Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times

Advertisements

When we are traveling to a destination we have found 330 miles a day our limit. In speaking to fellow RVers some travel 500 miles a day. If you drive 500 miles a day, do you stop and take a nap here and there or just normal rest stops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
The older you get, shorter miles will be the answer. When I was younger I might do 500 a day but no way no how anymore. Even 200 miles a day is all I feel like doing anymore.

First off I hate getting into the RV park too late. For the stupid high fees they charge now I want to feel like I am getting my moneys worth and take advantage of some of their amenities.

If I did 500 miles I would arrive at the RV park, fall into the bed and make love to my pillow for the next 8 hours. Driving a big rig is stressful and towing is even more stressful. So doing high mileage in a car is not as tiring as driving a big rig.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
It would have to be a very important reason for me to do 500 miles in a day, and that would have to be the wife and I switching drivers every few hours to make it that far.....I try not to do more then around 200-250 miles a day max unless I am trying to beat the weather or something to that effect....On travel days I like to get an early start get my miles in and be set up somewhere early so I can enjoy the rest of the day...Remember "RV" also stands for "Relaxing Vacation", so trying to kill yourself behind the wheel all day long just to get somewhere a day sooner kind of defeats the purpose

Last edited by rtandc; 02-12-2010 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Anywhere from 10 to 1200 miles / day depending on the task at hand and what's to see.

Handy to have a couple drivers on the high mileage days. It is tough to make any great distances / or times as we have to stop every 400 miles for fuel, even at 20 MPG in our 'mini class C'.

I do prefer to spend the largest % of day hiking, so it is not uncommon to only go a few miles during the heat of the day, and do the bulk of driving at night (if in an 'uneventful' area). Animals on the road at night are definately a problem, but lucky so far (30 yrs of night driving in western and Mtn states... few moose !!, lots of antelope, deer, cows) I take it quite slow in NH and NB while driving during the night.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I find it hard to enjoy the trip if I have to average much over 250 miles per day. But some days I might drive triple that so I can sit still the next two days. If I had my druthers, I'd probably drive 100 miles per day as a maximum.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 27,554 times
We have a class B rv. We summer in the upper peninsula of michigan. We winter in Florida where my wife's parents in their late 80s live. 2 kids and a tenage granddaughter in Tucson Arizona, 2 Kids and 2 young grandsons in California. We usually travel about 400 miles a day. However, the older I get the longer it takes to make the trip out west. The real question for daily travel is what you want to see and do. We are not campers so much as travelers. However we know that life is the journey not the destination. So unless we are time pressured for some event, we tend to get up late and try to make camp in the early evening.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
When we are traveling to a destination we have found 330 miles a day our limit.
@60mph that allows 5.5 hours.
With on/offs, stops, and some side roads... that is an EIGHT hour day.

This is NOT traveling.
This is "gotta be somewhere before dinner" driving.

Quote:
If you drive 500 miles a day...
You go faster, start earlier and/or stop less often.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
I meander - I don't travel

Mostly follow the 2-2-2 rule.
Travel 200 miles, arrive by 2 pm, and stay at least 2 nights.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
I just did 980 miles in three days with my Class B 19' Roadtrek RV. Had to pick up some equipment in northeast NE, so towed a 2-axle flatbed car trailer for the trip.

That was a much driving as I cared to do in that time frame. Averaged just over 300 miles per day and stealth camped for the two nights at Interstate rest stops in Nebraska, which worked out well for me. I made three other stops enroute, just to catch a lunch break in the early afternoon, stretch my legs and take my dog out for a walk. There were some nice little city parks along my route, so I stopped at these.

My preference would have been to have taken 4 days for the trip and had time to do some other sales calls and travel stops, but I didn't have the time available for this trip.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:08 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
We travel in a 23' Class C with two young children (ages 2 & 4). Since little ones get restless and we already LIVE in one of the greatest RV states, we have a rule of thumb of never traveling more than 4 hours per day. So on mountain roads in and older RV that's hardly more than 200 mi. per day. A lot of time it's under 50 miles in a day which is fantastic. The furthest I've gone at once (not counting when I bought it and drove it our here from CA by myself) is from our home to Santa Fe, NM, about 350 miles, but even then we took a long 2 hour lunch half way and the whole drive took 8 hours one way.

When traveling alone in a car and not on vacation, I've been known to do well over 1000 miles in a 24 hour period. RV travel is much different though, especially with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing