Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 10:45 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,150,169 times

Advertisements

As an American - on one hand it makes me want to cry because I want to get the hell out of here!!

On the other hand, I laugh hysterically that neither Trump nor his fans seem to see the irony between Canada's closed border and Trump's never-ending talk of building his stupid wall between us and Mexico - and forever closing that border.

Please - can someone come smuggle me and my husband and 2 kids out of here?! We LOVE Canada, are hard working people - hubby is in Oil and gas, has a chemical engineering degree and Masters in Business, and I have a background in healthcare (was a nurse for a long time). We need out of here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 11:32 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,971,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
As an American - on one hand it makes me want to cry because I want to get the hell out of here!!

On the other hand, I laugh hysterically that neither Trump nor his fans seem to see the irony between Canada's closed border and Trump's never-ending talk of building his stupid wall between us and Mexico - and forever closing that border.

Please - can someone come smuggle me and my husband and 2 kids out of here?! We LOVE Canada, are hard working people - hubby is in Oil and gas, has a chemical engineering degree and Masters in Business, and I have a background in healthcare (was a nurse for a long time). We need out of here!!
Canada built the wall and no one noticed.

Calgary has jobs for people in those fields. Calgary and Texas are sisters, even though Texas pretends to be all cowboy. Oil industry is transitioning to contract rather than pensioned positions. Canada likes recent credentials, so health care employees could have to certify locally. Chem eng estimators are in demand.

Mexico bad, Canada good.
Lockdown Mexican border, heckle Canada to open the border.
Win the election.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:13 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,893,572 times
Canada is losing a ton of money over this closure - tourist dollars are a measurable percentage of their GDP. They've made the virus their priority, and the economy - not. That's neither a plus or minus - it's just the fact.

Canada has 10% of the population of the US - if you scale up for that, they're not that far behind us (in COVID terms). When you adjust for population density - it's pretty much a wash, as it is nearly any place in any country, or will be, before it's over. (FYI, the Greater NYC area has 2/3 the number of people as ALL OF CANADA. Yep.)

Having said all that, I agree with the closure. And I've spent every summer there for the past 15 years. I am missing my vacation. I am missing my lake and my fish. But I am not missing a chance to bring COVID into the sleepy little village with my friends in it, presently safe. I am able to prioritize. The difference, though, is this:

All I'm missing is vacation, and I'm saving thousands of dollars. Those folks WANT my thousands of dollars - it's all they have. Tiny diners. Tiny lodges. Tiny general stores - far up north. This year - they are without money. MY money. Not ALL of them prefer it that way. Just like here.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:10 AM

3,975 posts, read 5,791,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think Trump and his people are mad because Canada just renewed the border closure for another month, with speculation that the border will remain closed until at least November. Trump's people generally believe that Trump closed the border to Canada, and it is slowly dawning on them that Trump can't do anything about Canada's closed border

I sincerely doubt Trump or his staunchest supporters care about the border being closed or not. Many on that list of 29 Congressmen are Democrats for starters. Most represent states that border Canada that have a lot of Americans who own property or have ties to Canada whereas Trump primarily draws supporters from states that border Mexico and others down South. I betcha a lot of Trump supporters don't even own passports, they're the type of Americans that can't afford international travel or don't care for international travel, and especially not to a country like Canada that conservative American media outlets paint as "liberal". Besides, cross border trade is continuing and both sides continue to profit from the trade so why would Trump be upset at that? He's not losing anything. It's the ordinary folks like you and me who have lost opportunities to visit great places and meet great people because of the US's response to the pandemic.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,461,251 times
I would love to see...…….CBSA shut the route to Alaska, and tell the supposed " going to Alaska folks " to find another way to get there. NO one , except Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents " have a right to enter Canada ". Lets enforce that rule.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I would love to see...…….CBSA shut the route to Alaska, and tell the supposed " going to Alaska folks " to find another way to get there. NO one , except Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents " have a right to enter Canada ". Lets enforce that rule.

I already started a thread to discuss this loophole, which many Canadians do not know about and even as an American I agree it is stupid:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cana...loopholes.html

Old 07-18-2020, 09:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,525,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Canada is losing a ton of money over this closure - tourist dollars are a measurable percentage of their GDP. They've made the virus their priority, and the economy - not. That's neither a plus or minus - it's just the fact.

Canada has 10% of the population of the US - if you scale up for that, they're not that far behind us (in COVID terms). When you adjust for population density - it's pretty much a wash, as it is nearly any place in any country, or will be, before it's over. (FYI, the Greater NYC area has 2/3 the number of people as ALL OF CANADA. Yep.)

Having said all that, I agree with the closure. And I've spent every summer there for the past 15 years. I am missing my vacation. I am missing my lake and my fish. But I am not missing a chance to bring COVID into the sleepy little village with my friends in it, presently safe. I am able to prioritize. The difference, though, is this:

All I'm missing is vacation, and I'm saving thousands of dollars. Those folks WANT my thousands of dollars - it's all they have. Tiny diners. Tiny lodges. Tiny general stores - far up north. This year - they are without money. MY money. Not ALL of them prefer it that way. Just like here.
Canada is doing MUCH better across the board with it's handling of this pandemic. Scaling for population more than adequately shows that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...u-donald-trump

Nine times greater population but sixty times greater a problem.

But, and this is the big one, not everything is about YOUR money.

The southern areas of the U.S. that we've wintered in since our retirement in '04', most specifically Florida for the last eleven winters, are going to hurt like the dickens now and not everyone down there is going to be happy when their hospitality job is no longer available AND they're not just free to move to another state where they can get another.

After researching and talking with friends, it's looking like we will be spending this winter in Portugal, as one of the adjuncts to Canada performing better, is Canadians are still free to travel out of country.

We probably will not be saving any money but somewhere other than those folks in Florida will be seeing those dollars this winter and perhaps for our remaining winters to come. Four of our friends have already listed their homes down there for sale. We will hedge our bets and wait until after our overseas excursion this winter to decide.

This is ALL self imposed by the foolish behavior of just ONE man supported by the irrational belief of his sycophants that "responsibility" be assigned a far lower priority than simple individual self interest..

Take some responsibility - fix your problem(s) - and Canada will be more than happy to welcome you back. Until then, I'm reasonably content knowing a portion of my tax dollars are helping to CERB support those "tiny" diners up north.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Take some responsibility - fix your problem(s) - and Canada will be more than happy to welcome you back. Until then, I'm reasonably content knowing a portion of my tax dollars are helping to CERB support those "tiny" diners up north.

Calm down! I know you and other fellow Canadians are equally as pissed about the US pandemic response and the border closure and your words just said it. What more are we supposed to do though? We have a democratically elected federal system with a modicum of state sovereignty. One state like New York cannot tell another state what to do. The only person who can unite the whole country is the president and he is not doing it but what do you want us to do, stage a coup, put a gun to Trump's head, and forcibly remove him from power? Or incite a civil war in the hopes that the globalists and the medical science believers will prevail? What else do you want us to do? The next election is only months away and even that no one can control?

Just be grateful you have an international border to protect you. We up here in New England do not, we are constitutionally prohibited from outright prohibiting out of staters from coming in, and it's only a matter of time the virus comes back in a second wave. Massachusetts was hit very hard in the early stages of the pandemic as was New York, during a time when there was little guidance from the federal government on how to deal with the virus and we worked very hard in flattening our curve by ourselves. Unlike Canada, we don't have a national mandatory sick time policy and many of our neediest residents are doing all the dirty work, packaging our meats, cleaning our facilities, and running or grocery stores with nary a day off.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:40 AM

542 posts, read 504,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Canada is doing MUCH better across the board with it's handling of this pandemic. Scaling for population more than adequately shows that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...u-donald-trump

Nine times greater population but sixty times greater a problem.

But, and this is the big one, not everything is about YOUR money.

The southern areas of the U.S. that we've wintered in since our retirement in '04', most specifically Florida for the last eleven winters, are going to hurt like the dickens now and not everyone down there is going to be happy when their hospitality job is no longer available AND they're not just free to move to another state where they can get another.

After researching and talking with friends, it's looking like we will be spending this winter in Portugal, as one of the adjuncts to Canada performing better, is Canadians are still free to travel out of country.

We probably will not be saving any money but somewhere other than those folks in Florida will be seeing those dollars this winter and perhaps for our remaining winters to come. Four of our friends have already listed their homes down there for sale. We will hedge our bets and wait until after our overseas excursion this winter to decide.

This is ALL self imposed by the foolish behavior of just ONE man supported by the irrational belief of his sycophants that "responsibility" be assigned a far lower priority than simple individual self interest..

BruSan, do you think you're taking that post a little bit personally?

I see one post after another here seeking approval and attention from the Americans.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:45 AM

542 posts, read 504,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Good afternoon canadiancitizen,

That loophole may need to be addressed, but the reality is that Americans are still trading with us. Without that the Canadian economy would truly collapse.

There appears to be a plethora of Anglo Canadian posters who are on a power trip and looking to stick it to those idiot Americans who think they are so much better than us. We'll show them!

We can handle this like adults.

PBeau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada