Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM

119 posts, read 336,963 times

Advertisements

If you had to choose between the two, which area is better? Factor in Safety, Nice area, things to do, convenience, etc. anything helps! Possible apartments, Shady Pines, Edgeview, Presideo, and Wexford Village, which is better?

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I choose neither. Too far from downtown.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM

119 posts, read 336,963 times
If you had to choose one? Also, south hill area is in the equation, Greenbrier apartments. Any input?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Well Teays Valley is further away, but traffic tends to be better plus it is less dense. Cross Lanes has bad traffic and crime is a little more frequent, but it is a lot closer! I would go with Cross Lanes personally because I like being as close to Charleston as possible! It really depends on what you like from a community. Teays Valley is newer homes, growing faster, and more typical suburban feel. While Cross Lanes is older homes (but also has modern ones), is growing too but not as fast, and is more developed feeling. Both have good services available like grocery, retail, fast food, pharmacy, etc...

South Hills is radically different from the other two and is right beside downtown. Traffic can be bad there, but the main problem is the curvy narrow roads that are rough in the winter. It is more upscale in general with some of the state's wealthiest homes. There is nice upscale shopping on Bridge Road, plus there are numerous places where you can get amazing views of the city. It takes a special type of person to live there because its just so different from any other kind of neighborhood you'd find in a city. It is also closer to the bulk of the shopping and dining.

It's basically up to how far away from the city you want to live though.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:00 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Teays Valley is also much closer to the Barboursville Mall, (states larger shopping complex) and closer to Huntingtkn in general. This proximity allows people to utilize both cities (Charleston and Hungington). Which is the case for me and my family. We are in both of those cities so often that both feel like home.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
My first apartment was in Cross Lanes. I stayed out there 2 years then moved to Kanawha City. Cross Lanes is okay if you specifically don't want to live in town. Ditto Teays Valley. For singles, I think it's better to live closer to town. I drove from Cross Lanes Big Tyler Road near Rocky Fork (Rocky Step?) to South Charleston daily. The traffic is heavy, Cross Lanes is congested, and in the winter, you have to same prob as South Hills with the little windy hilly roads and snow and ice. The Interstate is also a pain because they never get on it as soon as the snow starts.

I liked Kanawha City and South Charleston very well. Convenient and easy to get in and out of. South Hills people I know said it really wasn't bad there, either, if you had a SUV or 4WD and even a front wheel drive car was okay.

Anyplace west of Dunbar or Institute starts to add up in miles and also commuting time. Add up the annual miles on a vehicle driving from Teays Valley to Charleston daily, and that is fuel expense and also it wears out your vehicle faster. All of the traffic goes East into Charleston in the AM and west back to Teays Valley in the PM. You have lots of accidents because of sun in your eyes morning, and evening.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:37 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
Cross Lanes has more traffic but closer to every day stores and restaurants. Teays Valley only has a few restaurants, and those aren't very good, but as others have mentioned, Teays Valley puts you in the middle between Charleston and Huntington/Barboursville.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:06 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I choose neither. Too far from downtown.
Poster never said they wanted to be close to downtown. If they dont work in downtown Charleston there is really no reason to go there. It is a factor to consider BUT if they dont care to be close this wont be an issue.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:07 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
My first apartment was in Cross Lanes. I stayed out there 2 years then moved to Kanawha City. Cross Lanes is okay if you specifically don't want to live in town. Ditto Teays Valley. For singles, I think it's better to live closer to town. I drove from Cross Lanes Big Tyler Road near Rocky Fork (Rocky Step?) to South Charleston daily. The traffic is heavy, Cross Lanes is congested, and in the winter, you have to same prob as South Hills with the little windy hilly roads and snow and ice. The Interstate is also a pain because they never get on it as soon as the snow starts.

I liked Kanawha City and South Charleston very well. Convenient and easy to get in and out of. South Hills people I know said it really wasn't bad there, either, if you had a SUV or 4WD and even a front wheel drive car was okay.

Anyplace west of Dunbar or Institute starts to add up in miles and also commuting time. Add up the annual miles on a vehicle driving from Teays Valley to Charleston daily, and that is fuel expense and also it wears out your vehicle faster. All of the traffic goes East into Charleston in the AM and west back to Teays Valley in the PM. You have lots of accidents because of sun in your eyes morning, and evening.
It is always a good idea to have AWD or 4WD in WV regardless of where you live. In the wintertime you wont be sorry.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM

941 posts, read 1,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Teays Valley is also much closer to the Barboursville Mall, (states larger shopping complex) and closer to Huntingtkn in general. This proximity allows people to utilize both cities (Charleston and Hungington). Which is the case for me and my family. We are in both of those cities so often that both feel like home.
I have heard this from many people who live in that area. Lots of people seem to cite this as one of the best perks of Teays Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston