Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 11,826 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I want to drive to the west coast (North Carolina) camping and back. We are not into the touristy stuff. We want to enjoy the country, scenery and back country we don't see here. We are planning on driving straight to the Dakotas ( we can visit closer areas at a later time.) We want to see the elks, buffalos and bears walking across the road or in open fields. Lots of wildlife!!! We will drive by Mt Rushmore and take pictures out the window!!! LOL. We want to see the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Redwoods and Seqouias. We want to camp on the North rim of the Grand Canyon and maybe camp overnight in the canyon. Then head to Austin Texas for the last 4 days of our trip. So I am asking for your help on the most beautiful places in these areas that you guys have been to. Hopefully this will help cut down on the crap we don't want to see. We will camp most of the way and like to stay 2 to 3 days in the best most scenic places we have 2 and 1/2 weeks to get to Austin. So give me your best and most scenic. Thanks, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Kitcatrn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 11,826 times
Default More Info

We will be traveling June 11th thru June 26th 2010 not including San Antonio. Any specific places please!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
The Dakota's is one extreme loop up north from NC to Austin...and then to California. It might be doable in terms of driving but you will only have a day or two in each destination and you will get seriously sick of driving.
I'd cut out either the northern leg (Dakota's and Tetons) or the extreme western leg (California). Save it for another time. One or the other, not both. You will enjoy yourself more.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,713 times
I second DD714's opinion -- you are trying to do too much in too little time. Drive by Mt. Rushmore and take a picture out the window?! It sounds more like you are trying to win a scavenger hunt contest than to take a vacation. You need to spend at least a couple of days at each place to really experience it. Driving by the Grand Tetons and camping one night just doesn't cut it. You'll at least want to go hiking or boating to make some memories. Otherwise, all you'll be able to recall when you get older is "Remember back in 2009 when I took this really great picture of this bison at Yellowstone way off in the distance?"

Also, you'll be so tired of all the driving that you'll likely be in no mood to enjoy the trip. On the plus side, 4 days in Austin sounds really cool.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,904 times
This website cracks me up....and actually could be useful for your adventure

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Good for a laugh and educational too..

Safe Journey

Old 06-04-2009, 07:34 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,472,382 times
Have you researched the Grand Canyon part of your trip? You should allow at least 2 days, one down and one up if not more. Also, you will need to make arrangements WELL in advance for the camping IN the Canyon (I am talking about the National Park section). You will not be able to camp without a reserved site and they usually fill up fast. I believe they start taking reservations 11 months in advance. Also, it could be VERY hot at the bottom in June, and still quite cold on the North rim due to elevation.Be prepared for the temperature extremes.

Is there a reason you must do all of this in one trip? You will have a strict itinerary to follow, which doesn't allow for breakdowns, road construction, traffic, etc. A lot of wildlife comes out in the early morning or early evening, you will have to time carefully to catch it. Why not slow down, take just one section of the country and explore more thoroughly, then plan another leg next year. Sometimes you come across the most amazing things by accident and you will want to stop-your plans don't allow for spontaneous fun!

Last edited by firebll31; 06-04-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,120 times
We just returned from a 19 day tour of national parks and scenic areas in SD, WY, UT, AZ and CO. I suggest the following stops if it fits your itinerary:
SD - the Badlands, Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument (it makes Rushmore look small!), the Journey and Geology museums in Rapid City - a very nice town for a stopover, very friendly folks and nice restaurants; Custer State park - beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife.
WY - Jackson/Jackson Hole area - beautiful scenery, the Tetons!!!. Take the Snake River float trip and the white water rafting - awesome!;
UT - Bryce Canyon (and there are several other similar vistas we didn't get to see in the general area;
AZ - Lake Powell in Page is spectacular!
CO - Vail makes a nice stopover and is a pleasant place to hangout.
And of course - the Grand Canyon & Yellowstone.
Best of luck on your trip.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Since you are camping, you might want to check out one of the RV forums online for some off the beaten path parks.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,410 times
Lotsa windshied time covering the area you wish to visit, in the time allowed. Be careful, I did a roadtrip like that 30 years ago, and never went back East...IMO the West is Best..!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
That's about 7,000 miles in 17 days. 411 miles a day @ 65 miles an hour is more than six hours driving daily. That's a tough haul. Hope you have lots of books on tape and really enjoy conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing