Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 02:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Google has the pronunciation right: https://translate.google.com/

If you select English for the left field and type one word - Regina - Google pronounces it the British way. If instead you type two words - Regina Saskatchewan - Google pronounces Regina the way people in Regina pronounce it.
To be fair, Google is giving only one English ( British ) way of pronouncing it, as my earlier link showed.

The Cambridge dictionary has this link, which is also just giving one way to pronounce it. However it's the same for the Uk and the US.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pro...english/regina

The plot thickens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 02:41 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Those limeys can't pronounce aluminum either.
I'd say they're probably pronounce it right, given that it's a British who first named it as "aluminium".

Even though I myself when speaking in English will say it the (North) American way.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:43 PM

What about the name of the province?

It's common to hear "sas-katch-uh-wawn", but people in the province in my experience generally say "sas-katch-win".

Old 03-21-2023, 02:52 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say they're probably pronounce it right, given that it's a British who first named it as "aluminium".

Even though I myself when speaking in English will say it the (North) American way.
How is it pronounced in French?

Old 03-21-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
How is it pronounced in French?
Very similar to the British way.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:22 PM

Another UK clip, of them pronouncing it, the same we do for Regina, Saskatchewan.

It seems the British seem to pronounce it both ways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_3vxZiiNGk

Old 03-21-2023, 06:34 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Another UK clip, of them pronouncing it, the same we do for Regina, Saskatchewan.

It seems the British seem to pronounce it both ways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_3vxZiiNGk
Yes, my Oxford dictionary also has the pronunciation with the high i vowel as in this clip. Why the Brits pronounced it this way, I do not know. As Porterjack alluded to, Louise, the Duchess of Argyll was the one who named the city after her mother, Queen Victoria so that might have had some bearing on the name's pronunciation. Perhaps Regina with the high i was originally a Royal pronunciation intended to put emphasis on the second syllable is my guess.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
I believe it is suppose to rhyme with the name for the female reproductive organ.

Here is a native of Saskatchewan saying it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_H7eLL4FgU

Old 03-22-2023, 09:48 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Those limeys can't pronounce aluminum either.
i say what, thats fighting talk pardner

Old 03-22-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yes, my Oxford dictionary also has the pronunciation with the high i vowel as in this clip. Why the Brits pronounced it this way, I do not know. As Porterjack alluded to, Louise, the Duchess of Argyll was the one who named the city after her mother, Queen Victoria so that might have had some bearing on the name's pronunciation. Perhaps Regina with the high i was originally a Royal pronunciation intended to put emphasis on the second syllable is my guess.
It would be interesting to know which accents in the UK pronounce it with the high I vowel, or if it's just a class distinction?

I have encountered some people who thought the English Canadian way of pronouncing Saskatchewan's capital, was because Canadians didn't know any better, and were mispronouncing the word, when clearly, our pronunciation has it's roots back to the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada