Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM

99 posts, read 218,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan5576 View Post
Highly educated and well paid blacks - Mississauga
In between blacks - Brampton
Poor blacks/Recent immigrants - North Etobicoke/NW Toronto (Jane/finch)/Regent park and Scarborough

*Smaller cities like Hamilton, Waterloo, London also have blacks doing ok with the exception of Windsor which is heavily influenced by Detroit.
Wow, over generalizations much? And where's the proof that blacks in Mississauga are as upper class as u claim?

Originally from Scarborough educated not poor and black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:55 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
Do most Canadian black neighborhoods have a low crime rate? Here in the US there are a few black middle class neighborhoods but most are poor with high crimes and they have little education and poor job opportunities. It is an atrosity. The US is so racist and our cities mostly segregated.
Unfortunately, the truth is that in most Canadian cities with decent-sized black populations, neighbourhoods with higher percentages of black residents tend to be "rougher" areas. Although, in no city would the *only* rough areas be the more black areas. Most Canadian cities also have rough areas that are predominantly white, and as people have said before earlier on this thread, even the so-called "black" areas of Canadian cities like Toronto often have a white majority, a white plurality or a varied mix of races. None would be 95+% black like much of the south side of Chicago, for exampke.

Also note the fact that the cities with the highest overall crime rates in Canada are in the West, and these are cities with very low black populations. Cities in the centre and east of Canada like Montreal, Halifax and the larger cities in Ontario, where most of Canada's blacks live, have noticeably lower crime rates than the western cities.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unfortunately, the truth is that in most Canadian cities with decent-sized black populations, neighbourhoods with higher percentages of black residents tend to be "rougher" areas. Although, in no city would the *only* rough areas be the more black areas. Most Canadian cities also have rough areas that are predominantly white, and as people have said before earlier on this thread, even the so-called "black" areas of Canadian cities like Toronto often have a white majority, a white plurality or a varied mix of races. None would be 95+% black like much of the south side of Chicago, for exampke.

Also note the fact that the cities with the highest overall crime rates in Canada are in the West, and these are cities with very low black populations. Cities in the centre and east of Canada like Montreal, Halifax and the larger cities in Ontario, where most of Canada's blacks live, have noticeably lower crime rates than the western cities.
That is interesting that the Western cities tend to have higher crime rates. I think the only non-White groups that tend to be more visible in that part of the country are Eastern and Southern Asians and First Nations groups.

Also, the only community I know with a very high Black population in Canada is Preston in Nova Scotia, which is 69.4% Black and the North Preston part of the town in particular is in the 90's in terms of percentage. I'm not sure about sections like the North End of Halifax, parts of Windsor, Little Burgundy and so on in terms of the Black percentage in those particular sections or neighborhoods. Here's the information on Preston: Community Counts Home Page (http://www.gov.ns.ca/finance/communitycounts/summary.asp?ptype=geo&gnum=com932&gname=Preston&gn um2=com932&gtype=Province&yearid=&yearid2=&acctype =&chartid=&mapid=&dcol=&gnew=2&gview=1&sub=&tid=&p w - broken link)= (just scroll down)

Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

If I had a dollar for every time a "Westerner" (i.e. Albertan) accused the "East" (i.e. Ontario/Quebec) of being crime infested due to the high number of immigrants (i.e. of the non-white variety) I'd be a rich man!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Toronto - Alexandra Park Neighbourhood..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Park,_Toronto

Alexandra Park is often known for having one of the largest African-Canadian communities in Toronto, people of African-American ancestry are still evident in this neighbourhood. In the ‘70s and ‘80s, there were racial tensions between the established Polish and Ukrainian immigrants and the new immigrants. An infamous African-Canadian gang called the Project Originals emerged. Drugs and violence were a huge problem, during this time a crack epidemic swept the area. In the early ‘90s, a group of Alexandra Park residents sought to convert the government housing complex to self-governing co-operative housing, in order to attempt to make a difference in the struggling community in an effort to stop the opression and drug wars the project had been facing for many decades previous. Today Alexandra Park is recovering from its harsh battles in the past, and making an effort to turn a new leaf. The Black population is amongst one of the highest in the city, at 23.6%

Old 06-12-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Toronto - Alexandra Park Neighbourhood..

Alexandra Park, Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alexandra Park is often known for having one of the largest African-Canadian communities in Toronto, people of African-American ancestry are still evident in this neighbourhood. In the ‘70s and ‘80s, there were racial tensions between the established Polish and Ukrainian immigrants and the new immigrants. An infamous African-Canadian gang called the Project Originals emerged. Drugs and violence were a huge problem, during this time a crack epidemic swept the area. In the early ‘90s, a group of Alexandra Park residents sought to convert the government housing complex to self-governing co-operative housing, in order to attempt to make a difference in the struggling community in an effort to stop the opression and drug wars the project had been facing for many decades previous. Today Alexandra Park is recovering from its harsh battles in the past, and making an effort to turn a new leaf. The Black population is amongst one of the highest in the city, at 23.6%
Interesting and I've never heard of this part of Toronto. What side of the city is it on or is it in one of the newly amalgamated communities like York, North York or Scarborough?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting and I've never heard of this part of Toronto. What side of the city is it on or is it in one of the newly amalgamated communities like York, North York or Scarborough?
Its right downtown, near Kensington Market. Bounded by Dundas (North); Spadina (East); Queen (South); Bathurst (West)

The dudes who live around there call it "P.O" (Project Original)

My old favorite Lao restaurant in the city used to be there as well (Ban Vanipha) really sucked when they closed down.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 PM

366 posts, read 1,185,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Its right downtown, near Kensington Market. Bounded by Dundas (North); Spadina (East); Queen (South); Bathurst (West)

My old favorite Lao restaurant in the city used to be there as well (Ban Vanipha) really sucked when they closed down.

Alex Park doesn't even have a bad rep anymore... the original brown bricks!
However, I did see a security guard (remember 'intelliguard'?) get thump'd down while trying to issue trespassing summons to a couple guys back in '96!

Matt - Remember when the only ice coffee you could in the city was in Vietnamese Pho spots? I used to love Chinatown back in those days...

Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post

What I thought was interesting is that they say that Alex Park is one of the Toronto neighbourhoods where people of African-American ancestry is still present. Are there any others in Toronto that have such a presence? Besides the Black communities in the Maritimes, Southern Ontario and maybe Edmonton, are there any others in the country like that?

Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
There are many communities specifically in Southwestern Ontario, (Windsor), the Niagara area, and in Montreal, not too sure about western Canada though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada