Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Prettier province?
British Columbia 12 80.00%
Nova Scotia 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 3,608 times

Advertisements

In your opinion? Which has a better view in both aspects of being a postcard picture you send to your granny or just pretty while physically living and visiting there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 12:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
I would say BC is more scenic overall. BC is also much bigger than NS, it's not really a fair comparison. Having said that though, few places I have seen in Canada are as beautiful as Cape Breton island.

Old 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I would say BC is more scenic overall. BC is also much bigger than NS, it's not really a fair comparison. Having said that though, few places I have seen in Canada are as beautiful as Cape Breton island.
I guess Nova Scotia, you can conflate it with the Maritimes, like NB etc. I am American so what do I know, but I agree, it is pretty different size wise.

However I have only been to BC and I have a friend in NS. NS has a better postcard look feel IMO in pictures and I heard the pine trees smell good there and in Maine area as well. My vote for BC was biased haha, as I only have been there, but I would not at all be shocked if NS seems nicer on a visit. I cannot wait to visit Canada again though!

Old 03-31-2024, 03:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Well I don't believe one can really make an honest comparison due to the huge disparity in the sizes and locations of those two provinces. I think they're probably equally scenic but quite different from each other in the type of scenery they possess. I think the same thing could probably be said for all of Canada. That's based on some excellent video documentaries I watched about each of the provinces and territories across Canada and there is fantastic and unique beauty to be found in all of them. I guess it depends on what a person is looking for that will appeal to them the most when they're thinking in terms of scenery.

I will say this about BC and I don't know if the same can be said for the rest of Canada. BC has some of all of the natural scenic virtues of the rest of Canada in it because of its size and it's many changes in geography, geology, topography, biology and climate zones.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:53 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Yeah I agree it’s not fair to compare since bc is so big. They have desert, mountains, ocean, forests. Nova Scotia has forests and beautiful hills and cliffs, beautiful coastlines but it’s just too small a province to compare. One way Nova Scotia is better is that during the summer the water will be warmer on the beaches so if you like to sunbathe and swim it might be better. Still cold compared to lake beaches in Ontario though.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:53 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,522,955 times
BC by a long way.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
The gulf islands and Vancouver island with places like Tofino and Pacific rim national park are hard to beat. I have never been to these spots personally but the pictures and drone shots I have seen are amazing.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Yeah I agree it’s not fair to compare since bc is so big. They have desert, mountains, ocean, forests. Nova Scotia has forests and beautiful hills and cliffs, beautiful coastlines but it’s just too small a province to compare. One way Nova Scotia is better is that during the summer the water will be warmer on the beaches so if you like to sunbathe and swim it might be better. Still cold compared to lake beaches in Ontario though.
If you'd like to compare Vancouver Island with Nova Scotia, that may make more sense. Or Vancouver Island with NS Penisula or Cape Breton, one of each.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:10 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
One of the challenges in the OP's question, is that every place is different, and scenic in its own way. What does the OP consider scenic? Mountains, oceans, lots of trees, prairie thunderstorms where you're driving in bright sunshine while a location ten or twelve miles away is getting pounded with rain and lightning? I've seen them all--I've driven through all ten provinces, and they are all scenic.

In Nova Scotia, drive the 105 (the TCH) up over Kelly's Mountain, and down into Sydney. Drive the Cabot Trail over the top of Cape Breton Island. Get to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, Halifax. Yes, Halifax. It's got music and a vibe you don't get in BC. And you're never very far from a body of salt water--the Atlantic Ocean, the Bay of Fundy with its tides, they're there.

In British Columbia, the city of Victoria is beautiful with its architecture. Try the ferry from Tsawassen to Sidney; its a transportation system, but might as well be a cruise through the Gulf Islands. Take the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler; stop by Brandywine Falls. Take Highway 1 (again, the TCH) from Vancouver to Banff (or you could do the Coquihalla, BC Hwy 5, into Kamloops), or try the Highway 3 via the Cranbrooke and the Crowsnest Pass. Mountains? They're all over the place.

"Scenic" is in the eye of the beholder, and as one who has seen a lot of this country, I can assure you that you will find gems in every province. One of the nicest mornings I ever spent was an early morning drive northbound (westbound) on Ontario Hwy 17, out of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Bright sunshine, a twisting road that required alertness, but some great views of Lake Superior. A coffee stop in White River, then on towards Thunder Bay through some even more spectacular scenery. Don't miss the Aguasabon Falls near Terrace Bay.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:35 AM

2,395 posts, read 1,069,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
One of the challenges in the OP's question, is that every place is different, and scenic in its own way. What does the OP consider scenic? Mountains, oceans, lots of trees, prairie thunderstorms where you're driving in bright sunshine while a location ten or twelve miles away is getting pounded with rain and lightning? I've seen them all--I've driven through all ten provinces, and they are all scenic.

In Nova Scotia, drive the 105 (the TCH) up over Kelly's Mountain, and down into Sydney. Drive the Cabot Trail over the top of Cape Breton Island. Get to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, Halifax. Yes, Halifax. It's got music and a vibe you don't get in BC. And you're never very far from a body of salt water--the Atlantic Ocean, the Bay of Fundy with its tides, they're there.

In British Columbia, the city of Victoria is beautiful with its architecture. Try the ferry from Tsawassen to Sidney; its a transportation system, but might as well be a cruise through the Gulf Islands. Take the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler; stop by Brandywine Falls. Take Highway 1 (again, the TCH) from Vancouver to Banff (or you could do the Coquihalla, BC Hwy 5, into Kamloops), or try the Highway 3 via the Cranbrooke and the Crowsnest Pass. Mountains? They're all over the place.

"Scenic" is in the eye of the beholder, and as one who has seen a lot of this country, I can assure you that you will find gems in every province. One of the nicest mornings I ever spent was an early morning drive northbound (westbound) on Ontario Hwy 17, out of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Bright sunshine, a twisting road that required alertness, but some great views of Lake Superior. A coffee stop in White River, then on towards Thunder Bay through some even more spectacular scenery. Don't miss the Aguasabon Falls near Terrace Bay.
You're right ....scenic is in the eye of the beholder...some people hate deserts, others love them.

I have not been to all ten provinces....been to 6 and 1 territory....

All have areas of scenic beauty...

If I had to rank them ....BC would be number one.

BC is also more scenic than any state in the US....except, maybe Alaska and California.

Ontario is just ok.....it has 4 of 5 Great Lakes....which helps ...and the Canadian Shield area
near Lake Superior is pretty scenic. SW Ontario ...west of the Niagara Escarpment to Windsor
is not....flat and boring.

Nova Scotia has very scenic coastlines and the amazing Cabot Trail...but not as scenic as BC.

Even Saskatchewan and Manitoba have their "beauty spots" but they ain't no BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada