Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 07:38 AM

218 posts, read 214,058 times

Advertisements

I have an aunt that my wife and I took in under our roof about 2 years ago. She was diagnosed with chronic depression years ago. My uncle always took care of everything for her, he passed away a little over a decade ago. We've done our best to help her establish independence. However, over time she's been declining. She's asked repeatedly to get a car, yet she's going blind in one eye. She has stopped showering everyday, stopped brushing her teeth (which I think has now caused an infection that can be smelt from 5 feet away), she limits her eating unless one of us cooks for her, she doesn't clean unless you make it an issue, she's stopped taking her medication (seems to hoard it). On top of that I went in her room the other day (with her permission) to show her how to work the AC unit (again), and there is junk everywhere. Literally everywhere. It's like a labyrinth of just random stuff from decades ago to now piled throughout the room. Most of the things she's bought this year are still in bags and hasn't been touched. She caught the Flu last week so we took her to the doctor. She brought with her medications from 8-10 years ago and asked them to refill them. They were already full, but I'm sure that are considered expired. I don't know how to approach her about all this. My wife thinks we should have her evaluated for being mentally incompetent. I'm looking for recommendations on how to speak with her about this because my way of doing things can be a bit abrasive. We have a toddler and 6 month old in the house so there's concern there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 09:07 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
If she's declared incompetent, now what?

You may be better off looking for some care facility that is capable of actually caring for her or in-home care. This doesn't sound like just being unable to make sound judgements about one's affairs; it sounds like a collapse of caring for oneself.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:50 AM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
...my way of doing things can be a bit abrasive.
You are very generous for taking her in. Abrasiveness aside, more importantly you need an understanding of what you will be talking about. I'm confused about what you want to tell her, sounds like you are too. Where did the idea of declaring her incompetent even come from? Do you want her to be forced to do something?

As an elder law attorney once told me, people are perfectly entitled to make poor decisions. The court will only step in if she needs to be protected somehow.

I have gone through the process of declaring my SIL incompetent. Obviously, it will cost money. In a nutshell, you will need an attorney to petition the court for someone to be guardian. And she is entitled to an attorney to defend herself. The court goes by professional evaluations. Many professionals do not like doing these evaluations. The court does not like taking away someone's rights, but they will, if necessary, and appoint a financial and/or medical guardian. One guardian can do both.

In my case, my SIL's daughter wanted me to be guardian. I didn't really want to, but agreed to help, so that's how we filed the petition. Fortunately, after filing the petition, our attorney recommended that we request a professional guardian instead, and the daughter agreed.

In the end, the guardian takes over almost all of the ward's rights and decisions in life. And the court monitors the guardian. My SIL has dementia, and didn't really understand what was going on, so she did not complain.

Last edited by akrausz; 06-14-2022 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-14-2022, 12:35 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
*snip*
I don't know how to approach her about all this. My wife thinks we should have her evaluated for being mentally incompetent. I'm looking for recommendations on how to speak with her about this because my way of doing things can be a bit abrasive. We have a toddler and 6 month old in the house so there's concern there.
I’m not sure the aunt would be receptive to being told you want her to have a mental evaluation. That would be a scary thing to hear. A better approach would be to express concern for her overall well being (e.g. rotting teeth, expired medications) and try to persuade her to go, with your wife in attendance, for a thorough medical examination (which you have arranged to include a mental evaluation).

I used to drive my mother to her medical appointments and stay in the waiting room. It finally occurred to me that I should go in with her to hear what the doctor had to say first hand and ask questions, instead of simply relying on my mother’s faltering memory of what he told her. I should have done it sooner.

You say the aunt is going blind in one eye. Could it be cataracts? If so, that can be fixed.

I’m a Canadian so I can’t speak to how things work in the US. For what it’s worth: I was with my mother during one of her routine medical appointments. I can’t specifically remember what I told the doctor but the result was that a social worker with the health authority contacted me and set an appointment to visit my home (my mother was living with me at the time). She toured the home, noting potential problems (e.g. upstairs bedroom, with railing only on one side of the staircase). She also administered a simple dementia test which took about 15-20 minutes. The woman returned a couple of weeks later and presented a number of options for consideration, with information on each. That was very useful as I was unaware of most of the options, as was my mother.

This might be a good place to start: https://www.hhs.gov/aging/index.html

Old 06-14-2022, 02:23 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
You are very generous for taking her in. Abrasiveness aside, more importantly you need an understanding of what you will be talking about. I'm confused about what you want to tell her, sounds like you are too. Where did the idea of declaring her incompetent even come from? Do you want her to be forced to do something?

As an elder law attorney once told me, people are perfectly entitled to make poor decisions. The court will only step in if she needs to be protected somehow.
This. Some of the behaviors you mentioned OP may not be pleasant to witness but they don't necessarily indicate legal incompetence. She can choose to ignore her dental hygiene or cleaning her room...people do both. Not everyone showers every single day either. That's personal preference, not necessity.

There are a number of people who've lost vision in one eye but drive quite well in spite of it. One of my parents did for a number of years. She would need to pass a vision test by the DMV before getting licensed so that could settle the question about her abilities and that's news that does not come from you. Consider this...the ability to get out of the house on her own might improve her state of mind which could influence other aspects of her daily living.

Taking everything together (especially the meds) sure, it is concerning but a comprehensive health exam might uncover a much simpler solution than legal competency...such as adjusting her meds.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-14-2022 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-14-2022, 05:57 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Considering there are children in the house, and they deserve to be put first, I would call Adult Protective Services and make a report of "Adult in need of care." It is a government agency, and they are generally very familiar with issues like you are describing.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:06 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Considering there are children in the house, and they deserve to be put first, I would call Adult Protective Services and make a report of "Adult in need of care." It is a government agency, and they are generally very familiar with issues like you are describing.
This ^^^. My sister is in Assisted living on Medicaid, she has just gotten a formal diagnosis of dementia; her case worker has gotten APS involved for a multitude of reasons and we are waiting for a court date to determine if she will have a guardian. She definitely needs one at this point, sad to say.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:12 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,698 times
Yep, I wouldn’t want someone like that in my house with my kids. I’d tell her to clean her room, shower, brush her teeth, and act like she didn’t want to be banished to the realms of social services

Old 06-22-2022, 06:59 AM

900 posts, read 684,804 times
I would urge you to go with her to the doctor for a checkup and present what you are seeing. It sounds like she is becoming incapacitated. It would be good to figure it out sooner rather than later.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:33 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
My dad was like that on his slide into dementia. We tried to have my dad mentally evaluated and he walked out of the doctor's office.

I spoke with an attorney, and have someone declared incompetent is a long, hard, slog, and then you need to deal with the consequences if they are declared incompetent (will you be the legal guardian?). As mentioned above, people are allowed to make poor choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving