Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 50,999 times

Advertisements

1. Your right the kentucky Derby was May 1st, Preakness was May 15th Sorry I don't know much about horse racing. My father won the race and was very excited.
2. Yes, there was a big misunderstanding. Moderator cut: not allowed should not have exceptted my father into Hospice. Moderator cut: not allowed said they made a mistake and would change their admission policy.
3. The Internal Investigation at Moderator cut: not allowed found there was no instructions to Moderator cut: not allowed from any doctors. Moderator cut: not allowed had no certification letter of terminal illness. That's exactly what the problem was.
4. Moderator cut: not allowed regulations say they contact the attending physician to discuss the treatment.
5. Moderator cut: not allowed told us they were in charge of my father's care.
6. If you took the time to read what I wrote. My father's Oncologist said he didn't know my father went to Moderator cut: not allowed
8. My father is home with my mother and has no pain it's been 8 months, As soon as they did the radiation his pain was gone. He still is in active chemo. He gained 9 pounds last check up.
9. Give Moderator cut: not allowed
I want people to question Hospice that's the point. Why do you think I'm so upset. You said take it up with my father's doctor. My father's doctor never sent him to Moderator cut: not allowed do you understand. My father was in active chemo treatments.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I still say it all goes back to that first nurse who took it upon herself to get him into hospice WITHOUT his doctors orders or anybody's orders but her own. I would like to know if she has done this before and if so, to how many others who didn't have families that were as insistant as you were.. I really think the law should be brought in to investigate HER and has she done this before?

Someone (I guess the head person) at hospice also dropped the ball by not checking his doctors orders for him to be sent there were in order. SOMEONE should have noticed that order was NOT in his file!

My main question's is HOW did that woman (nurse) pull that off and has she done this before? (..and what made her target your Dad?)

Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
This is definitely something that should be taken up with your father's doctor. I can't begin to tell you how difficult it can be to GET someone on hospice, especially without a doctor's willingness to commit to a definitive opinion on his "time left". As for agressive pain management, especially in patients who are terminally ill and in uncontrollable pain, hospice is where you want your loved one to be. I realize that you are angry about your father's condition....hopefully, any child would be concerned, but it IS possible that the staff, who were taking care of your father 24/7, were far more "in-tune" with indications of your father's pain than you were. You said his cancer was in his bones? I can't begin to tell you the pain some of these poor people suffer.

Again, if your father was not eligible for hospice, it was his doctor who dropped the ball. Also, the fact that he remains alive could simply be a "miracle?" Generally, by the time cancer moves into the bones, especially in an elderly patient, they ARE terminal. In the bones is NOT where you want that cancer to have progressed. My heart does go out to you, but creating huge waves, possibly due to your family's denial of his medical condition, is not the way to go here. People who do that simply make it more difficult for organizations, such as hospice, to make those who ARE dying, more comfortable and make it even more difficult for doctors to be willing to sign off on "terminal" diagnoses! I have seen it!......many times. I have taken care of elderly patients who are left in long-term care facilites, people you KNOW have less than 6 months to live.....paying $7,000 + per month, waiting to die.....receiving insufficient pain coverage because family members do NOT want their loved one "doped up"! They pop in MAYBE once a day, always looking to find fault, do NOT see the pain their loved one was in BEFORE they received their medication......and ASSUME that their loved one has been in this "drugged up" state all day!!

It's sick! You can't imagine how many times myself and others have wanted to file law suits on family members.....because they have the POA and threaten a lawsuit IF the facility gives their loved one more than a Tylenol for pain....UNLESS they contact the family member (at work or at home), and ask THEIR permission to give their loved one something for pain! The family members are not THERE! They do not hear the patient's declaration of pain....do not observe the physical signs of pain! Again, I know you're hurting and maybe......just MAYBE, someone is at fault here, or maybe you and your family are simply in denial and do not understand pain.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I still say it all goes back to that first nurse who took it upon herself to get him into hospice WITHOUT his doctors orders or anybody's orders but her own. I would like to know if she has done this before and if so, to how many others who didn't have families that were as insistant as you were.. I really think the law should be brought in to investigate HER and has she done this before?

Someone (I guess the head person) at hospice also dropped the ball by not checking his doctors orders for him to be sent there were in order. SOMEONE should have noticed that order was NOT in his file!

My main question's is HOW did that woman (nurse) pull that off and has she done this before? (..and what made her target your Dad?)
That is the real question! Seriously, because it can take almost an "act of God", to get a person into hospice. How someone illegally ended up there, is beyond me. I can't tell you how desperate some families are to keep their loved one pain free, frustrated because they can't get their loved on on hospice....because there is so much red tape involved, and yet this man ends up on Hospice without a doctor's signature!?

Trust me.....it is not terribly uncommon for a doctor to give a verbal telephone order to a nurse, and then have the doctor "forget" to come in and sign an order.....then deny ever having given it to start with. It's called CYOA!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM

I really don't know who dropped the ball. You have to remember the following information.
1. The Moderator cut: not allowed nurse admitted my father for pain Management. NEVER was it written in any of the summary notes that my father was terminal or that he was there for terminal end of life care.
2. My father was never told he was terminal and we were never told this because he wasn't terminal.
3. Moderator cut: not allowed signed my fathers paper as terminal otherwise I believe you can not be paid by Medicare.
4.Moderator cut: not allowed has no paper work from ANYONE that he was terminal. The reason is because he was not terminal.
3 The summary notes everyday states patient is here for pain management. Because everyday I visited, I made sure the nurse knew why we were there.
4. The day Moderator cut: not allowed hooked my father up to the PCA Morphine pump. I called the nurse that put him in there. I asked her why do they have my father connected to a Morphine pump. She said " Maybe it's a little over kill"
5. We are not in Denial, my father has had a complete head to toe bone scan,cat scan,Pet scan,MRI. He has no cancer in his liver,heart,kidneys, no swollen lymph notes any soft tissues lungs are clear. All his blood counts are in the normal ranges.
6. My father is home with my mother and is not on any pain medication. He has not been on any pain medication since the radiation was done.
7. My father's Radiation Doctor said he would not have any pain after the radiation and he doesn't
8. My father has NEVER had diapers on again since leaving hospice, he walks to the bathroom.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmaryb View Post
I really don't know who dropped the ball. You have to remember the following information.
1. Moderator cut: too much editing, quote is now not correct 6. My father is home with my mother and is not on any pain medication. He has not been on any pain medication since the radiation was done.
7. My father's Radiation Doctor said he would not have any pain after the radiation and he doesn't
8. My father has NEVER had diapers on again since leaving hospice, he walks to the bathroom.
Please make something clear. What kind of facility was your father in? Here in my state, "hospice" manages patients' cases in many settings. Hospice might have patients at home, in hospitals, in LTC, at rehabilitation facilities, etc. Was your father put into a "rehab" facility and under "hospice" care by a nurse in the facility? Look also, WHO wrote the prescriptions for your father's pain meds? A physician, or otherwise certified person HAD to have written the prescriptions. Do you understand what I'm saying?! The nurses, OR hospice, require a prescription, and in fact, a pharmacy will NOT deliver or authorize removal of narcotics from a facility's E-kit, withOUT a doctor's prescription! As for the PCA pump, you better BELIEVE there was a bonifide doctor's prescription for that thing. No nurse, is going to hook up ANYONE, or even CAN have access to that stuff without a doctor's prescription.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No one in the family even talked to the doctor is what surprised me with such a move.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Please make something clear. What kind of facility was your father in? Here in my state, "hospice" manages patients' cases in many settings. Hospice might have patients at home, in hospitals, in LTC, at rehabilitation facilities, etc. Was your father put into a "rehab" facility and under "hospice" care by a nurse in the facility? Look also, WHO wrote the prescriptions for your father's pain meds? A physician, or otherwise certified person HAD to have written the prescriptions. Do you understand what I'm saying?! The nurses, OR hospice, require a prescription, and in fact, a pharmacy will NOT deliver or authorize removal of narcotics from a facility's E-kit, withOUT a doctor's prescription! As for the PCA pump, you better BELIEVE there was a bonifide doctor's prescription for that thing. No nurse, is going to hook up ANYONE, or even CAN have access to that stuff without a doctor's prescription.
The Moderator cut: not allowed my father went to is a huge building over looking the sound. The value of the building and land is $20 million dollars according to the town asscessors card it's 56,000 sq feet of living area,52 beds it has a beautiful built in pool. There never seems to be a problem for admission. I have never heard of a waiting list at Moderator cut: not allowed . You can visit the site at Hospice.com
When my father was there he was in a room for 4 people within the 1 1/2 weeks he was there four people died in his room. That's only 1 room remember there are 52 beds. The turn over rate is very quick.
As far as the perscription they have their own pharmacy in the building. When they write their Pharmacy orders it could be in 3 different locations for paper work. Sometimes the Dr writes it in his summary notes or other times it's on the medication sheet or the PCA pump sheet. All notes are hand written and most time you can not read them.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
beachmel, I'm familiar with the facility the OP is talking about. It's an actual Hospice building. It's not an adjunct to something else. It's not a "hospice facility." It's a facility CALLED Hospice. It is the first of its kind in the country. It is, very literally, a place people go to die. It provides end-of-life care. Just as hospitals are a place people go, hopefully to get better, Hospice is a place people who are terminal, with only a few hours, days, or weeks left to live, will go to die in as little pain and as much comfort as medically possible. That's why patients there are dosed up to the 9's. That is the primary function of Hospice. Without all the pain meds, the patient would spend whatever is left of their lives in horrible agony. This is where people go when recovery is not an option and death is imminent. Hospice workers are a very rare breed; their jobs are to ease peoples' deaths.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM

[quote=AnonChick;17438452]Moderator cut: edited quote, not correct now quote]

Anon, see, I'm not familiar with the "facility" Moderator cut: not allowed . I have cared for many patients who are "on hospice", being one who was under the orders to administer whatever was ordered in order to keep the person as comfortable as possible. I guess that's why blows my mind about this situation.....how he ended up in in an "end of life" facility, for simple, short-term pain management, is mind blowing!

Anon, I have no problem doing hospice care...in fact, it really is a calling. What is better than being with a client and their family, when they are going through such an important and terrifying event? Comforting those who truly need comfort...being a reassurance for them, being their strength when the need it the most...having a family see that their loved one is NOT a number or thing, but rather someone who is so very precious to the caregiver.....that is an honor which few of us get to share.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving