Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 06:38 PM

6,876 posts, read 4,877,055 times

Advertisements

I didn't find it rambling, but...... If she has dementia, will she understand? Do you know that she hasn't already signed the house over?

I think showing the pictures is good. Especially if you can get pics of her furniture in the back yard

Old 10-20-2021, 07:10 PM

733 posts, read 469,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlakes333 View Post
Where was I rambling? Help me out here
I didn’t think your letter was “rambling” or “hard to follow” at all. I think you made your point very clear. It’s up to you now if you want to send it or not.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:09 PM

22,232 posts, read 19,238,916 times
photos would have more direct impact.
since already OP has said the sister "doesn't believe" what she tells her.

it's really sad.
if she's signed the car over to the caregiver, and the caregiver has access to her funds and banking, then it sounds like she may already have the deed to the house.

can the caregiver pay off the $400,000 loan, or make house payments? Maybe let the house go into foreclosure.
or is there enough in the sister's funds, which apparently the caregiver has access to, to pay off the house?

why not move her into an expensive really really really nice care facility, and have her funds go to pay for that for the sister's direct care. and let the house go into foreclosure?

Old 10-20-2021, 08:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
People telling the OP to do this or that don't seem to realize that the OP can't do anything unless and until the sister is declared incompetent and the OP is named her guardian in a court of law. There also seem to be a lot of assumptions being made about what the sister may or may not have done legally for this caregiver in terms of signing things over to her.

Best advice is to consult an attorney (the OP's; not the sister's) and report back to us!

Old 10-20-2021, 08:56 PM

46 posts, read 60,386 times
Thank you for your support. I really don't know where else to turn. I think this letter could be my last hope. I just hate the thought of someone using my sister like this.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:07 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Thank you for your support. I really don't know where else to turn. I think this letter could be my last hope. I just hate the thought of someone using my sister like this.
I do think you should take some photos and include those with the letter. They might have a greater impact.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:20 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
OP, did you ever contact your sister's attorney? Forgive me if you mentioned this already.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:54 PM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Evidently the police don't believe these people are trespassing. They have been called about the situation.

Uncle/niece is not simple "drama" -- it pertains to motive for taking funds.
It's California. I heard of a homeowner who put her house up for sale and held an open house. On the day of the open house, a homeless guy dragged a mattress into her driveway, laid down it and refused to leave. She called the cops, the city, anyone who would listen and they told her that they would be out in a few weeks. So basically she had to deal with a homeless guy living in her driveway.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:32 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
I am sending this letter to my sister priority mail with the pictures of the cars and statements from her neighbors...
Whatever you send, are you requiring delivery only to your sister, i.e. restricted delivery, with return receipt required, so that her signature will be on the receipt? Will you recognize your sister's signature? Then, how will you follow up? Will you call your sister? Will you visit her? Will you offer to help her?

Old 10-21-2021, 03:20 AM

22,232 posts, read 19,238,916 times
It seems like a family member (the OP) could take steps to have the sister declared incompetent and have the court set up a "conservator" or whatever it's called when someone is legally appointed by the court to handle funds, to avoid financial abuse and theft by those who would take advantage of them financially (caregiver).

A conservatorship is a court case where a judge appoints a responsible person or organization (called the “conservator”) to care for another adult (called the “conservatee”) who cannot care for himself or herself or manage his or her own finances.

when i worked for a time with social workers, they helped facilitate that process for people who were elderly or vulnerable in other ways, who would, say, meet someone in the laundromat, and start giving money "to their new friend" and the "new friend" comes to "stay with them for a few days" and won't move out. the "new friend" brings their friends to live also, they are say doing drugs, the person then faces eviction and legal proceedings to be removed from their own house or apartment because the landlord gets complaints and they are breaking the terms of their lease or rental agreement. these "new friends" are very savvy regarding the law. social workers have described going over there and the squatters refuse to leave and quote the exact code of the law that prohibits them from being removed, because they have lived there for x amount of time, and have started using the address to receive mail and it is now their legal address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving