Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 02:19 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,965,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
In Canada we see the pandemic as a world wide medical emergency. In the USA , the pandemic is a " business disruption."

It's both. But here's why the USA tends to care more about BOTH than just one:

"The US has the world’s single largest economy, accounting for almost a quarter of global GDP (at market exchange rates), one-fifth of global FDI, and more than a third of stock market capitalisation. It is the most important export destination for one-fifth of countries around the world. The US dollar is the most widely used currency in global trade and financial transactions, and changes in US monetary policy and investor sentiment play a major role in driving global financing conditions (World Bank 2016)"

We are forced to juggle the health AND the business - and both are life and death, one way or another. No other nation has this "problem" - the USA GDP almost the same size as the other top 8 combined (excluding China). Canada's GDP is about the same as New York's.

It's a complex puzzle - lots of pieces and parts - but it is an unhelpful simplification to just pretend the USA should ignore the "business interruption" and focus on health. Our business, in part, is the health of other nations. It will remain a juggling act until this clears up. Neither emphasis will be supported by US media, as a poor economy took the headline when virus control was good. You simply cannot have both. And - unlike Canada, or nearly any nation- the USA must have both.
I think we should assume that all countries need to keep the economy as strong as possible during this pandemic. That is not a uniquely USA thing. The difference is that all other countries include the goal of not overwhelming health systems, as health management is one piece of the economy.

Through NAFTA, Mexico, Canada and the USA have intertwined economies. Since the pandemic, Canada is looking to disrupt reliance on USA goods. For example, when Trump decided that medical equipment would not be shared with Canada, Canada established locally sourced and manufactured equipment. That change will remain in place after the pandemic.

Something else that is getting traction in Canada is circular design. The USA economy thrives because it relies on designed failure and disposable products. Rather than be angry about covid-19 restrictions, the USA should look at pandemic as an opportunity for innovation and change through new economic models.

When the USA gets its act together, the rest of the world will open their borders to the USA. Until then, people in the USA will be restricted from travelling to nearly every country in the world.

https://www.commonobjective.co/artic...rcular-fashion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 03:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have been surprised that so many people on this forum believe that Trump closed the Canada/US border. Canada is polite and has described the closure as a joint decision, but Canadians know that Canadian borders were closed to all non-Canadians in March. Trump had nothing to do with it.

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion in the US about whether Trump governs Canada.
"Canadians and Americans alike on Twitter were concerned with Fox News host Laura Ingraham’s seeming assertion that any policy in Toronto was under the jurisdiction of Biden or the U.S. in the first place."

“Will Joe Biden do more to protect religious liberty than Donald Trump? Not a prayer,” Ingraham wrote, alongside a story from far-right website Big League Politics that said Toronto had “banned” Catholic communion."
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...EDcebKy5pj6Ms5

The mentality that Canada and the US are the same, that Trump and the USA are better than everyone, and that Trump calls the shots in Canada, seems quite prevalent. Although congress did reveal that Canada, rather than the US, closed the border, it's quite likely that they fully expected that they could dictate to Canada and no one would be the wiser. They may even think that a Canadian Liberal government is the same as a USA Democrat government, so 29 Democrat politicians telling a Liberal government that there would be trouble if Canada doesn't do what the USA wants may have seemed like a fait accompli.
My careful use of the word "some" in my original post was for that reason specifically. SOME of them, like Ms Ingraham have an agenda dictated to them and must perform like one of Pavlov's dogs to pander to either the network owner or her political masters, she might be excused for simply doing her master's bidding.

The motive for it all has to come back to the upcoming election somehow and as it gets closer to "D" day, we can look forward to them ramping up this nonsense. What better way for Trump to deflect from his abject failure as a leader than stoking a phony fire with Canada.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My careful use of the word "some" in my original post was for that reason specifically. SOME of them, like Ms Ingraham have an agenda dictated to them and must perform like one of Pavlov's dogs to pander to either the network owner or her political masters, she might be excused for simply doing her master's bidding.

The motive for it all has to come back to the upcoming election somehow and as it gets closer to "D" day, we can look forward to them ramping up this nonsense. What better way for Trump to deflect from his abject failure as a leader than stoking a phony fire with Canada.
That's what I'm expecting. This renewed anger from Trump is a bit of a concern. Trump threatens with tariffs (e.g.: July, 2020) and economic punishments to manipulate other countries. What's he going to do next? He already denied Canada the much needed medical supplies in March. Will he cut food next? Under the circumstances, no matter what Trump does, Canada will find another way and that new way will form the new normal. It won't be a temporary solution, so ultimately Trump's decisions hurt the USA more than Canada. Still, it's an inconvenience.

As for Ingraham, what she relied on was an audience that is so stupid they either don't know that Toronto is in Canada, or they believe that the USA dictates to Canada. Either way, it does leave many questioning the average intelligence of the average person in the USA.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm expecting. This renewed anger from Trump is a bit of a concern. Trump threatens with tariffs (e.g.: July, 2020) and economic punishments to manipulate other countries. What's he going to do next? He already denied Canada the much needed medical supplies in March. Will he cut food next? Under the circumstances, no matter what Trump does, Canada will find another way and that new way will form the new normal. It won't be a temporary solution, so ultimately Trump's decisions hurt the USA more than Canada. Still, it's an inconvenience.

As for Ingraham, what she relied on was an audience that is so stupid they either don't know that Toronto is in Canada, or they believe that the USA dictates to Canada. Either way, it does leave many questioning the average intelligence of the average person in the USA.
Careful there; the "trope" bus might come down your block any minute.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:10 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:

Trump is a big bully but as a coworker once told me, if you hit a bully back hard, they will back away. Sooner or later, I'm afraid the entire world is going to hit the U.S. back hard, even harder than mere border closures, and it won't be pretty. You are right that the U.S. alone will hurt the most but unfortunately many Americans don't understand that their own doings hurt them but will blame the world instead. I sincerely hope we can avoid all this with this next election and then mend our relationships with all of our erstwhile friends but as I alluded to before, there isn't much an ordinary citizen like myself can do, my vote is only one vote and there are many ignorant and spiteful Americans who want Trump re-elected. Read some of the Politics and Other Controversies forum in CDF and you'll see how ignorant, bigoted, and spiteful some of them are. At times I feel it's a shame that they share the same nation as me really.

And yes, as a former public school substitute teacher, I can assure you there are a lot of ignoramuses here in the States. Kids grow up not knowing history, geography, writing, or even how to add or subtract without a calculator. These are the ones who will find out the hard way that you need a passport to enter another nation, seriously.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,457,755 times
Last night here in Toronto I watched an episode on the program Gold Rush, It is about gold mine owners who have open pit mines in the Canadian Yukon territory. Of the four men featured on the program, three are Americans, and one is a long time Canadian citizen ( who was born in Holland ).

The differences in attitude between the Americans and the Canadian were black and white. The Americans were bitterly complaining about no being allowed to come up to Canada to start mining gold . The Canadian guy ( who lives in the Yukon ) was content to isolate his entire family on their rural property and comply with the quarantine orders. He said quite clearly that " the gold in the ground isn't going anywhere ". The Americans were screaming about being " denied our right to operate our business ":.

There in lies one of the basic differences. The Canadians are willing to comply and respect the advice of the medical experts, the Americans ( on the program ) were looking for ways to sneak in to Canada, by any means possible. Including hiring a charted jet to fly into Dawson City with out any CBSA inspections or any approval from the Canadian Government.

The episode last night ended with one guy from Wisconsin setting off in his work truck, heading to the Canadian border with a 400 gallon fuel tank in the back. And no clear plan about the two week required quarantine. Amazingly uninformed, but adamant that their " rights " will prevail.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Trump is a big bully but as a coworker once told me, if you hit a bully back hard, they will back away. Sooner or later, I'm afraid the entire world is going to hit the U.S. back hard, even harder than mere border closures, and it won't be pretty. You are right that the U.S. alone will hurt the most but unfortunately many Americans don't understand that their own doings hurt them but will blame the world instead. I sincerely hope we can avoid all this with this next election and then mend our relationships with all of our erstwhile friends but as I alluded to before, there isn't much an ordinary citizen like myself can do, my vote is only one vote and there are many ignorant and spiteful Americans who want Trump re-elected. Read some of the Politics and Other Controversies forum in CDF and you'll see how ignorant, bigoted, and spiteful some of them are. At times I feel it's a shame that they share the same nation as me really.

And yes, as a former public school substitute teacher, I can assure you there are a lot of ignoramuses here in the States. Kids grow up not knowing history, geography, writing, or even how to add or subtract without a calculator. These are the ones who will find out the hard way that you need a passport to enter another nation, seriously.
A change in government in November will give renewed hope to NATFA and NATO partners, as well as Commonwealth Nations, that the USA will return to balanced, reasoned, professional, honest governance. However, Canadian headlines today are that Trump may not accept defeat even if he loses the election.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/n...81483573694299

If he loses the election and refuses to step down, that leaves the rest of the world with no one to talk to until it's sorted out. World leaders can't recognize Trump as the president if he loses the election, but there won't be a replacement. That won't bode well.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Last night here in Toronto I watched an episode on the program Gold Rush, It is about gold mine owners who have open pit mines in the Canadian Yukon territory. Of the four men featured on the program, three are Americans, and one is a long time Canadian citizen ( who was born in Holland ).

The differences in attitude between the Americans and the Canadian were black and white. The Americans were bitterly complaining about no being allowed to come up to Canada to start mining gold . The Canadian guy ( who lives in the Yukon ) was content to isolate his entire family on their rural property and comply with the quarantine orders. He said quite clearly that " the gold in the ground isn't going anywhere ". The Americans were screaming about being " denied our right to operate our business ":.

There in lies one of the basic differences. The Canadians are willing to comply and respect the advice of the medical experts, the Americans ( on the program ) were looking for ways to sneak in to Canada, by any means possible. Including hiring a charted jet to fly into Dawson City with out any CBSA inspections or any approval from the Canadian Government.

The episode last night ended with one guy from Wisconsin setting off in his work truck, heading to the Canadian border with a 400 gallon fuel tank in the back. And no clear plan about the two week required quarantine. Amazingly uninformed, but adamant that their " rights " will prevail.
Many years ago I read about people protesting at the funerals of gay soldiers in the USA simply because the soldier was gay. I was shocked that this was allowed. After researching it, I came to understand that it was allowed because free speech is defined differently in the USA than in Canada. Things might have changed since then (roughly 15 years ago) but in the USA people can say whatever they want, in Canada people can say whatever they want as long as they respect the autonomy of others.

That small phrase: respecting the autonomy of others, is the critical point. Protesting at funerals is not okay in Canada because it infringes on the rights of a grieving family. This phrase seems to be the difference between USA and Canadian attitudes regarding the virus. Canadians should take into consideration that they can do what they want as long as it doesn't interfere with others. When they are contagious, they need to stay home. In the USA, individual rights seem more important. Therefore, regardless of being contagious, many people assume that their rights to do as they please are more important than the responsibility to respect the rights of others.

We see this with the border closure as well. Canada must ensure that decisions respect the rights of all Canadians. Individual rights, regardless of nationality, should never be more important than the rights of many.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

...... The episode last night ended with one guy from Wisconsin setting off in his work truck, heading to the Canadian border with a 400 gallon fuel tank in the back. And no clear plan about the two week required quarantine. Amazingly uninformed, but adamant that their " rights " will prevail.
I don't know how much of those reality type shows are true and how much is just made up stuff with actors (personally I think most of those shows are made up and scripted strictly for entertainment purposes). But if those guys are the real deal, even if they own property in Yukon that ownership doesn't mean they have any rights to access it regardless of present circumstances, COVID or not. I can't imagine the CBSA letting any of them enter Canada for any reason since Yukon is still tightly closed and up until just recently it was even closed to any Canadians who are not permanent Yukon residents.

The Wisconsin guy with the 400 gallon fuel tank in the back of his truck, I don't think the customs guys would allow that across the border into Canada whether the border was closed to travellers or not. Aside from the fact they'd want to search it for contraband, I think that might be illegal in Canada to transport a full fuel tank like that without valid training certificates and shipping documents, as per Canada's TDG Regulations. Just guessing about that though.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know how much of those reality type shows are true and how much is just made up stuff with actors (personally I think most of those shows are made up and scripted strictly for entertainment purposes). But if those guys are the real deal, even if they own property in Yukon that ownership doesn't mean they have any rights to access it regardless of present circumstances, COVID or not. I can't imagine the CBSA letting any of them enter Canada for any reason since Yukon is still tightly closed and up until just recently it was even closed to any Canadians who are not permanent Yukon residents.

The Wisconsin guy with the 400 gallon fuel tank in the back of his truck, I don't think the customs guys would allow that across the border into Canada whether the border was closed to travellers or not. Aside from the fact they'd want to search it for contraband, I think that might be illegal in Canada to transport a full fuel tank like that without valid training certificates and shipping documents, as per Canada's TDG Regulations. Just guessing about that though.

I would assume he'd be stopped after the first question - "reason for travel into Canada?" Oooopsy - non-essential - take that u-turn lane over there, have a nice day. A few other queries might come his way eg: what's the GVW rating of his truck and is another 2800lbs (400gals diesel) still within its limit with everything else he's got on board?

Give them any lip and guess what else might happen? Name goes into a database of prohibited Americans and he has to appeal that decision at his expense. It's always been the same deal going the other way.

The smart thing to do would be to develope a plan ahead of time as to his intention to carry enough on board fuel to drive straight through, sleeping in truck, how he's going to be provisioned while isolating at his destination, phone ahead, get advice with name of agent spoken to and hope for a go-ahead.

If they allow him, after finding out he's just going to be operating his mine while there which is non-essential to CANADA, maybe they'll relent and let him through but, all the while he's up there running around with a U.S. plate on his truck, he's going to be fair game for every official he gets reported to for not being there for the "allowed" reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada