Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 06:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,918,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
This is all on purpose so he can get attention and support from his right wing, reactionary audience. He gave up on human psychology a long time ago, he’s willing to throw away his professional credentials to look like some kind of free speech martyr. The whole thing is comical if it wasn’t so sad people are buying into this garbage
For him I think It's all about the money money money. Objectively - he is a very smart guy but he is obviously pandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 10:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I agree he seems nutty and unwell and is also far less interesting than he was early on when his public persona emerged. I initially found him to be a fascinating iconoclast. These days a lot of these so-called public intellectuals (which means something quite different today compared to the era of Marshall McLuhan) get more interested in building and maintaining their persona, than pursuing knowledge and truth.

That said, silencing Jordan Peterson (if this is what you are suggesting) would run against the principles of western liberal democracy. And would do more harm than good by sparking a huge angry backlash.
I wasn't actually suggesting that he should be silenced. However, I think he's seriously mentally ill, impressionable and easily influenced by his exposure to too much extremist party line disinformation and paranoid conspiracy theories found online which he then exaggerates even more in fantastical ways and promotes to other conspiranoids through his pod casts, interviews with celebrities, guest lectures, etc. at $70,000 a pop in advance.

He has discovered a new way for himself to make a living and big bucks by manipulating other ill and easily influenced people by fear-mongering and milking them for every dime he can get out of them while feeding them the extreme doom and gloom that they thrive on and want to believe. As such I think he needs some intensive mental health care and counselling and needs institutional peace, quiet and natural isolation and distractions of more positive and constructive natures which will not permit exposure to the world wide web and the extremism and paranoid conspiracies that influence and exacerbate his mental illness.

If he isn't influencing or being influenced by the misinformation, conspiracies and lies (his addict's habit) that he doesn't have access to while undergoing health care treatment then I guess you could consider that silencing him, and the mental health counselling might be considered a form of deprogramming or brain washing. So yes, looked at that way I think he needs silence and escape from the world. The guy is a wrecked addict and he's being influenced and is influencing other wrecks to become worse wrecks and stir up hornets' nests

I think he should have been stripped of his licenses years ago as soon as it was discovered that he was a drug abuser who took advantage of his license to write prescriptions for drugs. Now he abuses his body in other extreme ways and boasts about it to his cult followers.

I think he's a disgrace to this nation and has been allowed to be a disgrace for far too long because of lowering the bar on the principles of western liberal democracy and freedom of harmful hate speech.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:29 AM
pdw

2,692 posts, read 3,109,820 times
I think there has been a push via media moguls like Steve Bannon, etc to repackage fascism in a way to make it more palatable to modern audiences. I think the Daily Wire which Jordan Peterson is now working for is an example of this. Rebel News would be the Canadian media equivalent. The push to scapegoat LGBT, ideas like women should be “submissive” and creepy ideas like that, demonization of refugees and push against globalization, and for military isolationism. These are all out of whack with what used to be mainstream conservatism in 2015 but since the rise of Trump in the US has been fully embraced by many of the right leaning people I know here in Canada. Peterson is fully pushing an agenda, and one which I consider very dangerous as they have the potential to dismantle the relative world stability we’ve enjoyed since WW2 and push us back into chaos.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:44 AM

9,497 posts, read 5,281,074 times
Quote:
This is all on purpose so he can get attention and support from his right wing, reactionary audience. He gave up on human psychology a long time ago, he’s willing to throw away his professional credentials to look like some kind of free speech martyr. The whole thing is comical if it wasn’t so sad people are buying into this garbage
Dr Peterson has been outspoken on many issues, and if you are a Canadian, then you should be aware that his rise to public notoriety began with his vocal opposition to (I think it was) bill C-16 proposing that people be fined for using incorrect pronouns or "misgendering" people.

This lawsuit and judgement is a travesty to anything resembling 'justice.'

Old 08-25-2023, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I meant he’s being so stubborn about this on purpose. Maybe I’m biased because his anti-trans and climate denying rants have made me really find it hard to sympathize with him. I don’t necessarily agree with what the college of psychologists is doing but he’s clearly gotten to a point now where he’s a right wing media talking head and no longer a practising member of the field of psychology. There are certain ethical codes you’re expected to abide by and for such a scientific field he seems to be pushing against science, against the profession his membership in such a college would be him a representative of.
Pushing against the 'science' that one can change their gender? I've followed Dr Peterson for years and your characterizations of him are really way off the mark.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
IMO it has nothing to do with free speech.

He is a member of the Ontario College of Psychologists and as a member has to follow certain ethical codes.

He has been seen, by the College, as running afoul of them.

It has everything to do with standards within a profession.

https://cpo.on.ca/about-cpo/who-we-are/

https://cpo.on.ca/members/profession...ional-conduct/

His license is what is being threatened of being removed. As a non-member he can say what he likes.

He is spinning this as a free speech issue and trying to be a martyr.
I've read through the links. Where, specifically, has he run afoul of their ethical codes? I don't see it.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:56 AM

He doesn't 'cast himself as someone speaking with the authority of a psychologist,' he IS a psychologist!! and a highly trained one at that.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
His views go far beyond being only strange political views - his views are a mixed bag of unrealistic cherry picked patriarchal religion, misogyny, politics, absolutely bizarre psychology, extreme personal dietary and medical practises on himself and his family which he promotes to others (including his drugs habits that he brought to work with him and also exhibits the hyperactive symptoms of in all of his podcasts), anti-social/racial bigotry, other manic and weird beliefs and his teary meanderings and public emotional break-downs that are excessive beyond description.

I think before anyone can express an opinion of him it's necessary to see and hear the guy in action on more than only one or two interviews.

All on its own, his hostile and controlling misogynistic attitude toward women and his endorsement of keeping women as pregnant brood-mares in brood production year after year and under the thumb like slaves bound to a crazed lord and master was all I needed to observe about him and his behaviour to decide me and put me off him as being a first class nutcase and cultist. And to be fair I have watched a few of his interviews on various topics to ensure that I wasn't making premature and harsh judgements on him. I think he is a very sick individual.

He just keeps on getting nuttier and more bizarre and outspoken in his extreme right views. I think he needs to be de-programmed and turned off and I think he knows he needs it too but also knows that's never going to happen so he's milking the system and his cult followers for all he can get out of a society.

It makes me so sad that there are other unrealistic and sick people who are members of his cult, who believe in him as some kind of saviour and who are paying for his podcasts and are financially supporting him and his weird mania.

WOW. This is insane commentary.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:57 AM

1,259 posts, read 521,265 times
Quote:
I think there has been a push via media moguls like Steve Bannon, etc to repackage fascism in a way to make it more palatable to modern au
diences. I think the Daily Wire which Jordan Peterson is now working for is an example of this.s.
LOL You are utterly obsessed with American media. Sadly your views are also symptoms of the very thing your complain about. Too many Canadians both right and left are guided by American politics. That includes you PDW.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:35 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Dr Peterson has been outspoken on many issues, and if you are a Canadian, then you should be aware that his rise to public notoriety began with his vocal opposition to (I think it was) bill C-16 proposing that people be fined for using incorrect pronouns or "misgendering" people.

This lawsuit and judgement is a travesty to anything resembling 'justice.'
I think it's quite accurate to say that the excesses of the woke left played a huge role in making Jordan Peterson the very visible and influential public figure he is today, for better or worse.

When you pull the pendulum really really far to one side, it obviously determines how far it will swing back in the other direction.

This cuts both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada