Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 10:45 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times

Advertisements

$25000 plus must attend a re-education session. He says No.

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaki...is-license?cfp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 11:03 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
This is all on purpose so he can get attention and support from his right wing, reactionary audience. He gave up on human psychology a long time ago, he’s willing to throw away his professional credentials to look like some kind of free speech martyr. The whole thing is comical if it wasn’t so sad people are buying into this garbage

Old 08-23-2023, 11:32 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I do think this is a serious issue of free speech. Much more serious than it appears.

@pdw - what is on purpose?

Old 08-23-2023, 01:28 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I do think this is a serious issue of free speech. Much more serious than it appears.

I meant he’s being so stubborn about this on purpose. Maybe I’m biased because his anti-trans and climate denying rants have made me really find it hard to sympathize with him. I don’t necessarily agree with what the college of psychologists is doing but he’s clearly gotten to a point now where he’s a right wing media talking head and no longer a practising member of the field of psychology. There are certain ethical codes you’re expected to abide by and for such a scientific field he seems to be pushing against science, against the profession his membership in such a college would be him a representative of.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:37 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
His anti trans rants? Can you please be more specific? What did he says that was explicitly "anti-trans"?

Old 08-23-2023, 01:41 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
?

I agree and I am glad he is holding his ground.

I don't agree with everything Jordan Peterson says but the way he is attacked by the left is very troubling.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:07 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I meant he’s being so stubborn about this on purpose. Maybe I’m biased because his anti-trans and climate denying rants have made me really find it hard to sympathize with him. I don’t necessarily agree with what the college of psychologists is doing but he’s clearly gotten to a point now where he’s a right wing media talking head and no longer a practising member of the field of psychology. There are certain ethical codes you’re expected to abide by and for such a scientific field he seems to be pushing against science, against the profession his membership in such a college would be him a representative of.
In other words Peterson is being an individual who is non-compliant with authorities and pdw expects obedience to authority.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:42 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
He’s also hero to the incel community.

Old 08-23-2023, 03:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:

IMO it has nothing to do with free speech.

He is a member of the Ontario College of Psychologists and as a member has to follow certain ethical codes.

He has been seen, by the College, as running afoul of them.

It has everything to do with standards within a profession.

https://cpo.on.ca/about-cpo/who-we-are/

https://cpo.on.ca/members/profession...ional-conduct/

His license is what is being threatened of being removed. As a non-member he can say what he likes.

He is spinning this as a free speech issue and trying to be a martyr.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:52 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
IMO it has nothing to do with free speech.

He is a member of the Ontario College of Psychologists and as a member has to follow certain ethical codes.

He has been seen, by the College, as running afoul of them.

It has everything to do with standards within a profession.

https://cpo.on.ca/about-cpo/who-we-are/

https://cpo.on.ca/members/profession...ional-conduct/

His license is what is being threatened of being removed. As a non-member he can say what he likes.

He is spinning this as a free speech issue and trying to be a martyr.
I've never listened to or read anything by Peterson. Never even heard of him before a mention on this forum some time ago.

Regarding free speech, I don't doubt he wants to be a martyr. People who bring up freedom of speech usually do. However, I also think this "woke" thing has gone too far. None of us have freedom of speech if it only applies to people we agree with and I think Peterson has a point when he says his political views should not impact his standing as a psychologist. If he was speaking as a psychologist I'd agree with you.

Last edited by netwit; 08-23-2023 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada