Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Maritime City and Region to visit
Saint John/Bay of Fundy, NB 5 21.74%
Charlottetown, PEI 4 17.39%
Halifax, NS 9 39.13%
Sidney/Cape Breton, NS 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 07:23 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,306,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Saint John / Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick - seems like a nice old port city with some historic charm. Would be the most accessible place, but I may want to travel beyond it. Is Saint John fairly vibrant or is it relatively quiet?

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - Though Charlottetown itself seems small, it looks very cute and seems like a nice base to explore the island.

Halifax, Nova Scotia - Halifax is the big hub city of the Maritimes, no problems finding things to do in town. Outside of the famous lighthouse (Peggy's Cove) how is the nearby area in terms of exploring the coastline for a day or so?

Sidney / Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia - Of the pictures I've seen, Cape Breton appears to have the most impressive scenery to take in. Are there interesting towns to explore? Sidney on google streetview appeared rather ordinary, not a lot of character to take in, though I could be wrong.
Of those four, I have been to ...

Saint John / Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick - The city of Saint John itself? Meh. It's an old port town and more than a little grungey in places, but the country around it is gorgeous, and the Bay of Fundy is a must-see. The ferry ride over to Digby is actually a lot of fun.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - I loved PEI. Gorgeous countryside and beaches. Very nice people. Quiet. That said, I was more than a little disappointed in Charlottetown itself. Granted we were there in the early spring (winter barely over), so the city probably wasn't at its best, but honestly I found it more than a little grungey and rundown in places. Not a terrible place by any means, but of the cities listed, it was my least favorite.

Halifax, Nova Scotia - I am not a big city person, but I have spent a fair amount of time in Halifax, and it is a very nice city. The Citadel and Point Pleasant Park were both great daytime walks. But if you're in the area, be sure to head west and see some of my favorite places in Canada --- Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Yarmouth, or a bit farther north up into the Apple Valley.

Sidney / Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia - I have yet to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 11:56 PM

16 posts, read 9,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post

PEI is a beautiful place we have been visiting since 1985. We have been to all 50 states and 8 of the 13 Provinces, Italy, Ireland, and Scotland, but still find time to get back to PEI we love it. Why….friendly locals, amazing seafood ie lobster, muscles, oysters, cod, not crowded even in the summer. Endless red sand beaches and cliffs, amazing folk music, green potato fields, bike and walking trails the entire length of the island, warm water via the Gulf Steam to swim in the ocean. Anne of Green Gables if you have kids. Best time to visit is June to September. You can get onto the island via a 8 mile long bridge or a 2 hour ferry from Nova Scotia. The largest city is Charlottetown about 50 k population with an island population of 150k. But get out and explore the countryside it’s amazing.

Check out the details I posted Fodors.

https://www.fodors.com/community/can...d-pei-1664364/

If you need more information let us know.

Tom
Sounds like some interesting places to visit, but I had no idea they had any water really warm enough to swim in up there? It is hard to imagine an American thinking anything cooler than 75 degrees would really be comfortable. Do you use a wetsuit?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:54 AM

401 posts, read 428,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susquehanna Babe View Post
Sounds like some interesting places to visit, but I had no idea they had any water really warm enough to swim in up there? It is hard to imagine an American thinking anything cooler than 75 degrees would really be comfortable. Do you use a wetsuit?
Typically in August/September water temperature is 68F. Wetsuit nope, growing up on the New Jersey shore this is a nice temperature to swim or walk along the water edge. Go south from PEI to Maine the water temperature is in the 50-58F range the same timeframe.

Tom

Old 05-18-2023, 08:42 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Yeah water temperatures can be 70-75F at Brackley or Cavendish on PEI, or at Parlee Beach in Shediac in SE New Brunswick.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:21 AM

10,756 posts, read 23,852,544 times
I'd imagine the Northumberland Strait being a shallow body of water to warm up to those temps? The kind of shoreline that exposes lots of sand at low tide and that you can wade out in the water for a good ways.

I grew up swimming on the New England coast in June (high 50's/low 60's) at Old Orchard, York, Hampton Beach and Cape Ann so cold water doesn't scare me, but you really need young blood to get in that water and play in the waves.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:44 PM

35 posts, read 46,842 times
I vividly remember swimming for hours in Cavendish when i was a kid. It was probably about 70 F. Certainly not warmer. I think the Gulf stream warms up that part of the island.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:20 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post

PEI is a beautiful place we have been visiting since 1985. We have been to all 50 states and 8 of the 13 Provinces, Italy, Ireland, and Scotland, but still find time to get back to PEI we love it. Why….friendly locals, amazing seafood ie lobster, muscles, oysters, cod, not crowded even in the summer. Endless red sand beaches and cliffs, amazing folk music, green potato fields, bike and walking trails the entire length of the island, warm water via the Gulf Steam to swim in the ocean. Anne of Green Gables if you have kids. Best time to visit is June to September. You can get onto the island via a 8 mile long bridge or a 2 hour ferry from Nova Scotia. The largest city is Charlottetown about 50 k population with an island population of 150k. But get out and explore the countryside it’s amazing.

Check out the details I posted Fodors.

https://www.fodors.com/community/can...d-pei-1664364/

If you need more information let us know.

Tom
Canada doesn't have 13 Provinces.

It has 10 Provinces and 3 Territories.

I agree re the charms of PEI.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:47 AM

1,229 posts, read 507,212 times
Nova Scotia hands down. It simply has the most to offer. Halifax is by far the best city in the Maritimes, it is bigger and has more to see and do than the others. Cape Breton Island has the best scenery and cultural atractions. Nova Scotia for the win.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:25 PM

35 posts, read 46,842 times
Briefly, came back from a beautiful 7-8 days on PEI. Eating was very good, as was the ambience, with the two very best restaurants being the Blue Mussel in North Rustico and the Point Prim Chowder House. The Oyster House in Malpeque was also vg., as was a place in Cardigan....both of them get really crowded, so you need to call ahead. The Oyster place is tiny.

The beaches were spectacular. It's really hard to choose between them. We avoided Cavendish, but enjoyed the somewhat forgotten beach just past Malpeque, as well as the stretch of beaches from Brackley all the way to Delray. Having said that, the Greenwich Dunes and Singing Sands beaches were our favorites.

If i lived closer I'd go back more often. Beautiful, unspoiled beaches and water, good people, good food(surprisingly sophisticated, in a rustic way), and easy to get around.

Not my thing, but my wife was pretty taken with the whole Anne of Green Gables thing. The actual place in Cavendish is hilariously built up from what it was over 50 years ago when i was there last...the tiny homestead is now fronted by an expensive, large exhibit center that had to have cost many millions.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:26 AM

401 posts, read 428,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
Briefly, came back from a beautiful 7-8 days on PEI. Eating was very good, as was the ambience, with the two very best restaurants being the Blue Mussel in North Rustico and the Point Prim Chowder House. The Oyster House in Malpeque was also vg., as was a place in Cardigan....both of them get really crowded, so you need to call ahead. The Oyster place is tiny.

The beaches were spectacular. It's really hard to choose between them. We avoided Cavendish, but enjoyed the somewhat forgotten beach just past Malpeque, as well as the stretch of beaches from Brackley all the way to Delray. Having said that, the Greenwich Dunes and Singing Sands beaches were our favorites.

If i lived closer I'd go back more often. Beautiful, unspoiled beaches and water, good people, good food(surprisingly sophisticated, in a rustic way), and easy to get around.

Not my thing, but my wife was pretty taken with the whole Anne of Green Gables thing. The actual place in Cavendish is hilariously built up from what it was over 50 years ago when i was there last...the tiny homestead is now fronted by an expensive, large exhibit center that had to have cost many millions.

Agree 100% on your experience and restaurants you visited as we experience the same the many times we have visited PEI. We stay in Cavendish adjacent to the National park with a view of the water. Outstanding experience and the convenience of all the restaurants to visit.

Did you go to a lobster supper or attend a Ceilidh? Did you have a lobster roll if so where?

Greenwich National Park is our favorite place to visit a beautiful place.

Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada