Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 10:28 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

I say that I don't bring the gender identity topic up much in my entourage and that's true, but in all honesty that's because my kids are no longer in elementary and high school.

If they were still in the K-12 school system I'd probably have more to say about it around here.

And of course the people I know who talk about it the most are precisely those with kids in K-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 10:36 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Do you have kids?
As I mentioned in another thread - no I don’t.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:46 AM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
The ultra-progressives are a minority but they are loud and they have an abnormal influence on the media, government, universities and social organizations. So they are able to create a heavy pressure over more moderate people who tend to disagree with some aspects of their ideas. They can make you feel embarrassed for expressing your disagreement. I am a moderate, but if I’m in a group with some very progressive people I will just shut my mouth about any controversy because I know they’ll make it feel like I’m being a monster even if I’m only partially disagreeing with half of what they say.

Only the extreme opposite doesn’t care about what other people think, so it can feel like everyone who is not an ultra-progressive is basically an openly racist person. But there’s a big silent majority of more moderate people who are not inclined to argue with extremists, so they just keep quiet.

There are millions and millions of moderate people with moderate views about immigration, transgenders and other subjects. Far from being really racists or homophobes.
Yes, this is how I felt with the vaccine mandates and convoy as well. I think a lot of Canadians agreed with the protestors in wanting to end the mandates, even if they didn't think the vaccines were a WEF weapon for population control, but people with those more extreme views were much more likely to have the motivation to commit weeks of time to the protests and risk their careers while the moderates just stayed home.

But back to the trans issue, I have been able to have constructive discussions with progressives, but it does help if it's someone you know and there's some mutual respect, and it's a smaller group (ideally 1 on 1) so there's less peer pressure to oppose you, and if you don't put all your cards on the table and just ask some questions that might cause them to realize there are certain gaps in their reasoning, things they can't explain. I have noticed among my progressive acquaintances that they seem a bit more willing to express doubts or concerns about the activists agenda.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:10 AM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I say that I don't bring the gender identity topic up much in my entourage and that's true, but in all honesty that's because my kids are no longer in elementary and high school.

If they were still in the K-12 school system I'd probably have more to say about it around here.

And of course the people I know who talk about it the most are precisely those with kids in K-12.
Yeah, it's not that I find transgender people interesting to talk about, it's just some of the stuff currently going on is quite troubling. Specially when it comes to school age kids. I am a parent. These things need to be debated and not blindly accepted.

The problem is not just in schools though. You can now lose your job for saying things like there are two genders. Not only that, it is considered hate speech by some. Things have gotten pretty weird and unreasonable. Like the example of the shelter for women rape victims that lost their funding for not accepting biological men. Women shouldn't have to share their spaces with biological men. Some of the things we are seeing in sports are insane and totally unfair to real women.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:29 AM

333 posts, read 153,016 times
Quote:
People are still generally keeping very quiet about things in workplaces. At least white collar workplaces.
That's because workplaces are where you do what your employer pays you to do. They are not the forum for political grandstanding and protests. In most white collar environments, you would be sanctioned and/or fired for such a display with cause.

Quote:
You can now lose your job for saying things like there are two genders. Not only that, it is considered hate speech by some.
This is why there has been such a sharp rise in support for right-wing politics in many western countries. Many of us have hope that a right-wing government will bring some common sense back into politics.

Quote:
Things have gotten pretty weird and unreasonable. Like the example of the shelter for women rape victims that lost their funding for not accepting biological men. Women shouldn't have to share their spaces with biological men. Some of the things we are seeing in sports are insane and totally unfair to real women.
I find this whole trans movement one of the worst examples of organized misogyny on the planet.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's not that I find transgender people interesting to talk about, it's just some of the stuff currently going on is quite troubling. Specially when it comes to school age kids. I am a parent. These things need to be debated and not blindly accepted.

The problem is not just in schools though. You can now lose your job for saying things like there are two genders. Not only that, it is considered hate speech by some. Things have gotten pretty weird and unreasonable. Like the example of the shelter for women rape victims that lost their funding for not accepting biological men. Women shouldn't have to share their spaces with biological men. Some of the things we are seeing in sports are insane and totally unfair to real women.
It's also arguably toxic for gay people, especially lesbians. They are getting harangued, called TERFs and threatened for not wanting trans women (with penises!) as sexual partners.

It's like it was some kind of sick joke. But it's real.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
That's because workplaces are where you do what your employer pays you to do. They are not the forum for political grandstanding and protests. In most white collar environments, you would be sanctioned and/or fired for such a display with cause.

That's fine in principle but if that's the case then why do most workplaces push stuff like BLM, EDI, and Pride week, month, season, etc.?

Old 02-06-2024, 12:02 PM

And here I thought gay people's rights were sacred and had to be protected? (And I'm on board for that.)

But now they've been knocked way down the pecking order by someone else.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Good.

If you wouldn't let your kid get a tattoo because they're too young to decide something permanent as a child, then you should remain consistent and not let them lop off their genitals and make permanent changes to their body that there is a very real chance they will later regret.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:27 PM

333 posts, read 153,016 times
Quote:
That's fine in principle but if that's the case then why do most workplaces push stuff like BLM, EDI, and Pride week, month, season, etc.?
I work for one of the leading Canadian FIs and this stuff is hardly "pushed" internally. A rainbow logo for Pride month on the public facing webpage is about all they do. Internally, the policy is do your job, be respectful of your co-workers and don't be a jerk. Making controversial political statements fits in with that last point and would likely be frowned upon. The best advice is simply to avoid controversial topics while in the office. That being said, policies at other FIs may vary to some degree or another. I have friends who work at one of the major Canadian banks that has gone full-woke, but that seems to be more the exception than the rule as it has a tendency to make it more difficult to make enough money to keep your shareholders happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada