Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times

Advertisements

Canada is more culturally similar to America with a few odd Britishisms. In terms of accents , dialects ,words , how city looks , how buildings look and so on.

I think most of the culture shock will be is Canada it is base on a parliamentary system than a republican system in the US.

Some dialects and slang words like runners ,touque ,hydro ,faucet , cutlery / utensils , cottage , serviette , Loonie , Toonie , patro , sofa

Canadian Slang and Dialect – Amy Mahon

The accents like the diphthong OU like in house or about. In the US the diphthong is very different , to explain it to people in Canada the diphthong OU sounds like AR so when Americans say about it sounds like abart to people in Canada.

Other thing is the word dollar in the US the first syllables are stressed where in Canada it is the last syllables and the er at the end where people US do not put er at the end.

Well other word is sorry !! When people in Canada say it well it sounds like sorryeee where in the US there is no ee at the end , and it is not drawn out ee at the end that people in Canada like to do.

The Canadian raising the phenomena where it sounds like they are asking a question all the time.

The buildings looks very different in Canada than the US it has more a British feel.

The Canadian constitution and bill of rights is very different .

Even education and healthcare is different.

Note this all I can think of I'm sure others can comment on this thread and say more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:37 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
Canada's Bill of Rights is very different because it's a federal statute passed by the parliament which applies only to federal government actions and laws. If you're looking for something akin to the U.S. Bill of Rights (first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution) you need to look at the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, part of the Constitution Act, 1982.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
I'm missing the point of this. Are you asking a question, or just making another list, of which there are dozens already?

See, I'm getting more American every day!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
I don't know about Americans moving to Canada, but it was a HELL of a culture shock when I moved to the USA, and it had nothing to do with diphthongs.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times
Canada and USA looks very similar, almost same stores, same suburban and urban lifestyle and look, and very similar road signs and road system.

Main difference is the currency, measurement system and bilingualism in Canada.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
i think Americans from the Southern or Sunbelt states including myself would experience some level of "cultural difference'- not culture shock per se...i did when I dated a Canadian a few years ago and spent a few months there:

- weather
- it overall feels less "intense" (eg- go thru a busy airport in Canada vs a US one on a busy day and you'll get what i mean)
- things are more expensive & less bang for the buck in many respects
- food is a little different (more ethnic and less bbq/ fried food/ Mexican/ 'amusement-park' food)
- people are a little different (generally more goody-goody and open minded, less concerned about playing the race or economic card)
- people dont look down on you for taking public transit!

everything else are superficial differences and are nothing compared to the differences between the US and other countries around the world

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 PM

328 posts, read 997,086 times
For the most part it really isn't a shock at all it is just the little differences. One thing I saw that surprised me is the health clinics in shopping centers. You really don't see that in the U.S. Other things include, banks open late, certain businesses closed earlier, and the fact you can't get biscuits at KFC. I could list more but that's what I can think of for now.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
They have banks open late in the U.S., and health clinics in shopping centers.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
What do you guys mean by "banks open late"?

TD is open till 8pm most nights at certain locations. Are you talking 11ish here?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
i think Americans from the Southern or Sunbelt states including myself would experience some level of "cultural difference'- not culture shock per se...i did when I dated a Canadian a few years ago and spent a few months there:

- weather
- it overall feels less "intense" (eg- go thru a busy airport in Canada vs a US one on a busy day and you'll get what i mean)
- things are more expensive & less bang for the buck in many respects
- food is a little different (more ethnic and less bbq/ fried food/ Mexican/ 'amusement-park' food)
- people are a little different (generally more goody-goody and open minded, less concerned about playing the race or economic card)
- people dont look down on you for taking public transit!

everything else are superficial differences and are nothing compared to the differences between the US and other countries around the world
What do you mean by people are a little different generally more goody-goody ?

Do Canadians feel safe in the US ?

Also do you find the accents , dialects and words strange
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada