Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM

99 posts, read 610,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
Same link that was posted on page 1 of this thread...

Contact Us
I kept going to this site, and I never found this page, THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,324,844 times
Quote:
The OP is not trying to immigrate. Retaining an attorney just to visit would be overkill unless there were significant obstacles.
The title of the thread is "Can Americans Move Easily To Canada".
American citizens cannot move at will to Canada (not legally anyway). We are required to go through the immigration process or at a minimum get visa if we plan to stay longer than 6 months and a specialized, sponsored visa if we plan to work while in Canada.

I was speaking to the general subject of this thread not a specific individual. It is foolish for anyone to attempt to navigate the Canadian Immigration bureaucracy on their own.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
The title of the thread is "Can Americans Move Easily To Canada".
American citizens cannot move at will to Canada (not legally anyway). We are required to go through the immigration process or at a minimum get visa if we plan to stay longer than 6 months and a specialized, sponsored visa if we plan to work while in Canada.

I was speaking to the general subject of this thread not a specific individual. It is foolish for anyone to attempt to navigate the Canadian Immigration bureaucracy on their own.
I agree it is smart to use an immigration attorney if moving to Canada. My company retained one for me when I moved here from the US and it made the whole process very painless.

With that said, the original poster isn't really looking to move to Canada. Titles aside, in reading his posts, he is really just trying to visit for 12 months or so. The people at CIC should be able to give him correct advice without the need for an attorney.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 14,364 times
I have recently discussed this same issue with a Canadian immigration lawyer. NO, you cannot stay more than 6 months without permission. And you cannot come back to the US for a short while and then just return. You need a permanent address in the US. Also, if you are driving, the car must be registered in your name or don't try crossing the border at all. There are strict rules about bringing posessions for an extended stay also. To visit right now you need a birth certificate, and picture ID, but that is changing soon.
It is coming back into the US you need to consider. This is harder than you think if you do not have a passport after a certain date. You need to look into this very closely. The border crossing is difficult both ways. There is a lot of information on the net, but it is more beneficial to actually talk to someone who deals with immigration.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,239,516 times
I have had thoughts of retiring in Canada just because I like the north, trees, water, low population density, nice people......I would have my US retirement and some health insurance (although I'm not sure how it would carry to retiring in a different country).
After looking at the CIC It seems one the first major hurdles is trying to fit yourself into some govt category.
I guess I would be using the advice to contact the attorney myself.
For the OP, I think scheduling a trip to the nearest Canadian embassy for a real face to face might be a good thing. I suppose you have to make an appt?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 PM

34 posts, read 94,399 times
Hi All, Hope you're still following this thread. I'm seriously considering moving to Vancouver in the fall. I am American. Do you know the laws? I would work for myself so wouldn't need a job (writer, life coach, internet biz). Do you know how long I could live there? Is it really so simple as to cross the border after six months and then re-enter again? Don't they sniff that out easily?? I would have my things and kitties there and would die if I couldn't get back into them. Anyone with experience on this? Perhaps best to just move and sort it out within six months what to do? thanks,

Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,760,883 times
Is it possible to enter Canada posng as a visitor only to work and live here? Sure.

There are a few inconveniences, though, like lack of medical coverage. There's also the distinct possibility of spending 6 months in Canada, leaving for a week, and then being refused re-entry.

If you wish to do things legally, all the pertinent information is available at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,101 times
What if you want to retire in Canada. Can you pay cash for a house and take up occupancy. What about Health Insurance? We would not be working at that point just living off Social Security and other investments

Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,760,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerchant View Post
What if you want to retire in Canada. Can you pay cash for a house and take up occupancy. What about Health Insurance? We would not be working at that point just living off Social Security and other investments

Sure, you can pay cash for a house and just move in. Citizenship and Immigration Canada is very unlikely to track your whereabouts.

BUT

You will not be in Canada legally.

You will not be covered by Canada's various government health plans.
You will not be permitted to vote.
If you leave the country, you have no guaranteed right to re-enter.

In short, you will be an illegal resident and have to deal with all the inconveniences associated with that situation.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 PM

19 posts, read 37,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaBella View Post
Thanks for this, I guess it's the lack of distinction between living and visiting temporarily, because I couldn't get a solid answer... and the bad info and opinions in this thread were not helping, I don't know why people who really don't know things respond...

I think i'd be fine on the money, I don't live extravagantly, and I've seen apartments go for 800 canadian with utilities included... so.. if I spend 10K on rent/bills a year, I still have a decent monthly amount... and i can make more money here anyway...

ty.
out of curiosity,how did it go???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada