Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:43 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster3097 View Post
Any advice as to where to get a loan to buy an existing business. A friend is selling a business for 95K. I have already had the books looked at and everything is good. I don't have any money to put down. Housing prices in my area (CA) are dropping a little. I have a real estate loan officer looking at a loan against my house, but he isn't sounding too optimistic. I will be running the business, will net me 80K a year, and my husband will keep his job (65K) a year. We can live off of the business income and my husband's income can pay off the loan... in 2 years. If I can come up with 50k down, my friend will finance the rest. I know he wants to sell and retire, so that is my last resort. I would still need the 50K down. Any suggestions?
Money is tight right now (as you know) and selling a business will not be easy for your friend. If you can't get a loan I would suggest to your friend that he finance the whole deal and you will repay him at an advanced rate such as 100 percent in two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
If you can't get a loan I would suggest to your friend that he finance the whole deal and you will repay him at an advanced rate such as 100 percent in two years.
If you can't get a loan, you shouldn't be buying a business. And definitely don't go the loanshark route! Because 100% in two years is something loan sharks would ask.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
If you can't get a loan, you shouldn't be buying a business. And definitely don't go the loanshark route! Because 100% in two years is something loan sharks would ask.
Yep. The number one cause of new business failure (Aside from outright owner stupidity) is not being sufficiently capitalized.

That was the problem in the housing crisis. People were getting interest-only loans and ARMs to squeeze into a house they couldn't otherwise afford. Same thing with business. If you can't scrape together the funds to run the business for months without making your monthly nut using worst-case projections, then save your money and your sanity.

To be sure, there are people who have pulled it off. But for every heart-warming story like that, there are hundreds who wound up going under.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
The only thing worse than buying yourself a job...
is to borrow money to do that with.

hth

Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
If you can't get a loan, you shouldn't be buying a business.
I completely disagree with this on numerous counts. Just because someone cant get a loan, this doesnt mean they shouldnt be buying a business. We recently sold a business in PA and the buyer couldnt get a loan, but we sold it to him anyways, taking payments for the next 20 years for various reasons. The main reason was we wanted out. He came to us with a sound business plan, he had 5 other similar businesses, and he came vastly qualified. Now you might consider us holding paper for him as a "loan", because technically it is, but he clearly didnt obtain one from an outside source.

On the same count, I'm buying up a steel company in Texas and I cant get a loan to finance the deal, so we have the seller going to the bank borrowing the money, and then I'm going to take over ownership of the corporation under a LBO. Truth be told I cant tell the difference between steel or iron, but the fundamentals are sound, its got a 60+ year history of being in business, over 100 employees, and a well established management team in place.

If you let inability to obtain a loan stop you, especially in this economy, you are losing out on a ton of opportunity.

Last edited by pghquest; 12-15-2011 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you let inability to obtain a loan stop you, especially in this economy, you are losing out on a ton of opportunity.
I think they said this right before the financial crisis happened too. People borrowing money for things they cannot afford because they "don't want to lose an opportunity" to cash in on the then white-hot real estate market.

It sounds fine and dandy for you - the guy brokering the deal and making money - but what about the poor ******* who is stuck with the business, paying 100% on the loan with no guarantees on whether the business may or may not turn around?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
I think they said this right before the financial crisis happened too. People borrowing money for things they cannot afford because they "don't want to lose an opportunity" to cash in on the then white-hot real estate market.

It sounds fine and dandy for you - the guy brokering the deal and making money - but what about the poor ******* who is stuck with the business, paying 100% on the loan with no guarantees on whether the business may or may not turn around?
If you want a guarantee in life, stay home living with your parents

Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If you want a guarantee in life, stay home living with your parents
I'm perfectly happy doing so because I'm not paying rent and my parents have a home that's not foreclosed on because they didn't get into debt with a home they couldn't afford.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Quote:
I completely disagree with this on numerous counts. Just because someone cant get a loan, this doesnt mean they shouldnt be buying a business. We recently sold a business in PA and the buyer couldnt get a loan, but we sold it to him anyways, taking payments for the next 20 years for various reasons. The main reason was we wanted out. He came to us with a sound business plan, he had 5 other similar businesses, and he came vastly qualified. Now you might consider us holding paper for him as a "loan", because technically it is, but he clearly didnt obtain one from an outside source.

On the same count, I'm buying up a steel company in Texas and I cant get a loan to finance the deal, so we have the seller going to the bank borrowing the money, and then I'm going to take over ownership of the corporation under a LBO. Truth be told I cant tell the difference between steel or iron, but the fundamentals are sound, its got a 60+ year history of being in business, over 100 employees, and a well established management team in place.

Agree with this.... If you have a good business opportunity, don't let inability to get a loan stop you. There are often other creative financing options out there that make financial sense as you have shown. Obtaining commercial loans/line of credits are not the same as obtaining a primary home mortgage. Not sure why people think they are synonymous. Business credit and leverage are used (and often necessary) to build and grow successful businesses which generate profits. This is far different from overpaying for a depreciating primary residence which makes no income.

One of my biggest competitors just approached me for a buyout as the owners want to retire and have no succession plan. The business is overpriced and I won't finance with a bank loan, so we are also investigating alternate financing options now.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,404 times
I am NY resident but intending to buy a running business in FL. Should I apply for loan in NY or in FL or it does not matter.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business