Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 06:52 PM

7,307 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

How many here have seen a total eclipse before?

We had a total eclipse in 1979. I recall people being warned not to look directly at the sun and advising the use of welder's glasses. I recall there also being instructions on a cardboard viewer.

I don't remember anything about keeping kids in school at recess.

When the eclipse happened, birds roosted in trees and twittered quietly. It was surprisingly dark. Animals quieted down just as they normally would at dusk. Now I see posts online from people worried about their creatures staring at the sun !?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 01:39 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
I've seen one. It was in about 1972, and it was what Carly Simon was referring to in her song, "You're So Vain," when she sang the lyric, "Then you flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun." I was in Toronto at the time, and we were not in the path of totality (Nova Scotia was, thus the song lyric), but we did get about 80% totality in southern Ontario.

It took place on a Saturday, as I recall, so there was nothing about keeping kids in at recess. We kids were free to fry our eyes as much as we liked. No, just kidding; all the teachers at school told us how to make a "viewing box," with a pinhole in it, so we could safely watch. We were warned repeatedly, by teachers and parents and other adults, not to look at the eclipse directly, but I recall taking a couple of quick glimpses. Hey, I was a rebel, even back then.

As dangerous as it was, it was quite something to see. I did not see the moon cover the sun totally, but it was something to see the moon cut out a chunk of the sun. Quite the sight!

I hope that those who make the effort to see this one, do so safely. Enjoy, folks, you may only see one in your lifetime, but it's worth it if you try. But view it safely!

Old 04-05-2024, 07:05 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
If you are in Montreal you will have to be on the South Shore or you won't see totality.

Quote:
A local astronomer estimates that as much as 45 per cent of the population in the Greater Montreal area is actually outside of the path, meaning around 2 million people will have to travel at least a few kilometres south or east to experience it.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...-solar-eclipse

It would be a shame to miss totality by a few kilometers.

Ottawa will miss it too. People will have top travel down to Cornwall. It could get pretty crowded if 100,000 people go down there. It could be even more. Ottawa has 1 million people, right?

Last edited by mascoma; 04-05-2024 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 02:08 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Downtown Montreal is right in the path though. You won't have to be on the south shore (suburbs) to get the full effect.

The Ottawa-Gatineau metropolitan area has 1.5 million people. It's about an hour's drive away from the closest places that will be right in the path.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:18 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Total eclipse of the heartland.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:31 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
We will be watching it from our home on Lake Erie in Colchester, which will have about 90 seconds of totality.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Who went to see it? I saw it in Montreal and that was fantastic. I also had friends who went to Sherbrooke who also loved it.

It also seems crazy there is no regular passenger train service between Sherbrooke and Montreal.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I was in the 99.98% zone and as the late Montreal astrophysicist Hubert Reeves once said, when it comes to solar eclipses, it's 100% or nothing.

So it was quite underwhelming here.

One of my kids was in the 100% zone in downtown Montreal, with the special glasses. Said it was awesome.

Old Today, 02:31 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was in the 99.98% zone and as the late Montreal astrophysicist Hubert Reeves once said, when it comes to solar eclipses, it's 100% or nothing.

One of my kids was in the 100% zone in downtown Montreal, with the special glasses. Said it was awesome.

Ah, that's unfortunate for you--you were so close!

Old Today, 04:11 PM

7,307 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Interesting. Even at 99% it was underwhelming?

We had around 40% here and I can't say I noticed a difference other than you could see it with a quick glance at the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada