Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,084,390 times

Advertisements

I am planning on buying an RV, not looking for anything too extravagent, but I am curious as to whether I should buy new or if I should buy used to save money. I would like basically a trailer to be towed rather than something like a fifth wheel

Any advise would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,159,198 times
Used. But... check it out thoroughly. If you don't know enough about RV's yourself, hire someone who does. You'll be thankful you did. There are some great bargains to be had... but inform yourself prior to shopping. Do your due diligence now.

A few questions to ask yourself first...

1. What kind of RV do you want? You said towable... does this mean bumper pull or fiver?
2. What kind of RVing will you be doing? Weekend warrior camping or traveling long distance?
3. How much time will you spend in the RV?
4. How many do you need to sleep?
5. What will you be pulling it with? A car or do you have a large 3/4 or 1 ton pickup?
6. Size matters. Where will you be staying? State parks (usually small RV spaces) or are RV parks and resorts more your thing (large spaces designed for todays larger units?)
7. How many slides if any?
8. Are you going to be camping in cold weather or warm only? Cold weather RVing can be a challenge even in a four-season RV... Know the difference! Not all RV's are created equal, especially when someone says, "it's four-season". Not necessarily...

After you've decided WHAT unit you want... then start price shopping. Look @ new (to get an idea) of price.... then take off about 25% off the MSRP. You should be able to walk out of any dealer with that price... That will give you an approximation of what the unit you are looking at cost new. Then.. start looking at used models...

Lastly... buy a floorplan that you will be happy with! Don't compromise just because of price, otherwise you will be unhappy and looking to trade quickly. When looking @ the rig, sit down, picture yourself camping/living in the rig. Where will you put your stuff? Can you function if it rains all weekend long? Can you live comfortably for weeks/months?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,895,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I am planning on buying an RV, not looking for anything too extravagent, but I am curious as to whether I should buy new or if I should buy used to save money. I would like basically a trailer to be towed rather than something like a fifth wheel

Any advise would be appreciated
You can get some good deals if you buy used - however you can have problems if the previous owner didn't do proper maintenance such as winterizing it. Sometimes you can tell the moment you step into a trailer or RV that it was stored where moisture got in because of mildew odor. The refrigerator wasn't kept clean and you open the door and get that smell.

If you have the cash, it could be a lot cheaper to buy used from an individual rather than a dealer.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,858 posts, read 58,487,579 times
Buy used,

for trailers your want;
Good distributed weight
Well maintained brakes,
aluminum rather that wood construction in walls,
few seams to leak, (no water damage),
LOW mileage,
decent tires (not just tread, but Weight / heat rated, and recent date of manufacture <7 yrs)

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,307,440 times
If money is a prime concern, you should be able to save some by buying used, but KNOW what the same thing would cost used. I see some that are 5 years old being advertised for what you could purchase the same thing new!

Aus10 mentioned taking 25% off the "MSRP", but that's just a start. I'd use 35% off as a better guide. That means a $30K camper should sell new for under 20K. What's it worth if it's 5 years old? Tires probably need replaced, even if they've never been used. No warranty. Exterior is aging. $10K?

Also, not to dissuade you from using this site at all, but check out rv.net for more opinions. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,041,874 times
I am going to go a different direction, I say buy new. It appears that you are new to the RV market and have limited experience in this field. By buying new any issues that arise (and they will arise) with the unit you buy will be covered under a full warranty. So that means no additional expense for you. If you buy used and don’t have the hands on experience to fix any and all problems then that means you have to pay someone to fix these problems. Used units can have major problems, heck new units can have major problems…the only difference is who pays to have those problems fixed.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
If money is a prime concern, you should be able to save some by buying used, but KNOW what the same thing would cost used. I see some that are 5 years old being advertised for what you could purchase the same thing new!

Aus10 mentioned taking 25% off the "MSRP", but that's just a start. I'd use 35% off as a better guide. That means a $30K camper should sell new for under 20K. What's it worth if it's 5 years old? Tires probably need replaced, even if they've never been used. No warranty. Exterior is aging. $10K?

Also, not to dissuade you from using this site at all, but check out rv.net for more opinions. Good luck.
Wyo... I've been a regular there for years. When we purchased our first new RV (fiver)... we got 29% off. Of course, that was way back in 2002 on a special order so we felt that was pretty good at the time. In 07 when we bought the coach I think it was around 25%. 35% now... maybe it's time to start shopping again?

Another thing that any newbie to RVing needs to be made aware of.... orphan units. No matter if they buy new or used, I would be very hesitant to buy a unit made by a company no longer in business. Some very good friends of ours have a Travel Supreme fiver (great unit!) but since TS went out of business finding parts has become a real PITA for them....... Once again... some due diligence will save headaches in the long run....

Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,307,440 times
Aus10,

Me too, for years. Isn't everyone?

I'm talking about 5ers/TTs, not motorhomes. You can get a pretty good idea of what discounts are readily available simply by shooting off an email to one of the major rv wholesalers. I did that on a couple different units a few years ago (when we thought we were about to retire) and was offered discounts of around 37% on both (top line Jayco and Crossroads).

Even before that, my wife and I had stopped at a local dealer to look at a Fleetwood Quantum. We weren't too interested as Fleetwood just wasn't on my radar, but my wife LOVED the floorplan, so we briefly talked with the salesman. He wanted to know what kind of discount it would take to make a sale. I said at least 35%. And a free generator. He winced but said they could do it.

If you have a trade-in, they're going to give less discount so they can price your trade-in higher. And if you're willing to give MSRP, they'll probably take that too.

I don't even know what kind of discount we got on our current 5er. I was given a price. I asked what the list price was, and the old gent (small dealership) asks back, "Does it matter?" Nope. He had gone out on a Saturday morning and helped us get our old broken 5er off the road and to his lot. He had some good PR going for him.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 02-22-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,895,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I am going to go a different direction, I say buy new. It appears that you are new to the RV market and have limited experience in this field. By buying new any issues that arise (and they will arise) with the unit you buy will be covered under a full warranty. So that means no additional expense for you. If you buy used and don’t have the hands on experience to fix any and all problems then that means you have to pay someone to fix these problems. Used units can have major problems, heck new units can have major problems…the only difference is who pays to have those problems fixed.
I kind of agree with that -- it all depends on how the previous owner used the unit and how it was maintained and stored, but also looking around for a good used trailer might consume a good chunk of time.

I know when I looked at some used trailers, the smell of mildew steered me away from them, I don't know if there had been a water leak or if the trailer had once come from a very humid region but I would be concerned about floorboards in that case and other water or moisture damage.

It could also be difficult to tell if the trailer was pulled over rough terrain. Sometimes you get what you pay for, especially if you aren't an expert on how to judge a trailer. Leaking water lines can be covered up.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 AM

95 posts, read 290,905 times
Hi Folks I want to thank you for taking the time to post all this valuable information. I think we are going to start semi retirement next year so looking at all options. We bought a used Motor Home in early 90s 12k miles, it was perfect. We were both working but every wknd and vacations even New England winters we were camping.
So since all of us nearing retirement have to watch our pennies, a TT seems a good option.
Any opinions on Towing Issues: We are looking at a Nissan Frontier not sure 4x2 or 4x4 , we would be camping in Fl for 3-4 months, 6cyl it states its towing is 6300lbs ok thanks in advance for any insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing