/Bozeman location from this current storm. NWS at 6 pm (Nov 12) said 12 to 22" in the Bozeman area.

Appreciate an up-date...............Thanks

Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,562,625 times
Hehe yep around 22", maybe even a tad more than that

A fantastic day. So quiet on the roads; so beautiful.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM

This pic says it all (the fence is four feet tall):

Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Hehe yep around 22", maybe even a tad more than that

A fantastic day. So quiet on the roads; so beautiful.
Thanks......keep us up-dated..........Oh yea, almost forgot: CARPE DIEM!

Old 11-12-2009, 08:51 PM

475 posts, read 1,499,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Just a little up-date bit-of-info re Bozeman/Snow/AWD vehicles.

10 minutes ago (6:15 pm MDT) the Montana Weather Service office reported
12" to 22" of snow in the Bozeman area, and it is still snowing. The depths up around 22" are in the south Bozeman area.

I wonder how many people without AWD or 4WD capability might be wishing they had not chosen a 2 WD vehicle.

(NOTE: To Reedsmit>>>> IMO you have made the correct choice for your daughter. I think we may be in store for "an old fashioned Montana winter".)
What people forget is: when it snows like this, The various road crews cannot get all the roads and streets in a given area (Bozeman in this case) plowed in just a couple of hours.

The other thing that usually occurs is: The more desireable AWD & 4WD vehicles get purchased quite quickly----when there is a storm like this that MAY signal what kind of a winter this area might have.

I would really like to hear from NYMTman..... I believe he lives on the south side of Bozeman.. I'm guessing he got over 2 feet (or more) on the level.
Not sure if I am grateful for the pictures and weather update. I think I went right from grateful to panic. I seriously want to keep her in FL. Sometimes it is not so easy to let your children go to follow their dreams. But thank you for the updates.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:18 PM

A little bit of snow won't hurt her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman