Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob swanson View Post
A lot of this discussion concerns what got me interested in pups/RV's in the first place. Having to travel from Virginia to Atlanta and then to Florida, back to Atlanta to SE Tennessee and western NC and back to Virginia in June. I had to stay in motels and chose the cheapest I could (also cabins) They were very expensive plus the cost of food, etc. How expensive are the campgrounds/RV parks. Are they more expensive then the roach motels?
My feeling is that if I tow a small pup and buy my supplies at Walmart that I can beat the expense of multible motel stays very easily. Enlighten me if I am wrong.
Some of the state parks are quite inexpensive to stay in. I don't like the cheap motels too much because they're often on the street and I don't like the constant hum from the highways. I don't like that closed in boxy feeling from a motel room.

Camping puts you in the woods, or next to the mountain, down by the lake. It's the outdoors you enjoy, the smell of campfires, a different kind of people than you see in motels, or they might be the same people but a different environment.

I don't sleep well in motels, in a pop-up it's a kind of home away from home, my own bed and to me it's very comfortable for sleeping yet still outdoors. With a motel, you never know who slept in that bed before you, you don't know if the maids even changed the sheets or blankets. I've also happened to have motel rooms that were pretty disgusting, not too clean and I won't have kids playing in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:41 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,720 times
We've been a camping family for 30+ years. When we started out, we just slept out under the stars in cots. As our kids got older, they would sleep in our van. We eventually graduated to a dome tent, we thought we were styling back then. Now the kids are grown and have their own families. About 10 years ago we bought a used pop-up that had a/c, a toilet with a hand held shower. We have enjoyed the heck out of it. We've taken it all over Texas, up to the Boundry Waters in Min., out East through the Blue Ridge Mtns, into the Carolinas & Georgia. The thing I love about it, is you can set it up most any where. We can pull it under a big oak tree, or close to a river or lake.

We live about 10 miles from one of the prettiest St. Parks in Texas, so every once in a while we'll just go down the road and set up camp for a few nights .

A few weeks ago, my hubby completely suprised me with a newer & bigger pup, for out 30th anniversary. Can't wait to go "on the road again"!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I take it that's your new one in the photo. Looks pretty fancy! It seems you got good use from your old one. I hope this one lasts as long for you.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
The rack on the extended frame infront was a good idea the be able to pack more stuff or fire wood.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
The rack on the extended frame infront was a good idea the be able to pack more stuff or fire wood.

Yep, that's what we're going to use it for. Although hubby mentioned it would be nice to haul a Harley on it. Ha ha............riiiight!!! That won't be happening any time soon!!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Yep, that's what we're going to use it for. Although hubby mentioned it would be nice to haul a Harley on it. Ha ha............riiiight!!! That won't be happening any time soon!!
Especially with your "average H-D's" wieght at or about 700 to 850 lbs's (not includeing decked out full dressers), I would take a good look to see what the camper's max tongue wieght allowance is . You don't want to over-load it and cause damage, plus kill your warrenty if you have any. Plus the extra wieght up front like that may give you some headaches with all your wieght being right up front and not useing a stablizer system between the camper and the towing vehicle.
I would think that one over

Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Especially with your "average H-D's" wieght at or about 700 to 850 lbs's (not includeing decked out full dressers), I would take a good look to see what the camper's max tongue wieght allowance is . You don't want to over-load it and cause damage, plus kill your warrenty if you have any. Plus the extra wieght up front like that may give you some headaches with all your wieght being right up front and not useing a stablizer system between the camper and the towing vehicle.
I would think that one over
I'll be using that one, thanks a mil.!!!

LoL....................

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I'll be using that one, thanks a mil.!!!

LoL....................
Your more than welcome, my dear.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:19 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Does anyone know of a pop-up that has only one bed? For a couple it seems to be a waste of space. I'm at a crossroad concerning getting a pop-up (of which seems more available) or a smaller RV. Since I drive an Outback it would be convenient right now to have something I can tow with it. Thanks.
Me too. I want something I can keep under 2400 lbs. and tongue wt of 200#s. Plus I want to be able to poo and shower in it and have enough room to sit out rainstorms happily and keep some pets in it. What I'm now considering is that extra beds can be converted to storage or I could put in a desk. There is no reason not to tailor it to my purposes and needs.

The trick is getting it light including fluids and the stuff we need to carry along. The aluminum chassis seems to be key but only a few make those. Apparently the RV industry is looking at ways of making these much lighter so smaller more efficient vehicles can be used. I just went to an RV show to see what is available in the tiny options. I don't like the popup tents. Leaks are apparently a notorious problem with them plus in colder or hot weather, the fuel requirements are higher due to lack of insulation.

The A liners look intriguing but only the largest has a shower and it is too heavy. They are fairly heavy for what they are.

Ones that look like they might be candidates:
Trailmanor Trail mini is a hard side that moves up for dwelling and even has a porch! The other versions are too heavy.

Cozy traveler has some rather nice mini trailer versions
Campfire
Microlite Vymeron has a couple versions with a sit down shower option
Sunset Park (Sunset-rv.com) has a couple intriguing lightweights
Camp Lite from livinlite is light but really bare bones - beds are very uncomfortable. The ones I saw did not have their bath option in them.

Hi-Lo looked quite nice but run too heavy.

There are other small trailers - many are made in Canada which seems to be more incentivied (or was longer ago) to increase the economy and fuel efficiency of these things. Check out this guy's list and reviews: Guide To Ultra-Lightweight Travel Trailers
It's a couple years old now.

It also appears to me that once I get serious about actually buying, I will have to consider a significant distance to acquire the trailer I want. I guess most dealers only sell the humongous or standard popups that are just too heavy for a regular car. You really have to pay attention the terms they use. What they call a micro-light or ultra-light is more often than not 3000 - 5000 pounds! Without anything in it!

Old 09-19-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know of a pop-up that has only one bed? For a couple it seems to be a waste of space. I'm at a crossroad concerning getting a pop-up (of which seems more available) or a smaller RV. Since I drive an Outback it would be convenient right now to have something I can tow with it. Thanks.
Try looking into the A-Liner campers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing