Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I cannot tell you how helpful this info has been. I am working on some research on resources to assist with seniors aging "in place," amd family members who are assisting in their daily care.

Finding out what is available is a state by state search, and having access to this federal program is very helpful, indeed. I am finding that it is not easy to uncover these resources.

Thank you again for posting your experiences.
Please share what you find. I will, too.

—NEg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,540,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I cannot tell you how helpful this info has been. I am working on some research on resources to assist with seniors aging "in place," and family members who are assisting in their daily care.

Finding out what is available is a state by state search, and having access to this federal program is very helpful, indeed. I am finding that it is not easy to uncover these resources.

Thank you again for posting your experiences.
I'm just paying it forward; my husband's cousin is the one who alerted us to it. His mother and father both had to go into Assisted Living at the same time so you can imagine the expense. Since his dad was a vet, he started digging and found out about the Aid and Attendance program.

However, he didn't know about the in-home caregiver reimbursement. It was the VA rep who told my husband about that, when my husband contacted him to make sure we had all our ducks in a row for when MIL needs to go into AL.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
I urge anyone reading this....if you know of a veteran that may be eligible for either of these programs, please call the VA, do research online, be persistent until you get an answer. I know there are thousands out there that will qualify and have no clue that these programs exist. They can be a godsend to so many who are qualified and in need of additional help.
Deepest condolences on the loss of your husband, and I'm sorry for all you had to go through. It's inexcusable.

Reminds me of my favorite West Wing episode ever: Toby, the President's aide, does everything he can to give a deceased homeless vet a full honors dignified funeral and burial at Arlington. The exasperated President chides him and says something like "Are all the other homeless vets going to demand the same level of attention and service?"

To which Toby replies "We can only hope so."

Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 PM

One good resource is eldercare.gov.

If you go to this link Eldercare Locator
and enter your zip code and select Financial Assistance, it returns some potentially useful information.
edit to add: Also got some possibly useful returns when I selected In Home Services and Caregiver.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,849,341 times
I think the main questions in these type of threads is why are families afraid of putting their loved ones in nursing homes?
It does cost a lot,but I think the main reason is the horror stories we hear about the nursing homes from the media making a sensation of the stories. I really want to say the stories are rare,but they aren't. I am an Rn and some nursing homes are depressing,to both be a resident and as a worker.
Of course,Assisted living is better,but its out of reach cost wise to the average person.

I know Nj has a program where instead of putting a loved one in a nursing home,the state reimburses for a home health aide instead. As it turns out,its costing the state less to provide a home health aides. The main problem with that program is that there aren't enough HHa to work.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
One of the things I've seen over the years in ministry, is that 'caregivers,' particularly those caring for people with dimentia or alzheimers ... typically decline in health faster than the people they are caring for. This is another reason why folks should consider LTC insurance or some type of financial strategy beyond, "My spouse/child/other will take care of me at home."

Additionally, as couples grow older, they both tend to grow weaker, have less stamina and be less able to provide the high quality care that a significant illness or injury typically requires.

Folks are living longer and this is a serious problem that really needs to be addressed by every aging person. Consider this, if you really don't have a good answer or solution and aren't sure what you should do .... how can you expect your projected 'family-caregiver' to know? --- Get your paperwork together and have the discussion with your financial planner and your loved ones before the need suddenly arises.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:10 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,409,564 times
Medicaid, that is the State/Federal Medical Health Insurance for the poor (not Medicare), does provide for payments to caregivers for care of eligible Medicaid recipients. It does provide cash payments. A caregiver can be a family member. Each State is different and it is worth checking if you are qualified.

The big purpose of the program is to keep Medicaid eligible out of nursing homes which would cost the state much more.

Livecontent

Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 AM

211 posts, read 402,811 times
It IS exhausting...my parents 80 & 81, mom has multiple myeloma...diagnosed several months ago. She was in the hospital twice in less than a week...ICU for 5 days...dad collapsed from the stress (serious love birds) and was in the ER the same time mom was in ICU. I do all the cooking, cleaning, help with her care, and trips to the oncologist etc....
I've chosen to do this and will continue to do so as long as possible....did I mention it IS exhausting, your life is put on hold, and it's an emotional roller coaster ride. I'm not suggesting a "pat" on the back, just an FYI for those considering this path.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think the main questions in these type of threads is why are families afraid of putting their loved ones in nursing homes?
It does cost a lot,but I think the main reason is the horror stories we hear about the nursing homes from the media making a sensation of the stories. I really want to say the stories are rare,but they aren't. I am an Rn and some nursing homes are depressing,to both be a resident and as a worker.
Of course,Assisted living is better,but its out of reach cost wise to the average person.

I know Nj has a program where instead of putting a loved one in a nursing home,the state reimburses for a home health aide instead. As it turns out,its costing the state less to provide a home health aides. The main problem with that program is that there aren't enough HHa to work.
It does cost the state less--absolutely. That is why I feel states should have programs in place to assist financially--and with other resources -- so those who wish to age in place can do so, without completely grinding the family caregivers into bad health, exhaustion and for many -- financial ruin (wh/ means the surviving spouse will have little or no resources to manage his or her healthcare and living arrangements).

It is such a difficult time, with budgets in the red, to seek increase of resources, but if it can be shown how the money is actually an offset against costs the state would otherwise expend for nursing home care, then it becomes a realistic discussion.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Medicaid, that is the State/Federal Medical Health Insurance for the poor (not Medicare), does provide for payments to caregivers for care of eligible Medicaid recipients. It does provide cash payments. A caregiver can be a family member. Each State is different and it is worth checking if you are qualified.

The big purpose of the program is to keep Medicaid eligible out of nursing homes which would cost the state much more.

Livecontent
Sadly, there is a great disparity in what is available from state to state and even within a state, from community to community. I am thinking it is going to take a grassroots effort --one community at a time, one group of folks at a time, to increase awareness and to open eyes as to how reasonable creation of programs--and state subsidies to assist with in-home care -- would be, over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving