Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

I do think Canada has done a better job than the U.S with respect to Middle Class Family incomes in the last few decades.. There was a time when the Median family income in the U.S was substantially higher than in Canada.. Canada has been gaining on the U.S for some time in this realm and now they are about even. To me, I think this is more noble than providing an exceptional standard of living for 10 percent of the population.. For that group - sure the U.S has far more opportunities but for Middle class average working class families they are about even and for the more disenfranchised Canada is certainly the better option.

The majority of Middle income individuals don't move from Canada to the U.S and vice versa because there really isn't a compelling reason to.. Poor people in the U.S just don't have the means to move here otherwise we'd be getting a lot more Americans I suppose - but would we want them, probably not. Otherwise, it makes more sense that an economy 10 times the size of our own is going to pull a certain percentage.. but even with that, the amount is still small in the grand scheme of things.. Most Canadians stay in Canada across the board and only a minority leave for whatever reasons they feel they must.

Having said all that, I do somewhat resent the notion that Canada doesn't represent opportunity for go getter or high achievers.. Perhaps the go getters and high achievers who stay in Canada are happy to be closer to family/friends and also to see their country succeed - I'd consider myself in that category. I'm proud to be a Canadian and I want to see my country succeed so I stay here, work hard, pay good taxes and help my company to reach new heights and for me I feel great about that as opposed to leaving my country to support another for personal reasons... Hey i'm a noble and patriotic guy

So yeah - I love Canada and am a Proud Canadian and would put that ahead of making a few more bucks for an American Multinational or other foreign Corporation...

Last edited by fusion2; 09-23-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 12:53 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I do think Canada has done a better job than the U.S with respect to Middle Class Family incomes in the last few decades.. There was a time when the Median family income in the U.S was substantially higher than in Canada.. Canada has been gaining on the U.S for some time in this realm and now they are about even. To me, I think this is more noble than providing an exceptional standard of living for 10 percent of the population.. For that group - sure the U.S has far more opportunities but for Middle class average working class families they are about even and for the more disenfranchised Canada is certainly the better option.

The majority of Middle income individuals don't move from Canada to the U.S and vice versa because there really isn't a compelling reason to.. Poor people in the U.S just don't have the means to move here otherwise we'd be getting a lot more Americans I suppose - but would we want them, probably not. Otherwise, it makes more sense that an economy 10 times the size of our own is going to pull a certain percentage.. Having said that, I do somewhat resent the notion that Canada doesn't represent opportunity for go getter or high achievers.. Perhaps the go getters and high achievers who stay in Canada are happy to be closer to family/friends and also to see their country succeed - I'd consider myself in that category. I'm proud to be a Canadian and I want to see my country succeed so I stay here, work hard, pay good taxes and help my company to reach new heights and for me I feel great about that as opposed to leaving my country to support another for personal reasons... Hey i'm a noble and patriotic guy
Once again, it is painfully obvious you haven't lived in both countries.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Once again, it is painfully obvious you haven't lived in both countries.
Why would I want to live in another country when I love and am happy living in my own for the reasons I cited.. What exactly did I say that is incorrect..?? It is a fact that the Canadian M.C median family income has closed the gap on the American M.C median family income. Get over it! I'm not going to be happier or even necessarily wealthier moving to the U.S so just because you say so doesn't make it so lol.. Hey, you're an American and you're proud of your country and want it to succeed - trust me I can relate.. I'm not here telling you that you need to move to Canada to have a better life so quit while you're ahead trying to convince me that the grass is greener somewhere else and for most true blooded Canadians that is the case as well - we're happy where we are and for most Canadians - the vast majority we truly want our country to succeed and will support it. I'd actually die for my country thanks bye.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-23-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 01:40 PM

