Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 02:44 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Canadian commander of volunteer fighter group dies in Ukraine

Jean-Francois Ratelle, 36, was also known by the call sign "Hrulf."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...aine-1.6812388
May he rest in peace. Incredibly brave and selfless to leave the comfort of Canada and fight against the Russian invaders in Ukraine. Reminds me of the Canadians who went to fight in other wars in past times out of a sense of duty to this country and the freedoms we often take for granted. I hope his family is doing OK in this difficult time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 06:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...aine-1.6812388
May he rest in peace. Incredibly brave and selfless to leave the comfort of Canada and fight against the Russian invaders in Ukraine. Reminds me of the Canadians who went to fight in other wars in past times out of a sense of duty to this country and the freedoms we often take for granted. I hope his family is doing OK in this difficult time
He did look for adventure and he did find it. Should have stayed at home playing video games.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:18 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
He did look for adventure and he did find it. Should have stayed at home playing video games.
He’s a hero and a true Canadian patriot to fight against an expansionist authoritarian invasion. Unless you’re the level of insane that you’re actually rooting for Putin to succeed

Old 03-20-2024, 08:33 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
He’s a hero and a true Canadian patriot to fight against an expansionist authoritarian invasion. Unless you’re the level of insane that you’re actually rooting for Putin to succeed
It has nothing to do with rooting for anybody. The guy wanted adrenaline and got his wish. He was no hero, it was not his war.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
When more information about this young man comes to light I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that his family in Canada are all from Ukraine, that he has other close family members in Ukraine and that he is a Ukrainian-Canadian just like so many others of us are.

Some people in other countries aren't aware of how close the family and patriotic ties are between so many Canadians and Ukrainians in both Canada and Ukraine. Canada has the world's third-largest Ukrainian population behind Ukraine and Russia and the Ukrainian-Canadians in Canada are Canada's eleventh largest ethnic group.

So I think that no foreigner from a foreign country and now living in yet another, different foreign country (which is not Canada) is in any position to state that a fight in Ukraine is not a fight of any Ukraine sympathizing Canadians who feel the familial and patriotic call to fight for Ukraine, the motherland of ancestors of many Canadians and their Ukrainian families here in Canada.

Next thing you know we'll be hearing from other undiplomatic foreigners making uncalled for comments to the effect that when Canadians went overseas to Europe in the 20th century to fight in World Wars 1 and 2 that those wars were not the Canadian's fight either, that they were not heroes and that they should have stayed at home playing games.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
When more information about this young man comes to light I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that his family in Canada are all from Ukraine, that he has other close family members in Ukraine and that he is a Ukrainian-Canadian just like so many others of us are.

Some people in other countries aren't aware of how close the family and patriotic ties are between so many Canadians and Ukrainians in both Canada and Ukraine. Canada has the world's third-largest Ukrainian population behind Ukraine and Russia and the Ukrainian-Canadians in Canada are Canada's eleventh largest ethnic group.

So I think that no foreigner from a foreign country and now living in yet another, different foreign country (which is not Canada) is in any position to state that a fight in Ukraine is not a fight of any Ukraine sympathizing Canadians who feel the familial and patriotic call to fight for Ukraine, the motherland of ancestors of many Canadians and their Ukrainian families here in Canada.

Next thing you know we'll be hearing from other undiplomatic foreigners making uncalled for comments to the effect that when Canadians went overseas to Europe in the 20th century to fight in World Wars 1 and 2 that those wars were not the Canadian's fight either, that they were not heroes and that they should have stayed at home playing games.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:00 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
It has nothing to do with rooting for anybody. The guy wanted adrenaline and got his wish. He was no hero, it was not his war.
It was his conviction and doing what he feels is right. I cannot judge. Canadians do not have to fight in only wars that involves their country.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:30 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Jean-François Ratelle is a totally Québécois French Canadian name.

Unless his mom is Ukrainian but I doubt it.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:59 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
For those who feel that a Canadian had no business there ...

Canadians participated in the Vietnam War. Canada was not a belligerent, but 30,000 Canadians participated anyway. Mostly, by crossing the border and signing up with US forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada...he_Vietnam_War

From the item:

Quote:
Privately, some Canadians contributed to the war effort. Canadian corporations sold war material to the U.S. government. In addition, at least 30,000 Canadians volunteered to serve in the U.S. armed forces during the war. At least 134 Canadians died or were reported missing in Vietnam.
Serving in another country's forces in time of war is nothing new to Canadians. It's what we do.

Oh, by the way, Americans--that's 30,000 Canadians who fought with you in Vietnam. Do you remember them? Do you even care about them? Are their names on your wall in Washington DC? Do they get VA benefits from you? Do they get anything from the country they went to help?

I'll reserve comment for now.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:32 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Jean-François Ratelle is a totally Québécois French Canadian name.

Unless his mom is Ukrainian but I doubt it.
quick google search on his name suggest an educated young man who followed his convictions by taking action in what he beleived

https://carleton.ca/eurus/people/jean-francois-ratelle/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada