Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:20 PM

639 posts, read 402,590 times

Advertisements

My new boyfriend invited me to go camping. I let him know that I've never been camping in my life. He said he'd buy the tent and bring the air mattresses and blankets, bedding stuff. We're meeting up with his family and they will be in tents nearby.

He is buying this big two room tent for us. I'm so excited to go, but have no idea what to expect, bring, etc.

I hate bugs, I'm not outdoorsy, I hate the dark. I know I'll be with him, so that makes me feel better. I'm a shopping and wine tasting type girl. I don't want to embarrass myself with him or his family. I'm fully open to this experience, but what if it's bad? My mom keeps warning me that I'll hate it. But I've never tried it and I want to experience things with my boyfriend and meet his family for the first time.

He said their are no showers. That makes me nervous. But there is a bathroom with sinks. He said we can bring wipes to clean off and use the sink water.

I don't know what to bring or what to wear. I dress in cute dresses and Sandals most days. But I need to look campy I suppose. It's going to be September in the northern midwst- near Michigan lakes.

Please give me all the advice you have! I desperately need it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 05:03 AM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
Insect repellant is your friend.

I'm sure you'll get tons of additional advice. It'll be interesting to hear back from you after the trip.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:13 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
How long have you known the "new" boyfriend?
Meet family beforehand.
That's just me.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:13 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I'll suggest a trip as a couple before you do the family trip. Somewhere close to home. Can you borrow or rent a tent and supplies?

No point in ruining the family vacation if you will be miserable.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:06 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
For starters, sleep on your living room floor on the air mattress. If you have access to a back yard, try it in the tent next. If it’s too much, you can always go back inside.

I admire your willingess to try. It would be a hard No Way Jose from me.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:01 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Living outdoors is not really any different than living indoors. You still cook, clean, get washed up, walk or hike or whatever you’re doing and go to bed.

Just dress appropriately for the weather, stay dry and enjoy the outdoors!

Old 08-02-2023, 11:07 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
If it your first time camping, probably don't exceed 2 or 3 nights.

Get to site with plenty of time to set up / adjust.

Ask some friends about their camping experiences & advice. If you aren't getting enough info, check for YouTube videos about first time camping.

Pack clothing layers (probably including some wool if you have it) , more than you think you need. Including warm socks, gloves, rain coat and some sort of hat. Definitely some long pants. Maybe some sweats to sleep in. And flashlight with extra batteries. Probably two pairs of comfortable shoes. Maybe a small pillow. Maybe a small towel. A small daypack and fanny pack if you have one. Bring your stuff in plastic bags or a suitcase or a box. Try to keep it simple.

Take some comfort food. Whatever you need to have in the morning (coffee, whatever).Have a water bottle with you and stay hydrated.

Bring a plastic bag or small case for phone and other valuables and locked them in car if you venture away.

A whistle and some pepper spray might be good ideas.

Maybe skip the make-up.

Ask if they have a first aid kit. Bring a few band-aids anyways. Aspirin or whatever medicine you may or must use.

Have things you want to do. Take some time apart if / when you need it. Taking pictures or reviewing phone messages or a book you are trying to finish can explain small breaks.

Take it a few hours at a time.

If something isn't right for you, do want you can to change it. Ask for help if necessary. Ask questions in advance if you really have a concern.

Let someone know exactly where you will be / are and when you are expected back.

Bring some money just in case you want or need something.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-03-2023 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-03-2023, 12:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
This ^^^

Find some friends that LOVE camping and get some good hints.

I'd bring a solar shower (<$25) and a modest swimsuit, maybe a mosquito net, and a few brands of repellent.

Leave the skirts at home. Bring casual shorts, closed toe shoes (not white!) and loose jeans / sweaters, heavy shirts and cap / hat that can get smokey and dirty ($1 at thrift store).

Most importantly, have a REALLY good time, as it will soon pass.

DON'T GET LOST!!! That can really disrupt a family camping trip.

Don't complain or "I wish..." Hint: there WILL BE BUGS and other critters, it's their home turf, you are a visitor.

Improvise. Camping can create great memories and togetherness.

I quite dislike camping, but have been 1000's of nights camping / away in the boonies. (Twice this week). It's the only way to be able to stay in a lot of places I prefer to visit. Some of the places were wonderful...
I've never had the benefit of a large / stand-up tent, but spent hundreds of nights under a tarp. with NO camping gear. No lanterns, stove, food, just me and my motorcycle on a very fun and QUIET backroad. I can enjoy a week or two with NO other people around. If staying remote, I bring very simple food, and a portable campstove. True urban camping folks bring EVERYTHING and several trucks and trailers to haul it.

What will you do in your free time? (18-20 hrs / day)

Old 08-03-2023, 02:46 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Don’t keep food in the tent. It will attract animals.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:07 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
I slept in a tent.....once, now I go "Glamping". It seems that your BF family may be experienced and will be there to help out. I enjoy camping / outdoors, just not on the ground in the woods, mostly in established campgrounds with facilities, and what I refer to as "Destination camping".....camping with a purpose....beach areas mostly. All the above are great suggestions, go with an open mind and enjoy sitting by the fire at night, something about sitting around a fire is relaxing, have a firepit in our yard. Maybe bring one of those "Canister Air Horns" you see at some games, scare critters away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing