Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 11:50 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I still have my .57 calibre 1861 Enfield percussion cap rifle, which has not been fired in at least a hundred years, and is only good as a decoration over the fireplace.
Well, I guess I could also take it off its mounts, and use it to clock an intruder. But it's 15 lbs., and I have a much lighter baseball bat that can accomplish the same thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 02:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
It's estimated that 33% of all Canadian households have at least one firearm or more. That estimate is for households, not people, so I think it also means that more than 33% of the Canadian population possess firearms. I was given my first rifle for my 9th birthday and I owned several rifles for more than 50 years. I sold off the very last 3 of them when I was in my early 60's since I no longer had a need for them and didn't want them any more. Lived in cities, small towns and out in the deep woods on homestead farms, and have lived in locations on the coast and in other points between British Columbia's southern border all the way up to Yukon and even Alaska. Always had guns in the house and I never knew many other people who didn't or don't own guns. They just don't talk about it much.

I have lived where there are grizzlies, black bears, wolves, cougars, wolverines, coyotes, elk, moose, deer, bighorn mountain sheep and all manner of other native animals that are smaller than the above listed. In all my years of living in towns or in rural places I have never needed to hunt animals for food and never needed to shoot at any of those types of wild native animals if they came on my property. They generally run like hell off the property if you make a lot of loud clanging metal noises at them or if your guard dogs bark at them. They don't like to be around people and human habitations if they can avoid it - unless they become habituated by foolish, ignorant humans who think they live in Disney's fantasy land and feed the wild animals to bait them in to keep them coming back. Those people either don't recognize or don't care that they are the cause of an unnaturally early death for the animals that they bait with food.

But I have several times had to kill or drive off packs of feral dogs that were attacking and killing my livestock. Feral dogs in the wilderness and poorly trained domestic farm dogs that are allowed to run loose off their own property have been the worst for killing other things indiscriminately just for the joy of harassing, terrorizing and killing, not for eating their kills, and then returning again and again to do it some more if they can get away with it. So sometimes it was necessary to sit up through the night waiting for them and get the drop on the rest of them after they made the first strike.

And I have also used my guns to kill livestock when it was time for them to be slaughtered, butchered and go to freezer camp. But I don't keep livestock any more now and get what I want from local farmers. I live in the middle of an agricultural town and we do have lots of wild animals passing through every night, bears, skunks, raccoons, deer, coyotes but they aren't bothering anyone. Sometime cougars become a bother and need to have the conservation officers relocate them to places far away in the wilderness.

The only wild animals I've had trouble with when living in the country were bobcats and cougars - they are the boldest and sneakiest of all and those that become habituated to human communities or that are badly injured and are starving have been known to attack children, small adults, pets, livestock for a meal. But I've never needed to kill any cougars on my properties, I just made a lot of noise and chased them off.

I've never had serious problems with strangers (humans) trespassing or being threatening enough that I felt I needed to brandish a gun at them. I just call the cops on them. And humans are usually susceptible to reason or trickery to get them to go away.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
None for me.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:19 AM

72 posts, read 59,338 times
Concealed carry is still illegal in Canada.mist guns here are hunting rifles. I have never even seen a gunm

Old 03-29-2023, 11:13 AM

462 posts, read 286,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigodqew View Post
Concealed carry is still illegal in Canada.mist guns here are hunting rifles. I have never even seen a gunm
The only people I have seen carrying guns are police/security.
I think the reason that there are less guns in Canada is that we are less paranoid about our fellow citizens....Maybe Americans have good reason for that, I don't know.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
No guns. No need for them. I 'm not a hunter, nor need one for sport.

Grew up in a house with a hunting rifle. Dad hunted maybe twice. Wasn't for him. I asked years later about us kids finding his rifle and looking at it when my parents were out. I inquired about the safety of doing that. His answer made total sense. He knew kids are curious and would probably have found the rifle, but we would never find the bullets. They weren't kept anywhere near our place. Didn't ask where.

My partner's grew up in a very remote part up north. Family had rifles, for sport and hunting.

Only people I've known to have access to a handgun, are friends that are/were cops, but like most police in Canada, they aren't allowed to take the gun home.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:58 PM

1,140 posts, read 619,685 times
Thanks for everyone chiming in so far.

Interesting... a mixture of answers.

Zoisite... 33% of households? That's higher than I would've guessed.

Nobody in my close group of friends (approx 12) own a firearm or have a license to or have an interest in buying one.

The only people I've come across with a firearm are hunters. So mainly rifles or shotguns.

The contrast between Canada and certain States is a complete 180. My favourite example is that gun advocate who purposely walked into a Walmart opening carrying an assault rifle the day after a major public shooting incident to reinforce his rights to open carry etc. Obviously that became an incident and cops were called.

I guess I'm just saying that the gun culture is generally much more "restrictive" and "taboo" in Canada. I remember the big hoo haa about people walking down the GTA streets with an air rifle... a couple incidents where cops were called right away and the idiot was taken down. I only refer to them as idiots because it's obvious that cops would be called if you did that in a major city in Canada.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:17 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Thanks for everyone chiming in so far.

Interesting... a mixture of answers.

Zoisite... 33% of households? That's higher than I would've guessed.

Nobody in my close group of friends (approx 12) own a firearm or have a license to or have an interest in buying one.

The only people I've come across with a firearm are hunters. So mainly rifles or shotguns.

The contrast between Canada and certain States is a complete 180. My favourite example is that gun advocate who purposely walked into a Walmart opening carrying an assault rifle the day after a major public shooting incident to reinforce his rights to open carry etc. Obviously that became an incident and cops were called.

I guess I'm just saying that the gun culture is generally much more "restrictive" and "taboo" in Canada. I remember the big hoo haa about people walking down the GTA streets with an air rifle... a couple incidents where cops were called right away and the idiot was taken down. I only refer to them as idiots because it's obvious that cops would be called if you did that in a major city in Canada.
I would find it very abnormal in Canada for a city slicker to have guns. I would think they were criminals. There would be the odd exception such as a hunter but for some reason I think hunters don't usually live in cities and if they are the offspring of city dwellers, I don't know how they could be exposed to guns in an organic rural way. But even among rural people hunters are few and far between. At least they are here. Some neighbours of mine have taken up target shooting in the last few years but its a relatively new thing.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:48 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's estimated that 33% of all Canadian households have at least one firearm or more. That estimate is for households, not people, so I think it also means that more than 33% of the Canadian population possess firearms.

*snip*
Nope. Apparently not. I found this article from a year ago: https://justiceforgunowners.ca/how-m...lds-have-guns/

Quote:
How many Canadian households have guns? Based on reputable surveys, between 23% and 33% of Canadian households have at least one member who owns firearms and does so in a responsible manner.
However, the article goes on to say:
Quote:
Angus Reid found that 6% of women reported owning a firearm (.06 x 822 = 49) which is 24% of gun owners (49/208). Since women under report by an estimated 16%, their female estimate is boosted by this percentage (the number of female owners is boosted to 54), giving a new total of 215 gun owners. After making this correction we estimate that 14% of Canadians, or 4.19 million, are firearms owners.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
That ^^ sounds like a more reasonable explanation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada