Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:10 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,948,576 times

Advertisements

I have a Meetup group that I camp with fairly often. We also hike and kayak. Nice bunch of people, most of us are single.

While we are camping someone always brings some unique liquor to sample. Our current fave is butter pecan moonshine someone picked up while camping in the Smoky Mtns.

We are camping again in two weeks...aware that it may be cold. Most campers will go kayaking but I tore something in my shoulder so I can only hike. Plenty of places to hike. Group of 10-15.

What activities would you plan for hanging around the campsite after hiking/kayaking and before drinking starts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 01:54 PM

34,218 posts, read 83,415,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
What activities would you plan for hanging around the campsite after hiking/kayaking ...
Curling up under a blanket with some Aleve

Old 03-09-2021, 05:25 AM

3,781 posts, read 4,283,047 times
If you are drinking moonshine from the Appalachians such as butter pecan moonshine; just go all the way and make some Purple Passions with grape Welche's grapeade and white lightening or get it over with faster and use formaldehyde instead of white lightening.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:30 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,845,311 times
there are many things I enjoy doing, but my absolute favorite is - nothing at all. Just sit in my chair and watch the sky. After a lifetime of being busy, well....

Old 03-09-2021, 09:45 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,102,118 times
When my whole family gets together, we play a game. I'm not sure what it's called, but you just need a piece of lined paper, and a pencil or pen.

1. On the back of the paper, write your name or initials.
2. Everyone writes a sentence, or a partial sentence. When done, pass it once, to your left.
3. When everyone gets their neighbor's piece of paper, read the sentence, and then add a sentence.
4. After adding the sentence, fold the paper so that you only see YOUR sentence, and then pass it to the left again.

5. Continue to do this (always only seeing one sentence at a time) until you get your own sheet of paper back.

6. When everyone gets their own sheet of paper back, everyone take turns reading the stories out loud.

We love this game. It's hilarious to us.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,858 posts, read 58,495,122 times
When the guns come out (after drinking)... running might be a good activity.

If it is a more calm and intellectual group, consider doing some story telling exercises. There are several camping related models.
Campfire Story Telling Tips
  1. Narrate from personal experience or from a story you've heard.
  2. Avoid reading. ...
  3. Just remember the key points of the story and modify the story to suit your audience.
  4. Take in aspects of your surroundings. ...
  5. Set the story in the same weather conditions. ...
  6. Vary sound.

https://campminder.com/go/campfire-s...lling-masters/

Once the drinking is beyond stories... take up hearty singing (with Covid masks on, of course)
There are many campfire songs..
https://coolofthewild.com/campfire-songs/
https://matadornetwork.com/bnt/the-5...s-of-all-time/

If you have some sea farers do some Sea Shanty songs. https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2021/...-sea-shanties/

Old 03-09-2021, 12:39 PM

3,327 posts, read 1,813,256 times
Few things compare to good conversation around a campfire.

...with a little sippin' whisky, maybe a pipe full of good tobacco

and checkers, chess for the intellectuals.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:11 AM

17,657 posts, read 22,747,378 times
Look into the night sky for shooting stars......look for objects you perceive might be UFO's...
Look into the fire with visions in your head...
Take photos of beautiful scenery. During the day go exploring different areas.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:38 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,691,442 times
Roast marshmallows! Make s'mores!

Food would be a good thing before the moonshine - butter pecan sounds amazing! It seems like I spent so much time cooking and cleaning and minding kids, that I just wanted to finally fall into a camp chair and talk and not have to engage my mind in anything besides idle chatter or staring at nature.

I highly suggest hot dogs, even a vegan version if that's your preference, and buns, and sit around roasting weenies and toasting buns and making s'mores.

Ghost stories are always fun. Maybe a contest for the scariest ghost story.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:56 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,199,212 times
We read, play board games, listen to music, nap, eat snacks, and sing songs/talk around the campfire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing