Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,519,800 times

Advertisements

In 2021 we decided we should get a cat, maybe 2. I found a foster that had 3 cats left to adopt away. 2 siblings, a boy and girl, and one other cat that was from a different littler. Initially I picked the siblings. The foster lady mentioned that the third cat was always playing with the other 2.
As I drove off I felt so bad leaving the 3rd cat alone so I stopped the car , called my husband and told him we needed to adopt the third cat!! He reluctantly said yes.. and added.. you change the box..I called the foster lady and she was excited I wanted to adopted the third cat.
This was the best decision ever.
They going on 3 years old this April . They are super gentle. I have never been bitten. They play together and always sleep together. They are so different personality wise. One of them, the girl loves to sleep with you. The other two not sure much but they always follow you around they wake you up early in the morning making all kinds of noise. And once you are up they go to bed. It's frustrating but I guess that's just how cats are. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 07:27 AM

5,604 posts, read 6,531,686 times
Thank you for your kind heart! These innocents only need love and care. They will return it to their owners tenfold!

My much older sister had a white cat that was always having kittens (in the '60's, before spaying was mainstream). You could find me with the litter, from newborn on, for hours. Love me some babies!

Married man not a cat fan, but a dog person. Got a stray when daughter was 4. That morphed into 4 house cats, two dogs and up to 2 strays we fed and provided shelter for outside. Always got them all fixed. Love me my cats!

Old 01-18-2024, 09:16 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,769,210 times
Shortly after my soon to be spouse moved in we had the "Dog or cat?" question and while I wanted a dog, my future Mrs said a co-worker of hers had a cat and the BF there hated cats & was abusing it. Which pretty much sealed the veridic. So we rescued her cat. That calico cat lived under the sofa for six months, earning the moniker of "Fraidy". Eventually she'd come out but it took a long time for her to accept treats from me. We had that cat for 16 years before she broke a leg and had to be put down.

We've since rescued three senior special needs cats but our latest came to us as a 1 year old tabby. This one had been abandoned with minimal human contact and was almost feral. I felt I needed a whip & chair to tame that beast at times. Eventually I got him to settle down. he prefers the company of my wife and after four years finally lets me live in "his" house.

I still want a dog.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:24 PM

502 posts, read 334,802 times
Growing up, my sister and I were allergic to cats, so we had dogs and parakeets. Decades later, most of my friends had cats and I outgrew my allergies. I still considered myself a dog person.

Then a neighboring family split up a couple of years ago and abandoned their cats. Just left a paper plate with kibble on it. WTF?

Another neighbor and I started to feed them. But she just adopted a dog, so she asked if I could feed the cats. I agreed, not quite sure how much it was going to cost me. So, I would leave a feeder on my porch. But eventually, they wanted to come inside, so now I have two cats!

They sleep inside most nights, hopping on and off my bed. I give them mostly wet food now and just bought a big cat tree for them. Even though it hampers my travel plans, they have enriched my life and I love those purr babies now.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Shortly after my soon to be spouse moved in we had the "Dog or cat?" question and while I wanted a dog, my future Mrs said a co-worker of hers had a cat and the BF there hated cats & was abusing it. Which pretty much sealed the veridic. So we rescued her cat. That calico cat lived under the sofa for six months, earning the moniker of "Fraidy". Eventually she'd come out but it took a long time for her to accept treats from me. We had that cat for 16 years before she broke a leg and had to be put down.

We've since rescued three senior special needs cats but our latest came to us as a 1 year old tabby. This one had been abandoned with minimal human contact and was almost feral. I felt I needed a whip & chair to tame that beast at times. Eventually I got him to settle down. he prefers the company of my wife and after four years finally lets me live in "his" house.

I still want a dog.
I want a dog too but I never owned one and not sure how it would get along with the cats. I don't want to get a dog and then have to return him because they don't get along

Old 01-20-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
Growing up, my sister and I were allergic to cats, so we had dogs and parakeets. Decades later, most of my friends had cats and I outgrew my allergies. I still considered myself a dog person.

Then a neighboring family split up a couple of years ago and abandoned their cats. Just left a paper plate with kibble on it. WTF?

Another neighbor and I started to feed them. But she just adopted a dog, so she asked if I could feed the cats. I agreed, not quite sure how much it was going to cost me. So, I would leave a feeder on my porch. But eventually, they wanted to come inside, so now I have two cats!

They sleep inside most nights, hopping on and off my bed. I give them mostly wet food now and just bought a big cat tree for them. Even though it hampers my travel plans, they have enriched my life and I love those purr babies now.
They have people come to your house and pet sit. Not cheap though. But cats can hang out alone for a couple of days. Also, you can ask you neighbors if you trust them

Old 01-21-2024, 01:45 AM

3,631 posts, read 3,425,428 times
We had cats when I was younger. Not my Dad's preferred pet (he used to train retriever dogs for duck hunting), but he grew to like my sister's and my cats. I liked my cat; she and I just seemed to "click," and she would often seek out my lap, on her own initiative, and purr happily.

Ever since then, I've been a cat guy. Dogs are fine animals, but they are too anxious to please. Cats please because they want to, not because they feel they need to.

Best of all, you don't choose a cat. The cat chooses you. Whether at a shelter, or whatever, if the cat chooses you (and one likely will), then that's the cat you wanted to get. You think you have a choice, but you don't. The cat knows who it wants, and it chooses carefully. This selection by the cat only strengthens the bond between the cat and its eventual owner--er, I mean, the cat's staff. And that bond can be extremely strong. I can attest to that.

People who say that cats are aloof and independent and uncaring, have never been chosen by a cat. People who have been chosen by a cat, know that cats are anything but aloof and independent and uncaring. They become treasured family members.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 01-21-2024 at 01:54 AM..

Old 01-21-2024, 11:03 AM

6,167 posts, read 4,550,869 times
I lived in a building that didn't allow pets - and then they did. I was on the 26th floor and dog-sat for the people down the hall, being a dog person myself.. It made me realize how much I missed having animals in my life, but man, try to walk a dog with that wait for the elevator. So I decided we would try a cat.
I found a picture online of a cat who had spent 3 YEARS in foster care and took her home and it was kismet. The first day she lived with us, she lay on her back on the bed while we adored and admired her like she was our first child. She lapped up the attention and looked so happy. I was warned that while she was affectionate, she wasn't a lap cat, but within the first week, she became one. She sat on the end table while I was watching TV, looking happy to be there and I smiled at her with all the happiness I felt at having her there, and she stretched luxuriously and casually (yeah right) fell into my lap and that was the end for me: I was a cat person from then until death. By the end of the week I was wearing cat earrings and taking cat pictures and telling cat stories and here I still am.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:02 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,484,651 times
Raised around various pets: dogs,cats, little chicks, lizards, ferret,etc.

In those days it was my parents choices.

Wasn't til my late 30's that I longed for a dog. Had him for 17 years. Broke every artery that led to my heart when he passed. I swore no pet ever again. !

Then lo and behold came this weather beaten cat... Staring longingly into our home.
One dish of water and a few treats...led to daily visits by the door.
Finally one night it was hail and winds ..there at the patio sat ,' Pat' the cat
She would do this , come and go at whim . Til about three days before a family vacation she ran in and out of our patio area.
Carrying ...
Kittens!!!
So let's just say this has been her home ever since .
While I have four cats here, I have my favorite as it was the runt and terribly mistreated by Miss Pat.
So My little ' Beans' has sewn up my heart and coddled into it so to speak.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:05 AM

5,604 posts, read 6,531,686 times
Pretty, handsome cat! Thank you for taking him in, caring for him and loving him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats