Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM

46 posts, read 80,306 times

Advertisements

Chattylady- thank you, I am sure I will love it there! I've spent hours of research and it seems like the place for me

Here in New England we really are spoiled on how well our animals are treated, it is the norm here and the people who don't treat animals well are really outcast-ed and exposed! I literally have NEVER seen a stray dog and our shelters are so empty in NH that we have to transport the dogs in from other states. We have excellent spay and neuter programs and the majority of pet owners are very responsible and caring. I'm afraid I have been so spoiled here that I may be in for a shock moving elsewhere!

It sounds like there are plenty of animal lovers in TN for me to make friends with. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM

28 posts, read 61,221 times
Serenity,

You are fortunate to have not seen a lot of mis-treated animals in your lifetime *smile* what a wonderful thought that is. I have been all over the United States and there are nights i have to literally 'turn it off-force myself' of the things i have seen...its just so sad. What can i say? I am a huge animal lover and I dislike that they have no 'voice' to speak for themselves~it just breaks my heart. Let me know when you come to town...i would love to meet you

Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM

I definitely will let you know Chatty, thanks! It would be great to have a friend in the area Maybe we can save some dogs together!

Ya, the majority of dogs have a pretty cushy life here! I love that part of it!! I'm probably not going to be able to find too many doggy daycare's in TN tho huh What do people in TN do with their dogs when they are at work?? Not trying to be fresh either, I'm serious!? Something to plan for....

Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityisadog View Post
I definitely will let you know Chatty, thanks! It would be great to have a friend in the area Maybe we can save some dogs together!

Ya, the majority of dogs have a pretty cushy life here! I love that part of it!! I'm probably not going to be able to find too many doggy daycare's in TN tho huh What do people in TN do with their dogs when they are at work?? Not trying to be fresh either, I'm serious!? Something to plan for....

I can't take this crap anymore. You have never been here (to the state) and hear how bad we treat our animals and still want to move to this state? You must really hate people in India. I mean, is this a serious question, 'What do people in TN do with their dogs when they are at work'? I'll play your game, we just let them run streets. My dog got into a fight with another dog the other day when this beagle was trying hump a poodle. After the fight, they went and chased some cars ( contrary to new hampshire beliefs, we got rid of horse drawn buggies a decade or so ago, about the same time we got indoor plumbing) on an extremely busy street. Then they had to outrun the local Asian restaurant owners ( I threw this in since you like sterotypes so much) to avoid being General Tso's 'Chicken'. When the mutt got home he was lucky to eat my throw up from reading this stupid, hypocritical, sterotyping post.

Most Tennesseans think more of our pets than humans (you), so if you do move here, I am keeping my fingers crosses you don't, please learn some manners. I am sure you could use this tool called Google, maybe you've heard of it to find some good references on manners, just like you could Google most of the questions you have, like how many doggie daycares are in Tennessee, you can even look up specific cities.

I can say, it would probably not be a good idea for you and your husband to move here. You already have a bad idea, which is completely false, of what the state is about. You'll just be unhappy and get on this forum and complain about how bad it is. If I wanted to move to an area, and it had a large child abuse population, I wouldn't move there, cause I love kids. But I would do my research instead of getting on a forum and offending the people of the state you want to move to. By the way, my three Pit Bulls would 100% disagree with your statements. But, you have confirmed one thing, north easterners are obviously rude.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM

Default why would you be so mean to me?

Knucklehead I am truly sorry if I offended you and obviously I have. But that is no need for you to be so unkind to me and and hurt my feeling so badly. I am so upset at the horrible things you wrote about me that I am literally crying. I can't imagine being that mean to someone, I think what you said to me is very rude and just plain hurtful.

I was not stereotyping, if you had read any of the other posts you would have realized that me and a couple ladies had a conversation going about some of the ways that dogs are treated in TN. My comment about what do people in TN do with their dogs when they work was more of a tongue and cheek comment that had to do with earlier conversations. And yes I was half serious, I really want to know what to do with my dogs when I move to TN. I have looked up doggy daycare and used google as you suggested and came up empty handed for the most part.
I work with a rescue group and most of our dogs come from TN so I know there is a pet overpopulation problem there. I never implied that everyone who lives in TN is neglectful but have also been told by people on this forum who live in TN how bad the problem is.
You came into the middle of a conversation and took everything I said completely wrong.
I hope you write back to me without being so hateful and understand a little more that I was not trying to offend anyone or be stereotypical by any means. But really did you have to be so nasty to me, that really hurt my feelings.
I love pitbulls and am very happy that you are a responsible dog owner who is giving the breed a good name. I wish that their were more people like you!! But please don't be so eager to jump and say hurtful things to people. Your words have power, you can get your point across without being cruel. Great now my husband is going to ask why I am coming to bed crying... Maybe I just have thin skin but what you said was really mean.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityisadog View Post
Knucklehead I am truly sorry if I offended you and obviously I have. But that is no need for you to be so unkind to me and and hurt my feeling so badly. I am so upset at the horrible things you wrote about me that I am literally crying. I can't imagine being that mean to someone, I think what you said to me is very rude and just plain hurtful.

I was not stereotyping, if you had read any of the other posts you would have realized that me and a couple ladies had a conversation going about some of the ways that dogs are treated in TN. My comment about what do people in TN do with their dogs when they work was more of a tongue and cheek comment that had to do with earlier conversations. And yes I was half serious, I really want to know what to do with my dogs when I move to TN. I have looked up doggy daycare and used google as you suggested and came up empty handed for the most part.
I work with a rescue group and most of our dogs come from TN so I know there is a pet overpopulation problem there. I never implied that everyone who lives in TN is neglectful but have also been told by people on this forum who live in TN how bad the problem is.
You came into the middle of a conversation and took everything I said completely wrong.
I hope you write back to me without being so hateful and understand a little more that I was not trying to offend anyone or be stereotypical by any means. But really did you have to be so nasty to me, that really hurt my feelings.
I love pitbulls and am very happy that you are a responsible dog owner who is giving the breed a good name. I wish that their were more people like you!! But please don't be so eager to jump and say hurtful things to people. Your words have power, you can get your point across without being cruel. Great now my husband is going to ask why I am coming to bed crying... Maybe I just have thin skin but what you said was really mean.
Come on, how can your post not offend anyone who loves animals? I cannot tell you how many dogs (mainly Pits) I have helped, and sometimes saved. My wife and I done so much to try and change the image of the Breed, and here you are basically, or so it seems, sterotyping all of us as neglecting our beloved pets. Or people like my my friends parents who took in a beautiful 'bait' Boxer that was left for dead. Your approach just rubbed me the wrong way. I even sent a Pit to Vermont, oh the irony, to live on a farm. Most of us here are proud people, we love life, people, animals ans so on. So don't think we are all neglectful and just that we think of animals as just that. I apologize for my comments, but please, try wording things a little differently next time, TN culture is worlds different from New Hampshire. Good luck with your move.

And in the words of Axl:

Give me a whisper
And give me a sign
Give me a kiss before you
tell me goodbye
Don't you take it so hard now
And please don't take it so bad
I'll still be thinkin' of you
And the times we had...baby

And don't you cry tonight
Don't you cry tonight
Don't you cry tonight
There's a heaven above you baby
And don't you cry tonight

Now that is tongue and cheek. By the way, most strays in TN come from west TN, so I think you'll be happy with Chattanooga.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 PM

Thank you for apologizing, I appreciate it. I by no means think that as a whole people in TN neglect animals but as I was responding to what one poster said " I work for a nationwide horse rescue and I admit I have never in my life seen so many animals abused in my life as in the rural areas of Tennessee". That is what started the topic off, I never thought that was the norm in TN just that it can be a problem. I'm not sure of what is considered the 'rural' parts of TN and was just wondering if I move into Chattanooga area am I going to experience what this other poster has. It sounded pretty serious and scared me a little!

I work with rescue groups out of TN and experience many dog lovers there who spend every waking moment making a better life for animals. So I absolutely would never stereotype TN as being dog haters.

I also think that asking what to do with my dogs while I am at work is a very legitimate question. People ask on here where to send their children to daycare/school. What's wrong with me wanting to know what people from TN do with their dogs? I wasn't trying to be rude by any means. I just know in TN there isn't a dog daycare in every town like where I live now. Do you have a dog walker, a neighbor who lets them out during the day or do you have a daycare near by? Since you (knucklehead) have 3 dogs maybe you could tell me what you do with them while you work?

My dog Bodhi came from Nashville, he was found wondering on a farm skin and bones. My other dog Ella came from Puerto Rico left in a dump as a puppy. It's everywhere! I just want to continue to be part of the solution but I also don't want to move into the 'rural' parts the other poster mentioned where I will be surrounded on a day to day basis by 'abuse' as they put it.

I hope you and your wife keep saving dogs, I know I will.

Again, thanks for being a little nicer this time. I hate the thought of offending people and I hate when people are mean. I guess I'm kind of sensitive but I'm new to this forum thing and I don't typically make it a habit in my life to **** people off to where they get so angry at me.
I save my hatred and negativity for the animal abusers.

Maybe we both learned something?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,213 times
Default Welcome to Chattanooga

My wife Patrice and I have 3 dachshunds and a black lab. Here in Chattanooga, Signal Mountain pets are well cared for. The folks that are making a good living work for animal hospitals and pet hotels!

We moved here going on 6 years ago and have not looked back.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,525 times
I've lived in Tennessee my entire life, except for time spent in graduate school, and I think most of you are greatly exaggerating the amount and degree of animal abuse in the state. I grew up in Chattanooga but I live in one of those maligned rural areas now. I don't see any more abuse here now than I saw when I lived in the city. I occasionally see a stray dog. But you should know that locally and nationally most dogs in shelters are there as owner turn-ins, not as strays. We have lots of hunters with hunting dogs here and they are very good at caring for their dogs and keeping them vaccinated and licensed. So, maybe some of you have had some bad experiences, but I don't think you should be generalizing about the entire state. There are plenty of animal lovers here who take wonderful care of all their animals.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 AM

28 posts, read 61,221 times
I will be here when you get here Serenity Let me know when you come to visit, it would be great to have a new friend here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga