Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Maritime City and Region to visit
Saint John/Bay of Fundy, NB 5 21.74%
Charlottetown, PEI 4 17.39%
Halifax, NS 9 39.13%
Sidney/Cape Breton, NS 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does it make sense to rent a car if going to Halifax or St. John? I'm coming from NYC and trying to decide among renting a car and driving up (for Halifax), flying and renting a car (for either), or flying in and not renting a car at all.
It's a 4.5 hour drive from Saint John to Halifax (roughly). Two hours to Moncton (be sure to stop at the Irving Big Stop diner for lunch), then another 2 and a half hours to get from there to Halifax. With that being said, it's an incredibly beautiful, scenic drive. You go past hilly farms and winding rivers going up to Moncton, through some marsh land as you cross into Nova Scotia, and through some lovely, picturesque 19th century villages going down to Halifax. I strongly recommend you fly up to Saint John then rent the car and do it. Do the drive to Halifax.... You'll feel your blood pressure plummet as you enjoy the ocean breeze. Turn off the air conditioning, and roll down the windows. Ahhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Rather than Charlottetown, I'd say Summerside for PEI... and it's too bad, but Moncton, Fredericton, and Caraquet are all worth a mention too.
Other than the water park, zoo and mall (stuff not unique at all to the Maritimes), what does Moncton really have as a draw?

Caraquet is very small and way out of the way. It would be a separate trip to itself.

I agree Fredericton would be a good afternoon stop en route to or from. Provincial capitol, some attractions, beautiful downtown and riverfront with parks and bike/walking paths.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Summerside is pretty boring compared to Charlottetown. Though you can do both they are so close and fairly small.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does it make sense to rent a car if going to Halifax or St. John? I'm coming from NYC and trying to decide among renting a car and driving up (for Halifax), flying and renting a car (for either), or flying in and not renting a car at all.
Unless you are just spending 3-4 days in a single city you definitely need a car for a trip to anywhere in the Maritimes.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Other than the water park, zoo and mall (stuff not unique at all to the Maritimes), what does Moncton really have as a draw?

Caraquet is very small and way out of the way. It would be a separate trip to itself.

I agree Fredericton would be a good afternoon stop en route to or from. Provincial capitol, some attractions, beautiful downtown and riverfront with parks and bike/walking paths.

I agree with this. Moncton is mostly a family destination as opposed to a place for more adult pursuits. It does have a great beach nearby at Shediac.

Saint John as mentioned and Fredericton are the best urban destinations in NB.

Caraquet and region is culturally interesting but out of the way as noted.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:08 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I have been to all the places you mentioned and I think Cape Breton is by far the most interesting and scenically beautiful. It is definitely worth the trip there. The locals are friendly, culture is unique and scenery is excellent... I really love Atlantic Canada and I would go back again in a heartbeat

Old 06-24-2017, 08:22 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Thinking of road tripping ... three nights which would give me one full day to explore a city and one full day to explore nearby coastline.
3 nights/4 days? Are you travelling by car? The distances alone will take time/energy. Saint John to Cape Breton, for example, 300kms, then perimeter of Cape Breton 250 kms, then back to Saint John 300kms = 850 kms. And you have to get to Saint John first.

Quote:
Saint John / Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick - seems like a nice old port city with some historic charm. Would be the most accessible place, but I may want to travel beyond it. Is Saint John fairly vibrant or is it relatively quiet?
All places in the Maritimes are quaint. Mostly it is a lot of driving amidst forests, (long drives) between quaint towns. The Bay of Fundy would be good for a 3-day trip, with its "natural wonder" of huge tides Bay of Fundy - Discover Canada's Natural Wonder For some reason, I remember St. Andrews (a nearby town) with incredibly beautiful yachts, rather than St. John.

Quote:
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - Though Charlottetown itself seems small, it looks very cute and seems like a nice base to explore the island.
200 kms one way from St John. The bridge that connects the mainland to the island is huge. All of Maritime towns have Maritime charm, Charlottetown as well. The soil is red, the beaches have reddish sand. Lots of potato farms.

Quote:
Halifax, Nova Scotia - Halifax is the big hub city of the Maritimes, no problems finding things to do in town. Outside of the famous lighthouse (Peggy's Cove) how is the nearby area in terms of exploring the coastline for a day or so?
I'm just back from Halifax, it has tourist waterfront with restaurants (oysters, lobsters, chowders). But it is small. There is one roundabout on Northwest arm that I passed probably 7 times (going in and out of downtown). It is not that big, 300,000 population. To me it looks quaint, as well. But it depends on where a tourist is coming from. To explore beaches, you would have to drive out of Halifax a bit. I would take highway 103 to Upper Tantallon (25 kms from Halifax), and from that point on scenic route 3. There is a beach in Queensland, with waves, then there is a town called Chester, - a posh one with yachts, and further down Mahone Bay with 3 churches and funky market on weekends, and still further Lunenburg - UNESCO town.

Quote:
Sidney / Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia - Of the pictures I've seen, Cape Breton appears to have the most impressive scenery to take in. Are there interesting towns to explore? Sidney on google streetview appeared rather ordinary, not a lot of character to take in, though I could be wrong.
The beauty of Cape Breton is in the breathtaking views (mountains-ocean) when you drive around the perimeter (Cabot trail), especially in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. (All park entrances are free this year btw, if you have a tent). But 850-1000kms in 3 days....

Old 06-24-2017, 08:41 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Halifax 4 days ago. Botanical Garden on Spring Garden Road downtown. The hanging pirate is in the Museum of the Atlantic - they used to hang pirates like this in olden times, to scare other pirates. Halifax waterfront. View from the plane on Annapolis river in NS - the red soil also (it is closer to PEI).
Attached Thumbnails
Best Maritime City and Region to visit-a004-copy.jpg   Best Maritime City and Region to visit-a005-copy.jpg   Best Maritime City and Region to visit-a010.jpg   Best Maritime City and Region to visit-a008-copy.jpg   Best Maritime City and Region to visit-a020-copy.jpg  

Last edited by nuala; 06-24-2017 at 08:55 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 11:33 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
The Maritimes are intriguing. I'm curious about whether major Maritime cities like Halifax will start receiving more new immigrants to Canada in the future.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:32 AM

401 posts, read 426,946 times
PEI if you like warm red sand beautiful beaches, fantastic seafood, great live music, friendly locals, NOT CROWDED, with fantastic views. We typically stay in the North Rustico and or Cavendish areas, close to everything including the national park and beaches. We visit Charlottetown once or twice during our 2 week stay. Not a very big place but has many restaurants and bars.

PEI is a beautiful place we have been visiting since 1985 and spent a month on the island in 2015 and will be back in 2017 for 2 weeks. We have been to 49 of the 50 states and 8 of the 13 Provinces but still find time to get back to PEI we love it. It takes us 2 days to get to PEI from Pa.

PEI is not a big place you can get to most of the island in about 2 hours.

Things we enjoy doing in Charlottetown ...

St. Dunstan's Basilica

Beautiful old church, make sure you go inside.
Tradition meets technology: Basilica bells ring again with the help of special software - Prince Edward Island - CBC News

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Edward_Island

Victoria Park

Nice walk along the water with a great view of the city.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...rd_Island.html

Farmers Market

Whether you're looking for fresh produce, baked goodies, or works of art, the Charlottetown Farmers' Market is a wonderful place to visit. Every Saturday 9am - 2pm. Open seasonally on Wednesday’s. 100 Belvedere Avenue, Charlottetown PEI

Victoria Row

Nice shops and restaurants adjacent to the government center and performance arts facility.

BEACONSFIELD HISTORIC HOUSE

Beaconsfield Historic House is a very fine example of Victorian architecture with many original features intact. Next to Victoria Park and the governors mansion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada