Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 11:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 876,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernOpposum View Post
Take a look at your own map. Our fires are under control. Yours are out of control. And while I do live in Florida, right now I am in the Northeast ... Pennsylvania to be exact.
There fires still burning in New Jersey. You are being a bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 05:23 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,855,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernOpposum View Post
Well, I don't know where you have been hiding? I was actually in Gatlinburg just last summer but stayed in Pigeon Forge. I am not really blaming Canadians for their fires. What has always been beyond tiresome though is listening to their incessant pseudo moral superiority nonsense. They seem to be obsessed with trying to find comparisons and claiming upper hands. Personally, I realize that there are plusses and negatives to every point of view. Instead of complaining about us, some introspection might be in order. Nobody is better than the other. Their obsession is trying to not be us in spite of the fact they literally can not help mostly being like us, but guess what? We don't want to be them either, and that should be just fine with them. We just don't go around carping about it.

The cultural differences that formed 250 years ago with their northern exodus remain in place. There is a reason for that. We are different countries. The expectation that this is just fine needs to be working both ways.
Your narrative from the get go was to make a scapegoat of Canada and now you're saying they're complaining about Americans. They're just calling out your bull crapola and so far in this thread both Americans and Canadians alike can see through your troll posting. You haven't been able to refute any of the abundant info you've been provided and you're tossing out useless armchair complaints on Canada right up to your last post. It hasn't occurred to you that this thread has not worked out so well for you.

Instead of offering any helpful info all we got was complaining on your end throughout the thread. Yet somehow unrelated to the fires you're now making it about Canadians complaining about Americans. Full stop! it's not them, it's not Americans or Canadians, it's you. Your argument isn't even coherent at this point.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-02-2023 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-02-2023, 06:06 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,133,744 times
Right on, Champ!

In fact, the only thing worth pursuing is talk about Forest fires in both our countries, and eschew the mudslinging that premised the OP.

In that spirit, I was listening to a local radio segment about the forest fires in Quebec today.
Quite a change from earlier in the week. There are 116 fires and the crews are only able to handle 30 active fires at a time. The Fire authority has asked for international help. The onus is on protecting communities First. Massive trenches are being dug all over with heavy machinery where fires are closing in on towns and infrastructure, hydro plants, substations and pylons.

Incidentally, I saw a number of Bombardier 415 bombers last summer practicing diving runs on Chambly basin where I live.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post

...... I was listening to a local radio segment about the forest fires in Quebec today.
Quite a change from earlier in the week......
Sorry to hear about what's happening in Quebec now. Lots of fires there. Amazing how things can change for the worse so quickly. I just looked at the current and forecast firesmoke map and it looks like Quebec is taking a beating now too, and Alberta and Saskatchewan is even worse:

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

All that smoke drifting in a clockwise direction over the continent makes it look like there's a big vortex circling round and round and round directly over North America. Halifax's smoke has even managed to make its way to the Bahamas and Florida now.

We don't have a lot of really noticeable smoke right here on the west coast at the moment but around 2:30 or so this morning I looked out the window and saw the setting moon was shining dark, dark red through the normal clouds over the Pacific Ocean so I think there must have been some smoke in the west over the ocean too.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:54 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,133,744 times
@Zoisite/

Yes, according to transportation minister François Bonnardel, the fires in Quebec have become much more numerous in the past ten years leading up to today. Let’s hope our cities and towns in Canada remain intact.

Old 06-03-2023, 12:23 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,782,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
@Zoisite/

Yes, according to transportation minister François Bonnardel, the fires in Quebec have become much more numerous in the past ten years leading up to today. Let’s hope our cities and towns in Canada remain intact.

I swear all of the Northeast has become drier and warmer the past ten years. Sure we still get rainstorms and snowstorms but they seem to come in a bunch these years, sometimes overwhelming our streams, and then we might not see much precipitation for long periods of time. It does not take long for the ground and vegetation to parch, especially during warm months, and that greatly contributes to forest fires. If one ever looks frequently at weather maps like I do, the jet stream really does not look well these days. The jet stream is supposed to streak across the continent like a rainbow with maybe just a minor bump or two but lately it has either been sagging all the way down to Mexico or creased with big humps with no bounce and thereby dumping precipitation over the same places and leaving others high and dry. The jet stream seems like a tired sick man right now and I swear that we humans are somehow contributing to its lethargy.

Old 06-03-2023, 12:47 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
There fires still burning in New Jersey. You are being a bully.
The Bass River fire has burned about 500 acres and is 80% contained. The Flatiron fire in Medford is about 60% contained at under 200 acres.

Old 06-03-2023, 03:14 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The Bass River fire has burned about 500 acres and is 80% contained. The Flatiron fire in Medford is about 60% contained at under 200 acres.
I meant 5,000.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:06 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
France is sending 100 firefighters to Quebec:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-e...nces-1.6426931

Old 06-04-2023, 08:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
France is sending 100 firefighters to Quebec:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-e...nces-1.6426931
Wonderful. I think this is a first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada