Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 04:12 AM

51,679 posts, read 25,940,382 times

Advertisements

Planning to buy a 28-33 ft travel trailer to live in while our home is fixed up and sold, and then live in while we look for a new home in a community about 300 miles away. Both places in North Carolina,

However, do not want to drive it ourselves. No suitable vehicle, nor any relevant experience.

How do people go about finding someone to move their trailers?

What should we expect it to cost?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 07:19 AM

34,149 posts, read 83,217,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Planning to buy a 28-33 ft travel trailer to live in while our home is fixed up and sold,
and then live in while we look for a new home in a community about 300 miles away.
Both places in North Carolina
Assuming you have a legal spot to park the rig ... the SELLER should be able to get it there.
Make it an understood part of the deal and it won't cost one dime extra.
The dealers will also have a list of people with trucks willing to do some local hauling.
Quote:
What should we expect it to cost?
A lot less than buying a truck.
eg: $X for the hook up and unhooking at each end ... plus $Y per mile.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:03 AM

7,070 posts, read 6,336,981 times
Not helpful Mr rational

I googled transport travel trailers and there were a few that specialize in that. It looks like they'll give a quote.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,310,542 times
Sounds like OP has a regional specific need. Google search is not very conducive to that, local dealers are a better resource, tho seller would be the first and likely least expensive.

Uship or hotshotters are a couple other choices, but they operate USA wide, so finding a local one might require a hunt.

Could also ask at local LT campgrounds. Maybe a retiree with a truck would like some gas money.

I end up spending about $60 - $100/hr for professional short hauls (heavy equipment). 300 mile route will be best if driver has a backhaul. If not... 5 hours deadhead (fuel + time + rig use)

Old 07-23-2021, 10:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,394,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Not helpful Mr rational

I googled transport travel trailers and there were a few that specialize in that. It looks like they'll give a quote.
Why "not helpful"? Have you ASKED the seller/dealer what provisions they can make? A private seller may be able and willing to take it to your location for a fee. A dealer should have multiple solutions available.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:27 AM

I could likely get the seller to transport to our home where it will sit for a month or so while the work gets done to get the house ready to sell.

But once it sells, we will need it hauled to an RV park 300 miles away. Then likely hauled to wherever we buy if we decide to keep it and use it as guest quarters. If not, the buyer can figure out how to move it.

Perhaps we should look around at RV parks in the area we intend to buy. Perhaps there is someone there we could hire to drive here and haul it back.

I've googled and put in my information, but have not heard back. The firms all seem geared to more cross country type hauling.

I've asked at a local RV dealer. Apparently, someone knows someone who does this as a side hustle. No idea how much this guy charges.

So I thought I'd ask here how to go about it.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sounds like OP has a regional specific need. Google search is not very conducive to that, local dealers are a better resource, tho seller would be the first and likely least expensive.

Uship or hotshotters are a couple other choices, but they operate USA wide, so finding a local one might require a hunt.

Could also ask at local LT campgrounds. Maybe a retiree with a truck would like some gas money.

I end up spending about $60 - $100/hr for professional short hauls (heavy equipment). 300 mile route will be best if driver has a backhaul. If not... 5 hours deadhead (fuel + time + rig use)
So someone might do this for $1,000 or so?

Old 07-23-2021, 11:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,310,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So someone might do this for $1,000 or so?
~ accurate / reasonable. But a retiree might do it for $600. especially if headed that direction for some other purpose.

If seller can hang onto it for that month, then take it direct to your final location, that may be a plus.

Consider if you were making a living / interrupting your business to do this
300mi one way = ~10hrs RT + (2 hrs hook / locate-time) ~60 gal of fuel = ~$600 labor for a driver and $200 +/- fuel + time

as an example... I had a friend (retiree) in AZ sell his RV trailer to another of my friend's (oil worker) in central TX. It was about 600mi One-way. Seller delivered for $500 (a real bargain, but a nice road trip for the retiree)

option...
Lots of Hotshotters look for regional work to fill gaps in cross country trips, especially handy if you are quite flexible in delivery date. .

Old 07-25-2021, 08:04 AM

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

I think this might be doable.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:26 PM

17,650 posts, read 22,704,071 times
Go to the local American Legion/ VFW/ DAV...ask a member, bar tender, etc if they know a retired veteran who might be able to help you out. Many veterans have recreational vehicles/ trucks/ are Snowbirds,/have a lot of spare time, who head south in the winter.
Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing