Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times

Advertisements

Push for a dual-anchor building.

Trader Joe's on one side - Costco on the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,647 times
Great idea Atlantagreg! I love me some Costco.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM

941 posts, read 1,357,476 times
Costco is certainly another store that this state needs!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Push for a dual-anchor building.

Trader Joe's on one side - Costco on the other.
Costco is significantly bigger than a Trader Joe's, and I am pretty sure people don't want one of those on the East End. I'd be pro a Costco, but probably in Cross Lanes to balance with the Sam's Club market.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,274 times
didn't know there was not Costco in WV - that's a good store - loved it in Richmond. TJ's? again that's an over-priced hippy- type organic store. Not into that myself, but nothing against those that are.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
didn't know there was not Costco in WV - that's a good store - loved it in Richmond. TJ's? again that's an over-priced hippy- type organic store. Not into that myself, but nothing against those that are.
I agree that Costco would be a nice addition to WV. They are like Sam's but IMO even better.

I would like to see a Sprout's Farmers Market make its way here. They are opening up all over the west. Known for having local, affordable fresh fruits, veggies and other non processed foods.

It seems from everything I've heard, that Trader Joes isn't the end-all and be-all to grocery stores. Just in this thread we have gathered it is mostly over-priced, repackaged name brand foods. Maybe WV'ians would be better suited for another option. Check out Sprouts website and see what you think.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,881,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I agree that Costco would be a nice addition to WV. They are like Sam's but IMO even better.

I would like to see a Sprout's Farmers Market make its way here. They are opening up all over the west. Known for having local, affordable fresh fruits, veggies and other non processed foods.

It seems from everything I've heard, that Trader Joes isn't the end-all and be-all to grocery stores. Just in this thread we have gathered it is mostly over-priced, repackaged name brand foods. Maybe WV'ians would be better suited for another option. Check out Sprouts website and see what you think.
It is not true.

Random people on the internet are not always the best sources of information. Seriously go google about TJ.

Firstly it is not expensive. It is actually cheap for a supermarket. Secondly most of their products are not rebranded items from other supermarkets. I would love to see a source on that. My guess is that statement is made up rumors over the internet.

The issue with TJ is limited selection. The stores are very small. There is not a lot of selection. It doesnt have all the products you could normally find in a grocery store. It mostly has food, and not items like toilet paper or cat liter. It doesnt have common items, the one near me doesnt have lemon or lime juice for instance. When it does have an item the selection is usually limited, often 1-2 brands and 1-2 sizes. Their are exceptions to this, but this mostly holds true.

Most of the products are from TJ. Overall they are of good quality. On average much better than Kroger or Giant Eagle, but not quite whole foods. Some of their products are very good, others are not so good.

TJ also offers REALLY good customer service. For instance when you buy eggs they will open the carton up and check the eggs, and if one egg is not up to standards they will get an employee to get you a new carton. They often have given me free items that were sitting near check out. If you dont like a product you can return it even after opening it for a full refund, and they will just throw it out. Sometimes if you want to try a product they will give you it for free.

They also pay their employees well and give them good benefits.

Anyway the people saying it is rebranded food from other supermarkets but just more expensive are either lying or being ignorant. It is the opposite. Most of the food is unique, it is generally pretty cheap, and the quality is often higher than equivalent quality items from other supermarkets. Their products are also mostly organic per the FDA *organic* label, which doesnt mean it trully is chemical free. Their selection is pretty healthy compared to other supermarkets though. The downside is selection is very limited, and some of their products can be bad. The reason their products are so cheap and good quality is because they own the brand and are supplied exclusively.

TJ tries to create loyal customers who are loyal to their brand by having good service and products.

With that being said TJ is not coming to Charleston or Huntington, or anywhere in WV, anytime soon. A few thousand likes on FB isnt going to get them.

[Here is an article on TJ.](http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news...tune/index.htm)

Also a piece of advice. Just because someone says something on the internet dont assume it is true. Do some research yourself.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,154,088 times
In the article you posted, it says:

"Some of that may be because Trader Joe's business tactics are often very much at odds with its image as the funky shop around the corner that sources its wares from local farms and food artisans. Sometimes it does, but big, well-known companies also make many of Trader Joe's products. Those Trader Joe's pita chips? Made by Stacy's, a division of PepsiCo's (PEP, Fortune 500) Frito-Lay. On the East Coast much of its yogurt is supplied by Danone's Stonyfield Farm."

So it would seem that TJ's does get some of their products from the big food companies. It's in print, in a source you provided so it's hard to disagree.

As I had posted before, TJ's is great if you want the same food offerings from the big companies at a lower price. Nothing wrong with that if that's all you need and more power to you for it. With that said, if the majority of the food being offered at TJ's is the same, other than price, what is the big advantage of shopping at TJ's for those who want healthy, quality food? To me its still a situation of buyer beware.

As for TJ's business model, you gotta admire the way they run their stores, lack of debt and they do treat their employees better than most businesses. There are plenty of businesses that should take notes.

I think we all do our own research based on the things we have encountered someone on the internet stating as the facts and truth.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,881,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
In the article you posted, it says:

"Some of that may be because Trader Joe's business tactics are often very much at odds with its image as the funky shop around the corner that sources its wares from local farms and food artisans. Sometimes it does, but big, well-known companies also make many of Trader Joe's products. Those Trader Joe's pita chips? Made by Stacy's, a division of PepsiCo's (PEP, Fortune 500) Frito-Lay. On the East Coast much of its yogurt is supplied by Danone's Stonyfield Farm."

So it would seem that TJ's does get some of their products from the big food companies. It's in print, in a source you provided so it's hard to disagree.

As I had posted before, TJ's is great if you want the same food offerings from the big companies at a lower price. Nothing wrong with that if that's all you need and more power to you for it. With that said, if the majority of the food being offered at TJ's is the same, other than price, what is the big advantage of shopping at TJ's for those who want healthy, quality food? To me its still a situation of buyer beware.

As for TJ's business model, you gotta admire the way they run their stores, lack of debt and they do treat their employees better than most businesses. There are plenty of businesses that should take notes.

I think we all do our own research based on the things we have encountered someone on the internet stating as the facts and truth.
That quote does not support the statement that most of TJ is rebranded goods. So me where it says MOST. Most implies the majority of their products. Next that doesn't mean they are selling brands that are available in other grocery stores. The case could be that they are getting a unique product from the supplier. For instance let's say we both have dell computers. The statement that, "since they are both dell they mist be exactly the same except for branding," is ignoring differences in hardware, software, and components. So the statement that most of their products are rebranded goods from other supermarkets is incorrect and misleading. If you have proof otherwise please share it. If you can't do this your statement is refuted.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM

708 posts, read 1,158,039 times
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49784469,d.dmg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston