Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 05:43 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Our sweet baby Molly got her assist from sickness and pain last Friday. I got the number of a pet crematory, that's what we've done with all out other deceased pets. Made a 10am Saturday appointment. Saturday it dawned on me, perhaps Molly was messaging me but I've never had this thought before, that how about taxidermy?

So I called and cancelled the Saturday crematory appointment, tomorrow I'm going to go by a couple of taxidermists. I read up on the procedure, they also freeze dry.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 07:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
I've thought about similar things in the past. In the US (I can't speak to other cultures' reactions) this is like a taboo topic. I think most people find the thought of anything other than cremation or burial gross and unthinkable.

Me, though? Taxidermy of beloved animals has certainly been done in the past. Echoing my 1st paragraph, I think most people who read histories of this sort of thing think it is aberrational. Freeze drying is pretty new, historically. Having a statue made, or a painting, would be less of an aberration to most folks, IMO, but it would still be a little "out there".

Want to know a bit of truth, though? We had a dog once, one of those heart dogs, very intelligent, who died of cancer at either 11 or 13, I forget which. I've often wished I had kept her hide and tanned it, with fur on. She had a marvelous coat - short, but double coated, and her hide could have been very useful for something. But most people would think even THINKING about that is "unthinkable" - or taboo. I've not considered that possibility for others of my dogs or cats, as they didn't have the coat that one had. But it shouldn't be, IMO, "off the table" for consideration.

I will say this, it is a difficult topic.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I've thought about similar things in the past. In the US (I can't speak to other cultures' reactions) this is like a taboo topic. I think most people find the thought of anything other than cremation or burial gross and unthinkable.

Me, though? Taxidermy of beloved animals has certainly been done in the past. Echoing my 1st paragraph, I think most people who read histories of this sort of thing think it is aberrational. Freeze drying is pretty new, historically. Having a statue made, or a painting, would be less of an aberration to most folks, IMO, but it would still be a little "out there".

Want to know a bit of truth, though? We had a dog once, one of those heart dogs, very intelligent, who died of cancer at either 11 or 13, I forget which. I've often wished I had kept her hide and tanned it, with fur on. She had a marvelous coat - short, but double coated, and her hide could have been very useful for something. But most people would think even THINKING about that is "unthinkable" - or taboo. I've not considered that possibility for others of my dogs or cats, as they didn't have the coat that one had. But it shouldn't be, IMO, "off the table" for consideration.

I will say this, it is a difficult topic.
I bought a drop spindle and have been spinning the fur that ends up in my American Eskimo's brush into yarn.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:35 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I have photos of pets that passed. We also got them cremated & the urns returned to us. For me, that was enough. But if you feel the need to do something else, go for it.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:15 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
First of all, my sympathies go out to the OP on the loss of Molly. I've read the other thread, and it is obvious that Molly was a beloved member of your household. Losing a family member is always difficult, and Molly was definitely a part of your family. Again, I'm sorry to hear this news, and please accept my sympathies.

As regards the question in the thread subject line, I think it's up to the individual to do what they think is best for them.

In my own case, I have preferred cremation for my feline friends. A few have been put to sleep at the vet's office, and a few have died at home. In the latter case, a phone call to the vet's has resulted in me taking my friend's remains into the vet's, and in the former, my friend is already there. In both cases, the vet's office makes the necessary arrangements; there is no need for me to visit the crematory. Everything (private or group cremation, urns or boxes, clay impressions of paw pads, etc.) is done through the vet's office. I ask for the ashes to be returned to me.

But all that is my choice--it may not necessarily be yours. You might do a little research into taxidermy, freeze-drying, cremation, and burial; with your vet, with the crematory, with the taxidermist, and so on. In doing so, you will make a choice that feels right for you. And if it feels right, then it is right.

It is a difficult time, especially when such decisions need to be made, but find some to grieve. Molly deserves it.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:14 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Personally, I could not have any replica (taxidermy, etc) of a late cat. It would be too emotionally difficult, or i would expect the cat to "wake up" again when I saw the body. But that's my opinion.

We've had both of our cats euthanized at the vets, and then had the ashes returned to us. We purchased special containers with engraving for the remains. I also put a special toy/momento in the container with the remains. Someday, after I'm gone, I'll ask a relative to sprinkle all of our ashes together somewhere.

I did also have a paw print impression made of our kitties. I also took about a 1/2 teaspoon of remains to have a glass rainbow memorial necklace made by a seller on etsy.

Everyone is different, and you have to choose what's best for you.

Rene

Old 02-02-2023, 01:25 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I had Cookie and Checkers cremated; I have their ashes in little wooden boxes from the crematorium, along with their paw prints. It's all on a shelf with their photos and their collars.

The spouse's cat is buried in the backyard. Over my protests, he built a big cross, painted it black (?), and marked the cat's grave thusly. After my husband died, one of the first cleaning/purging/donating things I did was remove that cross from the lawn; for one thing, it was a pain to mow around. But I did frame a picture of the cat, and display it with the photos of Cookie and Checkers.

I don't think I'd like my cats' bodies preserved via taxidermy, but to each their own. Neither would I criticize someone for doing so.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:59 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I have thousands of pictures and videos and memories, in my head and written. I have fur pulled from the combs used to comb them when they are alive. I have tons and tons of whiskers too, and even a few kitten teeth.

I have no desire for their remains after their precious innocent souls have gone to heaven. When they are set free by euthanasia at the vet, I leave the body with the vet, they have a crematory service which also buries the ashes in a pet cemetery somewhere in another state. The fur I've saved over all the years of the life of the cat is used to make a small stuffed pillow of some sort, using a remnant from the cat's favorite bed or blankie, which I keep. I also keep some of the fur, unstuffed. Fur from the cat when alive.

I don't want fur cut off their bodies after they have died, or paw prints made from their dead paws pressed in ink and then pressed on a piece of paper. I don't want anything dead. I always decline these things and was very upset to recently receive an envelope in the mail from the vet with a paw print in it. There was no note. I can only assume someone did the paw print after I let my old girl go last April, even though I said no I didn't want it done. Someone must have found it when closing out her file and sent it to me.

Everyone has their own way to cope with the loss of a beloved pet.

I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved Molly.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-03-2023 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-03-2023, 05:27 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I have heard that most taxidermist prefer not to "do" pets. That makes a lot of sense, especially in that the customer may just not be happy with the results like they would with a wild animal. I have seen some older pieces that over time do not look so great too.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:35 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Taxidermy, but only if you spend the extra for articulating limbs so you can pose her in various positions (sitting, attack, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats