Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 12:33 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The rise in this sort of “Christian identity” moves recently is disturbing to me even as a self identifying Christian. A lot of it seems to have little to do with the message of Jesus Christ and a lot more to do with Islamophobic or white nationalist dogwhistles. Look at the kind rhetoric a certain orange faced politician to our southern border is using when he himself is almost certainly not a Christian. Yet it doesn’t matter to his supporters who have a religious like devotion to him. Christianity and religion are not political and should not be.
Last thing we need is to import that garbage here. Evangelicals need to accept that they are one of many branches of Christianity and should not speak for our faith as a whole.
Jesus Christ himself was arguably a politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 12:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think the idea behind Christian Heritage Month is to have more stat holidays.

Just to have it talked about all the time everywhere like Pride or Black History Month.

Not supporting or condemning. Just trying to understand and explain.
I got that, but I think pdw hit the nail on the head.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:07 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ himself was arguably a politician.
He was not a politician. His kingdom is not of this world.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
He was not a politician. His kingdom is not of this world.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:04 AM

335 posts, read 154,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Today on social issues, they have been dragged into the 21st century...mostly...but if you were to find a politician that is socially conservative, they would most likely be a member of that party. However Canada is...well...flexible? You will find people voting Conservative who aren't socially conservative in any way.
I think you'd find more of the American-style social conservatism in Quebec and western Canada than you would in the rest of the country. That being said, American hot-button topics such as abortion are not massive issues for most people in Canada, conservative or otherwise.

Up until very recent times, America had two parties: a right wing party and an extreme right wing party. American conservatives make Canadian conservatives look like communists by comparison.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I think you'd find more of the American-style social conservatism in Quebec and western Canada than you would in the rest of the country. That being said, American hot-button topics such as abortion are not massive issues for most people in Canada, conservative or otherwise.

Up until very recent times, America had two parties: a right wing party and an extreme right wing party. American conservatives make Canadian conservatives look like communists by comparison.
What forms of American-style conservatism would be strongly present and have any type of agency or power in Quebec?

Old 12-11-2023, 01:50 PM

335 posts, read 154,755 times
Quote:
What forms of American-style conservatism would be strongly present and have any type of agency or power in Quebec?
The Church for one, and a lot of traditional values that come from being a more religious society. The USA does not have language laws per se, but I can't imagine American conservatives want to be speaking Spanish any more than Quebecois wish to be speaking English.

Quebec is far more culturally conservative than anywhere else in Canada. I don't know why this is even being debated.

Old 12-11-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
The Church for one, and a lot of traditional values that come from being a more religious society. The USA does not have language laws per se, but I can't imagine American conservatives want to be speaking Spanish any more than Quebecois wish to be speaking English.

Quebec is far more culturally conservative than anywhere else in Canada. I don't know why this is even being debated.
This sounds like you're posting from 1962.

Quebec is one of the least religious if not the least religious part of Canada and the US.

https://biv.com/article/2023/12/reli...ngly-important

Quebec is almost obsessively secular, to the point of being anti-religious almost. And Anglo-Canadians crap on Quebec for being that way - and call us intolerant for it.

Cultural and linguistic preservation is a matter of existential survival in Quebec. I guess you could call that "conservatism". But one could also say that it's pro-diversity, since it's about preserving the only area on this landmass where the English isn't the dominant language of wider society.

And aside from that, Quebec is tops or close to tops in USA-Canada when it comes to liberal progressive attitudes on:

- the nanny state, social programs and taxation
- militarism and peace
- climate change
- gay rights
- abortion
- women's rights
- gun control

And a bunch of others.

Thanks for stopping by, though!

Old 12-11-2023, 03:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The rise in this sort of “Christian identity” moves recently is disturbing to me even as a self identifying Christian. A lot of it seems to have little to do with the message of Jesus Christ and a lot more to do with Islamophobic or white nationalist dogwhistles. Look at the kind rhetoric a certain orange faced politician to our southern border is using when he himself is almost certainly not a Christian. Yet it doesn’t matter to his supporters who have a religious like devotion to him. Christianity and religion are not political and should not be.
Last thing we need is to import that garbage here. Evangelicals need to accept that they are one of many branches of Christianity and should not speak for our faith as a whole.
Why do you always insist on bringing american politics into the Canadian forum? You associate christianity with white nationalism. That in itself is bigotry as many Christians in Canada are not whtie infact it is people of color keeping Christianity alive in Canada.

Old 12-11-2023, 03:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Quote:
I don't think the idea behind Christian Heritage Month is to have more stat holidays.

Just to have it talked about all the time everywhere like Pride or Black History Month.

Not supporting or condemning. Just trying to understand and explain.
Natnasci is bigoted against Christians. They have said Christianity is the enemy in this country before. I guarantee they would not have reacted the same way had a poltician proposed a month for any other religion.

Last edited by Luisito80; 12-11-2023 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada