Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM

909 posts, read 1,154,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Don't a lot of Canadians not have a great view of Toronto outside of the GTA as well?
I don't live in Toronto and I have nothing against Toronto. I may not choose to live there myself, but I don't think it's a bad city.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Everyone hates the U.S. but loves using American products, media, and websites like this site based in Illinois.... .
This is where you're totally wrong. I have a number of friends from the U.S both personal and at work. In my department alone I work with two. In person as real human beings we get along absolutely fine. Some people take these forums WAY too seriously lol.. Its more about drama queens in here than any real anti Canadian or anti American sentiment from most people on either side of the border who actually have real engagement with people ie friends, coworkers, family etc.

This is a global world.. We all use products/services consume entertainment from all countries around the world. You've probably flown on Canadian Planes, filled your car with Oil from Canada and consumed many goods from Canada so I don't think we need to get into any silly guilt trips about consuming other countries goods or services etc. We all live on planet earth.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
To be fair, Toronto sucks.

Peace and love. Peace and love.
haha to each his/her own. The world is big enough for those who like Houston (Not my cup of tea) and those who like the Six (more my cup of tea) so I'll choose the latter - even with its winters :P

Peace and love - muah

Quote:
Don't a lot of Canadians not have a great view of Toronto outside of the GTA as well?
There is a kernel of truth to this. I don't think its a hate but I do think there is some resentment and I don't think its all rational either. Most of the time its not. I'm sure if Calgary or Halifax ballooned to the largest city in the country there would also be resentment from other parts of the country as well..

There was even a documentary made about it lol (its an oldie circa 2007 btw)

https://vimeo.com/145916492

You also get this stuff.. Nothing egregious but still - its... there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AE30JrGKc

Do we care? I don't know I mean should we lol.. Its mostly silliness and probably largely ignorance. Most people in Toronto are like everyone else - living their life - working, enjoying life etc to worry too much about what someone in Kelowna or Saint John thinks of us. To be fair, there is a lot of ignorance among Torontonians about other parts of the country though I don't think most Torontonians would have anything negative to say about other parts of the country. They may say I don't know much about Brandon but wouldn't have any resentment either. Its also not uncommon for a lot of Torontonians to either not be born in the country (over 50 percent now) and the remaining a large chunk who have actually come from other parts of the country so its kind of funny to think about this resentment because people would be resenting their relatives or their friends or an immigrant/refugee. Very few people in Toronto were actually born here.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-30-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 06:13 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,824,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I doubt it. Hobbesdj mentioned many times he was African-American. Manitopiaa has hinted that he is Mexican-American, or at least Hispanic if I recall.
Mother is from Panama, Father is from Spain. So I'm American of Panamanian-Spanish descent. My sister is American of Mexican-Panamanian descent though. Brother is of Norwegian-Panamanian descent.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is where you're totally wrong. I have a number of friends from the U.S both personal and at work. In my department alone I work with two. In person as real human beings we get along absolutely fine. Some people take these forums WAY too seriously lol.. Its more about drama queens in here than any real anti Canadian or anti American sentiment from most people on either side of the border who actually have real engagement with people ie friends, coworkers, family etc.

This is a global world.. We all use products/services consume entertainment from all countries around the world. You've probably flown on Canadian Planes, filled your car with Oil from Canada and consumed many goods from Canada so I don't think we need to get into any silly guilt trips about consuming other countries goods or services etc. We all live on planet earth.
That comment was more to the hypocrisy of one claiming most people hate the U.S. instead of singling out people here personally and then many said people go on to use/love American products such as Facebook and iPhones . Personally I think anyone who hates someone just because of where they are from is a moron, obviously no country is perfect and every place has its valid criticisms but it gets tiring to see the same old comments from some on various about how awful people from a certain place are and how awful that place is. It is a global world, no need for people to be so spiteful like it's still 1918.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:32 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I don't live in Toronto and I have nothing against Toronto. I may not choose to live there myself, but I don't think it's a bad city.
I think it's a great city to visit as well, not sure I'd want to or would ever pay to live there but I'm glad to be only a 5 hour drive from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There is a kernel of truth to this. I don't think its a hate but I do think there is some resentment and I don't think its all rational either. Most of the time its not. I'm sure if Calgary or Halifax ballooned to the largest city in the country there would also be resentment from other parts of the country as well..

There was even a documentary made about it lol (its an oldie circa 2007 btw)

[vimeo]145916492[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/145916492

You also get this stuff.. Nothing egregious but still - its... there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AE30JrGKc

Do we care? I don't know I mean should we lol.. Its mostly silliness and probably largely ignorance. Most people in Toronto are like everyone else - living their life - working, enjoying life etc to worry too much about what someone in Kelowna or Saint John thinks of us. To be fair, there is a lot of ignorance among Torontonians about other parts of the country though I don't think most Torontonians would have anything negative to say about other parts of the country. They may say I don't know much about Brandon but wouldn't have any resentment either. Its also not uncommon for a lot of Torontonians to either not be born in the country (over 50 percent now) and the remaining a large chunk who have actually come from other parts of the country so its kind of funny to think about this resentment because people would be resenting their relatives or their friends or an immigrant/refugee. Very few people in Toronto were actually born here.
It is what I have heard from many Canadians outside of the GTA , it could be similar to how some Americans feel about New York or DC getting so much attention, but one city in the US doesn't have as much of the country's population as Toronto does in Canada. Those videos were hilarious though . Being close to Ontario that is where nearly all of the Canadians I know are from and it does seem like a lot of them are much more likely to have been to places all of across the US and other parts of the world than different parts of Canada with the exception of Quebec.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
That comment was more to the hypocrisy of one claiming most people hate the U.S. instead of singling out people here personally and then many said people go on to use/love American products such as Facebook and iPhones . Personally I think anyone who hates someone just because of where they are from is a moron, obviously no country is perfect and every place has its valid criticisms but it gets tiring to see the same old comments from some on various about how awful people from a certain place are and how awful that place is. It is a global world, no need for people to be so spiteful like it's still 1918.
Underlined agree 110%

Even those who say well I like Americans but hate the U.S without getting into any details about what it is they 'hate' about it. Like be specific at a very minimum. Honestly, I can't say I like all of what is American F.P or the political system but at the same time I don't know what its like engaging in F.P as a Superpower, so its easy for me to cast judgment as just a joe blow guy.

In any event, often times of the Americans I do know (who are typically blue state Americans admittedly), most are actually MORE critical of the U.S than pretty much any Canadian I know. They also tend to put Canada/Canadians on a pedestal so perhaps when they learn that we have our issues and we aren't as 'nice' or perfect as what they think we are it comes as a surprise. I think some Americans would be surprised at how critical we can be of ourselves they wouldn't be so quick to assume that we think we are perfect.

Quote:
I think it's a great city to visit as well, not sure I'd want to or would ever pay to live there but I'm glad to be only a 5 hour drive from it.

It is what I have heard from many Canadians outside of the GTA , it could be similar to how some Americans feel about New York or DC getting so much attention, but one city in the US doesn't have as much of the country's population as Toronto does in Canada. Those videos were hilarious though . Being close to Ontario that is where nearly all of the Canadians I know are from and it does seem like a lot of them are much more likely to have been to places all of across the US and other parts of the world than different parts of Canada with the exception of Quebec.
Underlined ..Interesting.. I'm not surprised but whatever its just plain dumb but Haters gonna hate lol.. Which is why I said - should we really care. If people from outside a place care enough to actually learn and be open to shattering their ignorant stereotypes than I care enough to care what they think and feel but if they are going to be irrational and generalize, I simple don't and shouldn't give a damn! That being said, I think you're right about the big city thing - it plays a big part of that sentiment. I guess its human nature.

Glad you liked the video's

Last edited by fusion2; 08-30-2016 at 07:02 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 06:56 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Of course, everything above excludes Quebec. I think the Quebecois have certainly matured. That's probably because Quebec has a much longer history and has a solid grasp of its own identity and contribution to the world.
And of course you made note that the vid you quoted in your response was done in Montreal. You are a true scholar, a man of papers.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
And of course you made note that the vid you quoted in your response was done in Montreal. You are a true scholar, a man of papers.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who observed that

Old 08-30-2016, 07:06 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
A man of papers (rolling papers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.