31 posts, read 36,645 times
When I lived in Ontario I was making about 1.75x the income I was in NC. But the cost of living is outrageous, and jobs are harder to come by for the average person. Even with double the income I wouldve had to make sacrifices. I found it logical to relocate my family to Buffalo and visit them on weekends and after two years I used my experience to move to greener pastures. It made absolutely no sense financially to live in Canada. I am not rich by any means, I am a very middle class guy. If I had to relocate to Canada I would've had to accept cutting costs across the board and my wife would probably have to find a job (she was pregnant) just to support a below-average lifestyle. And this is Ontario, the economic heart of Canada, and I am not taking into account weather. I could have moved to Honolulu or San Fransisco and have had to make similar sacrifices. How people convince themselves that you are better off for a variety of excuses is beyond me. It seemed like much of the same, except everything is very expensive and with practically no options for weather. So having been on both sides I would choose the US every day of the week. There is no way a guy in Hamilton, ON affords the same lifestyle as a guy making the same money in Minneapolis, MN. People who say that are either lying or don't know any better.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
I do think Canada has done a better job than the U.S with respect to Middle Class Family incomes in the last few decades.. There was a time when the Median family income in the U.S was substantially higher than in Canada.. Canada has been gaining on the U.S for some time in this realm and now they are about even.
Same for Western Europe. It doesn't make sense anymore to move to the US for financial gains like admittedly it used to be 15+ years ago, it is just a stereotype that is very persistent. Yet many people move there because they still believe the grass is greener. The US is in a strong decay and other countries have surpassed it.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Same for Western Europe. It doesn't make sense anymore to move to the US for financial gains like admittedly it used to be 15+ years ago, it is just a stereotype that is very persistent. Yet many people move there because they still believe the grass is greener. The US is in a strong decay and other countries have surpassed it.
The U.S. has some serious problems but on an individual level I personally don't know any Canadians who have gone down there to live and who as a result have ended up financially worse off.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
When I lived in Ontario I was making about 1.75x the income I was in NC. But the cost of living is outrageous, and jobs are harder to come by for the average person. Even with double the income I wouldve had to make sacrifices. I found it logical to relocate my family to Buffalo and visit them on weekends and after two years I used my experience to move to greener pastures. It made absolutely no sense financially to live in Canada. I am not rich by any means, I am a very middle class guy. If I had to relocate to Canada I would've had to accept cutting costs across the board and my wife would probably have to find a job (she was pregnant) just to support a below-average lifestyle. And this is Ontario, the economic heart of Canada, and I am not taking into account weather. I could have moved to Honolulu or San Fransisco and have had to make similar sacrifices. How people convince themselves that you are better off for a variety of excuses is beyond me. It seemed like much of the same, except everything is very expensive and with practically no options for weather. So having been on both sides I would choose the US every day of the week. There is no way a guy in Hamilton, ON affords the same lifestyle as a guy making the same money in Minneapolis, MN. People who say that are either lying or don't know any better.
If you want a nice big house in Toronto I'd agree.. Having said that for me - I rent a 1 Bedroom Apt in DT Toronto - YES DT TORONTO

I make 5000 a month after taxes which is a little less than 90K per year Canadian

1000 per month for my apartment
350 per month car payment
140 per month car insurance
250 per month on food
250 per month for gas
50 per month high speed internet - ditched cable and spend 60 bucks per year on a VPN

That's a bit over 2000 bucks a month in expenses including food, rent, car, gas, insurance and internet- the rest is disposable income for travel and savings.. That is a real life story - no lies.. I wonder where people shop in Toronto for clothes, food since they find it oppressively expense uhem ever heard of No Frills and Dollarama for most day to day items and small Canadian retailers for clothes instead of American overpriced labels - my gawd etc.... they need help on where to shop to save money and live yet complain about Canada being sooooo expensive.... Heck in DT Toronto I literally can get free food.. yes free food - mostly pantry items but still lol.. Some people need help..

Btw I thought housing prices in Hamilton were still pretty reasonable......????

Last edited by fusion2; 09-23-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 02:13 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
Quote:

Having said all that, I do somewhat resent the notion that Canada doesn't represent opportunity for go getter or high achievers..
Depends what field you are in. If you are interested in certain segments of finance, then there aren't many opportunities in private equity, venture capital, hedge funds, etc. in Canada. There are some jobs for sure but it is very difficult for the vast majority to get into these careers because there aren't many jobs available on the street. If there were, I'm sure many would stay to pursue them. But demand well exceeds supply in these sectors for business students. It's the same with Europe in some sense, the majority of these jobs are monopolized by London so people migrate from all over Europe and the world to London because they want to get experience working in certain industries.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Depends what field you are in. If you are interested in certain segments of finance, then there aren't many opportunities in private equity, venture capital, hedge funds, etc. in Canada. There are some jobs for sure but it is very difficult for the vast majority to get into these careers because there aren't many jobs available on the street. Demand well exceeds supply in these sectors for business students. It's the same with Europe in some sense, the majority of these jobs are monopolized by London so people migrate from all over Europe and the world to London because they want to get experience working in certain segments.
So now that you have some experience and credentials I hope to see you back supporting the Maple Leaf... I really would like to see that.. Start your own CAD company and compete with the best and lets build this place up!

Old 09-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I think for the majority of individuals this is very much the case.. You also have to factor that for the majority - Western European countries and Canada/Australia typically rate better for overall QOL... The differences aren't that great admittedly and for most citizens in the U.S its still a high income/high QOL society but yeah, its far from being the only game in town.. For those who really want to make a splash in the business world than i'd say the U.S offers more but lets face it - these are a very small percentage of any population.. By the way people talk in here its like everyone in CD is going to become a CEO lol.. umm yeah right - called reality check!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.