Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 26,664 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am being relocated to Charleston for work. I've been to the city on several occasions, but have not been given a whole lot of time to find a place to live. So, I am trying to do some research online.

I've decided to rent because it's likely I'll be in Charleston for a short time, and have had a helluva tricky time getting out of the house I own in my current city.

Trying to find apartment information for Charleston online is... challenging. Especially with a dog. But I have found a few communities with websites, and am wondering if anyone on this forum has any personal insight or experience they can share:

Stratford Apartment Homes
Charleston Center Village
Hickory Hills Apartments

The common thread between these is that they allow dogs and have W/D hookups. I'm also trying to find something that a big moving truck can access relatively easily... and am attempting to do a lot of this online, site unseen. Woohoo!

Thanks in advance for your opinions, those of you who are familiar with any of these places!

Last edited by devnull; 02-24-2008 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: My hyperlinks were all jacked up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
I grew up in Charleston and still have family and friends there so I know the area well. I am not familiar with Stratford Apartments however I do know exactly where Hickory Hills and Charleston Center Village are located.

Hickory Hills is located in the "affluent" South Hills section of Charleston. Although the complex isn't located in the most glamorous part of S. Hills it is safe and VERY convenient to downtown (we're talking five minutes max) along with the big box shopping/dining mecca of Southridge which is about 4 miles in the opposite direction. South Hills also has a very small but quaint village district with a couple restaurants and some overpriced clothing boutiques.

Charleston Center Village is located downtown across from the Civic Center and Town Center mall which is rather nice for a place of Charleston's size. There are several restaurants at the mall such as Outback Steakhouse, Bennigans, the Chop House and my absolute favorite restaurant in Charleston, TIDEWATER. Park Place Stadium cinema is right down the street if you want to catch a movie, I always went there growing up. The complex is probably a 15 minute walk to Capitol Street which is the main hub of downtown with regards to bars, restaurants and a few specialty stores. There is a drawback to Center Village however; it is located adjacent to several housing projects which are known to be crime ridden and the local Greyhound station which is a loitering destination for many undesirables. I'm not saying you will be mugged just simply walking out of your apartment but I would be somewhat leery.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your search.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 02-24-2008 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 PM

jfronz, this is very helpful information. Thank you.

I will be working downtown, so it is good to know that both are convenient. During one of my recent visits our entire staff went Tidewater for lunch... delicious. I was very impressed. I liked what I saw of downtown, and if I wasn't doing all of this site unseen I would probably look for something on Virginia or Quarrier streets.

Again, thank you for the information. I like what I've seen of Charleston, and am looking forward to getting to know the city.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
I love the old architecture craftsman homes along the kanawha river. They do rent houses in the area too, which might be better than a regular apartment if you've got a dog. check the charleston gazette classifieds, I see houses for rent in capitol area for about $600- $700 a month.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
When I was a kid it was my main goal in life to have an apartment on the Kanawha River! I agree harborlady, the East End is a wonderful place to live, those old homes are beautiful.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Harborlady, thank you. I'll check those classifieds out. I, too, have an affinity for older homes... the house I just sold is 88 years old, in a historic district. I am really going to miss it. It's good to know there might be alternatives to honeycomb living.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Charleston is very generous with turn of the century architecture. I'm sure you'll be pleased, and maybe even shocked at affordability. Sorry I can't help you on those original apartments you posted, I'm allergic.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 23,769 times
NOVA, I know your post is a bit old, but, hope you can help me. My Daughter has a job in Charleston, Patrick Street, and I am looking for a close, but safe place. How close it Hickory Hills to the Patrick Street Plaza? And wondering if it is stil a safe place? Seems I have heard a lot of crime lately in the South Hills. Any other places you could recommend would be helpful, thanks.!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:49 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS58 View Post
NOVA, I know your post is a bit old, but, hope you can help me. My Daughter has a job in Charleston, Patrick Street, and I am looking for a close, but safe place. How close it Hickory Hills to the Patrick Street Plaza? And wondering if it is stil a safe place? Seems I have heard a lot of crime lately in the South Hills. Any other places you could recommend would be helpful, thanks.!
How far away are you looking for?

Hickory Hills isn't bad, and I'm very sure is safe.

Patrick St. is located on Charleston's West Side and is known for being "UN-Safe"

I'd try the South Charleston area. If nothing there then in South Hills, or (the Eastern Side---of the West Side)---lol

Old 09-18-2010, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 23,769 times
It's me again. I was looking online, and found the one , Charleston Center Village, but, it is in Dunbar. Is there two of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston