Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 12:31 AM

357 posts, read 222,513 times

Advertisements

You need to apply for a guardianship in court. If your sister has early dementia and sounds like she needs care 24 -7 it will be fairly easy to do. This should give you the ability to make decisions for her financially and medically. If nothing else it will all be documented what is going on in regards to her "caregiver" and I am sure she will not like the State getting involved if she is being shady.
Of course I would wait to do this after your visit with sister - if it does not go well.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:44 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Overthinking it I sense.

Step One: trespassing. Plain and simple. Without a contract of residency the persons can be removed.

This " She gave oral consent means nothing" .

The care givers employment ended technically when the person remained in the hospital . She technically could have applied for unemployment since its been a few month.

Sounds like she is an independent service provider- otherwise report her to the agency she works for.

All the other drama ( Uncle/niece) and Who is driving what is silly. Stick to what can be achieved , one step or violation at a time.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if it looks like the sister is not going to be able to go home,
then sell the house out from under the squatters.

it sounds like the sister even if she is discharged, will need a higher level of care, and is not able to take care of 3 bedroom home, without being vulnerable to being taken advantage of.

why not look for a residential care facility for her to live in, if and when she is released from the rehab? maybe one that is closer to you.

and get those people kicked out of the house altogether.
if you are comfortable having the caregiver still have contact with her, then have her do something like visit her in the nursing home, take her on walks, or pay her to spend time with your sister reading or wtaching TV together or just visiting.

that way she can still maintain the friendship, the caregiver can still earn some kind of income, and the family is not in the picture, because the house is sold out from under them. they can hardly all move into the nursing home, and there are staff there that will look out for her being abused or taken advantage of.

also, if sister's getting dementia, there is a chance the caregiver already has or may be planning to get the sister to sign something giving her the house. definitely consult an elder care attorney, and also find a social worker with the county or city and ask about elder abuse. Taking advantage of someone financially is a form of elder abuse.

My bet is the caregiver has already gotten the sister to sign the house over to her with a quitclaim deed or an outright grant deed that she asked the sister to sign without explaining it to her. That's why she called the paramedics to take her to the hospital--so she could get the sister out and her family in there. This is going to have to end up in court. The OP will have to serve the caregiver with a subpoena to get this in front of the legal system.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:40 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Overthinking it I sense.

Step One: trespassing. Plain and simple. Without a contract of residency the persons can be removed.

This " She gave oral consent means nothing" .

The care givers employment ended technically when the person remained in the hospital . She technically could have applied for unemployment since its been a few month.

Sounds like she is an independent service provider- otherwise report her to the agency she works for.

All the other drama ( Uncle/niece) and Who is driving what is silly. Stick to what can be achieved , one step or violation at a time.

Evidently the police don't believe these people are trespassing. They have been called about the situation.

Uncle/niece is not simple "drama" -- it pertains to motive for taking funds.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:53 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Evidently the police don't believe these people are trespassing. They have been called about the situation.

Uncle/niece is not simple "drama" -- it pertains to motive for taking funds.

The police don't care. Paperwork they'd rather avoid. Call the Sheriff. They're the ones that handle evictions.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:35 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I think it's very possible that the sister actually does plan to leave her home to her caregiver and not the OP. And she can do that if she wants. They may have talked about this for a long time.

I'm wavering now on whether the OP should push anything after not having a good relationship these past few years.

Hoping the discussion with the sister and OP sheds some clarity on things.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:35 PM

46 posts, read 60,350 times
I am sending this letter to my sister priority mail with the pictures of the cars and statements from her neighbors.

Sis,

Do you know why you are in the hospital right now? Because Maureen put you in here. The reason she told me she took you to the hospital was to get your arm amputated. I think she made the whole thing up to get you out of the house.

Now she is being rewarded now that you are gone by moving family in and fixing the house up for her.

You have to stop agreeing to everything she says, You are so afraid of losing her. She won’t be taking care of you anymore because you're not going back home, sorry. She is a scam artist and is lying to you to get your house.

She is fixing your whole house up on your money and has already moved in her family in your house. They are living there for free. Of course, Maureen tells you she loves you. Because that is what a scam artist does. She has had this planned for a long time.

You know she has been filling up your backyard with her stuff. Your living room furniture is out there now. You can’t even see the pool for all the stuff in the backyard. She has filled your garage with her things. She is having new appliances delivered next week and you are paying for all of it.

I am not lying to you. You have got to start thinking about all the lies she tells you. Of course, that woman was doing everything you told her to do. Look how much money you are paying her. She makes more than we did at the post office.

When I visit you you tell me she is always in the backyard and when she runs an errand for you she is gone for hours. She is not spending time with you she is trying to get the house ready for herself. Why did she spend all that time on the fence? You can’t even see it. You have already put your car in her name. It is so filthy and full of papers and trash. It has not been in the garage since you have been in the hospital.

I know you don’t want to hear all of this and it hurts but it is the truth. Also, her husband is ALIVE. Maureen knows you are not coming home and she has taken over everything. Did you leave the house to her? I hope not she will end up losing it. She and her husband have already lost three homes.

Not too long ago Maureen told me you owed 400,000 on the house. Why does she know that information? She also has access to your banking. She knows what Robyn got away with and is probably doing the same thing to you. She doesn’t even need you to sign checks. She has your stamp.

I got statements from your neighbor Peter next door and 
Sandy in the back. They both thought a new family moved in and those cars have been there for two months. Plus they both saw an elderly man there.

Please believe me. Don’t let her get away with this. I have never been so sure about anything but this is what she is doing to you. Why would I lie? I am not looking out to get anything from you.

I really didn’t want to believe this was true. I thought of her as part of the family. This is what scam artists do. They gain your trust and take you everything you own. I know it hurts and I am always here for you with the truth. Love your sister Sandy

Old 10-20-2021, 01:49 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlakes333 View Post
I am sending this letter to my sister priority mail with the pictures of the cars and statements from her neighbors.

Sis,

Do you know why you are in the hospital right now? Because Maureen put you in here. The reason she told me she took you to the hospital was to get your arm amputated. I think she made the whole thing up to get you out of the house.

Now she is being rewarded now that you are gone by moving family in and fixing the house up for her.

You have to stop agreeing to everything she says, You are so afraid of losing her. She won’t be taking care of you anymore because you're not going back home, sorry. She is a scam artist and is lying to you to get your house.

She is fixing your whole house up on your money and has already moved in her family in your house. They are living there for free. Of course, Maureen tells you she loves you. Because that is what a scam artist does. She has had this planned for a long time.

You know she has been filling up your backyard with her stuff. Your living room furniture is out there now. You can’t even see the pool for all the stuff in the backyard. She has filled your garage with her things. She is having new appliances delivered next week and you are paying for all of it.

I am not lying to you. You have got to start thinking about all the lies she tells you. Of course, that woman was doing everything you told her to do. Look how much money you are paying her. She makes more than we did at the post office.

When I visit you you tell me she is always in the backyard and when she runs an errand for you she is gone for hours. She is not spending time with you she is trying to get the house ready for herself. Why did she spend all that time on the fence? You can’t even see it. You have already put your car in her name. It is so filthy and full of papers and trash. It has not been in the garage since you have been in the hospital.

I know you don’t want to hear all of this and it hurts but it is the truth. Also, her husband is ALIVE. Maureen knows you are not coming home and she has taken over everything. Did you leave the house to her? I hope not she will end up losing it. She and her husband have already lost three homes.

Not too long ago Maureen told me you owed 400,000 on the house. Why does she know that information? She also has access to your banking. She knows what Robyn got away with and is probably doing the same thing to you. She doesn’t even need you to sign checks. She has your stamp.

I got statements from your neighbor Peter next door and 
Sandy in the back. They both thought a new family moved in and those cars have been there for two months. Plus they both saw an elderly man there.

Please believe me. Don’t let her get away with this. I have never been so sure about anything but this is what she is doing to you. Why would I lie? I am not looking out to get anything from you.

I really didn’t want to believe this was true. I thought of her as part of the family. This is what scam artists do. They gain your trust and take you everything you own. I know it hurts and I am always here for you with the truth. Love your sister Sandy
Obviously we don't know the level of your sister's cognition but do you really think she'll understand this rather rambling letter? Some of it is hard to follow. Better have someone edit/simplify before you send it.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:28 PM

Where was I rambling? Help me out here

Old 10-20-2021, 06:29 PM

never mind. I think I give up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving