Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,284,973 times

Advertisements

Eons ago June received one of her degrees in Comparative Religions, and for a while practiced non-theistic Zen, due to her atheist status. June has since forgotten much of what Tantric Buddhism entails, so was wondering whether any of you could refresh her memory. June recalls that it had a very sexual component to it, but clearly possesses more than just that. Any information in restoring June's memory would be much appreciated, and hopefully bring back her lapse in memory regarding this form of Buddhism. Thanks in advance.

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
While Awk, during his Buddhist period, read a bit on Tibetan Buddhism and it origins in the Tantric form of Indian Buddhism integrated with the Shamanistic Tibetan - native 'Bon' religion, and appreciated the Tibetan scrolls so prized by museums, collectors and hippy tourists to Nepal in the 70's (I must have been the only Westerner in Kathmandu not out of his mind on stash) He is no expert on the subject.

However, since nobody else has seen fit to respond to June's lonely post, he is willing at least to do some research together with June seven by way of a refresher course.

I may say that I was mainly interested in the 11th c. conflict between Kyanzittha of Bagan who evidently favoured Indian Tantric Buddhism and made it rather the royal cult and the Theravada monks at the capital whose temples used a decoration of rows of Buddha images without the sinuous temple - dancers of the Royal temple art. By the 14th c and later Theravada won out and the huge late temples were entirely Thervada.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
While Awk, during his Buddhist period, read a bit on Tibetan Buddhism and it origins in the Tantric form of Indian Buddhism integrated with the Shamanistic Tibetan - native 'Bon' religion, and appreciated the Tibetan scrolls so prized by museums, collectors and hippy tourists to Nepal in the 70's (I must have been the only Westerner in Kathmandu not out of his mind on stash) He is no expert on the subject.

However, since nobody else has seen fit to respond to June's lonely post, he is willing at least to do some research together with June seven by way of a refresher course.

I may say that I was mainly interested in the 11th c. conflict between Kyanzittha of Bagan who evidently favoured Indian Tantric Buddhism and made it rather the royal cult and the Theravada monks at the capital whose temples used a decoration of rows of Buddha images without the sinuous temple - dancers of the Royal temple art. By the 14th c and later Theravada won out and the huge late temples were entirely Thervada.
June thanks you for your post,Arequipa! She had to chuckle at the fact that you were to only one not stoned back in the 70's, however, had you been so those temples may have taken on a whole new meaning! It annoys June to no end that Tanrtic Buddhism is the one aspect of Buddhism that she is so lacking in intellectually. Your post helped to kick off what will hopefully be more responses! In the meantime, we can both "research" what needs to be done.

P.S. The brief 'third person' suits you greatly! Touche!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 AM

I thought we might start with the origins of tantra in the Mahayana/Theravada split and the developments into various sects. Perhaps avoiding the struggle between Buddhism and Hinduism in India and the Indian states of south -east asia.

On the thread or would you prefer to do it between ourselves?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I thought we might start with the origins of tantra in the Mahayana/Theravada split and the developments into various sects. Perhaps avoiding the struggle between Buddhism and Hinduism in India and the Indian states of south -east asia.

On the thread or would you prefer to do it between ourselves?
Would prefer to do it on the thread, assuming others will join in, otherwise between ourselves would work fine. Only problem for June is time in researching, but will manage putting in the time as it fascinates her. --But am hoping that (possibly?) others would join into this thread, as well. Was rather surprised that there wasn't one devoted to Tantric Buddhism. Would also LOVE to do a thread devoted to Zen. Maybe we could do that afterwards?

You seem well versed in the topic far better than June at this point, as it was back in college, eons ago, that she studied Tantric Buddhism, so any "refresher course" would be of help and of course appreciated fun! June agrees that starting with the split of Theravada and Mahayana would be good jumping off points.

Am game if you are!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM

It would make a change from the usual wrangling with the religious.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,103,252 times
The Woodchuck like the June has basically forgotten everything he ever knew about Tantric. This will give the Chucker a reason to go back to the dinosaur era and try to refresh his memory. Back in the old days this woodchuck was into cheap wine, Lenny Bruce, Bongo Drums, the poetry of Jack Kerouac and Zen. The cheap wine may be the reason for the memory lapse.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM

63,884 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Unlike like you Hippies and love children, I had little interest in the Tantric version . . . my quest was more focused on withdrawal from the sensory experiences of reality. I avoided the mumbo jumbo of Buddhism especially the sexual aspects as counterproductive. You might want to download a copy of this ebook for your discussions Tantric Buddhism and Altered States of Consciousness. I make no representations about the site or its policies and I have NOT downloaded anything from it.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,345,218 times
Here's a nice, concise article on the subject......and there's more down below under Related Articles.

Buddhist Tantra - Introduction to Buddhist Tantra

Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Here's a nice, concise article on the subject......and there's more down below under Related Articles.

Buddhist Tantra - Introduction to Buddhist Tantra
This is one excellent article that highlights for June much of what she had forgotten! Thank you so much for citing it!

What June seems to recall the most readily were the Buddhist temples with very erotic walls and sculptures, however, she also knew that there was more to Tantric than just the "sexual aspect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism