Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuer View Post
First, let me say that as a former construction loan officer for an Atlanta bank and presently a 21-year veteran real estate appraiser working for all the major banks in Chattanooga, if a house built in this area does not have a crawl space it is INFERIOR CONSTRUCTION. I'm not sure where Miss Veronica--"I hate crawl spaces is from," but concrete slab construction is considerably cheaper to build and functions as a thermal conductor; i.e., if the ground is cold, then the concrete slab foundation will conduct the cold into the living area where it is radiated and makes for very uncomfortable living. National construction cost data services show slab construction as approximately 60 percent cheaper than framed floor (crawl space) construction. Concrete vs. wood? You've got to be kidding me. I have lived in several different cities--most recently Atlanta--and can say that our slower lifestyle is just fine. We have mountains towering over a meandering river and a totally reborn downtown. Just last week, we were listed as one of the 10 best cities in the nation in which to retire. By the way, our housing prices are among the 3 lowest cities in the southeastern United States, per National Association of Realtors. Like my 22-year-old son, the things that appeal to much of our population may not appeal to the younger fresh out of college set. As Lewis Grizzard was so fond of saying about Yankees who did not care for the South, I would also say to you: Delta, and numerous airlines, are ready when you are. Sorry you did not care for our city, but you are in the minority. Hope you find what you are looking for wherever you land.
Valuer, how is your water situation ?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM

101 posts, read 847,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
It sounds like xtranaut should have done a little more research, before moving. It seems odd, moving to a lower income state and expecting a New York salary. (New York only an example) Could it be the attitude or pesonality showing through that is stopping them?!?! Maybe, it's time to look within for the problem. Don't be rude and cut everyone, everything down, when you made the mistake.
I have admitted that I didn't thoroughly check Chatanooga out 3 or 4 times in my postings.

That doesn't altogether dismiss the way things are here and for those observations, I do not apologize. Further, it really is ridiculous that I have had to defend myself in postings that were intended to inform - not aggitate.

While Tennessee is a lower income state and lacks opportunity, we were
reasonably prepared to compromise in earnings by moving here.
We were not expecting to be ignored or treated like aliens.

There is no attitude that has effected our pursuit of employment. We both interview in only the most positive, professional way.

One of the reasons for leaving Florida was to distance ourselves from attitude, , along with unmanaged growth, high-density, high taxes, and high prices.

I didn't realize I was being rude by relating these expereinces. If my very real experiences contrast with what you would like to hear or what you have read, I can only caution you not to be so myopic and naive and hope that you do your homework prior to moving here.

Best of New Years!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 11,325 times
Default Chattanooga New Comer

My husband, two kids and I are new comers to Chattanooga. For the most part, we love it. I was a little shocked at some of the complaints. I have lived all over the country and the housing prices here are VERY cheap. Where are you people moving from? Just look at the average home price here and look at ANYWHERE else in the country...very strange I say.

About the job market, yes there's a smaller job market here than most places, yes companies do promote from within...umm, I thought that was a good thing?? Companies taking care of their own, trying to help the people of Chattanooga rather than new comers..I'd personally be pissed if I had worked somewhere for 10 years and have my promotion go to someone from out-of-state, wouldn't you? THAT'S the kind of commitment, I LOOK for in a company....sheesh.

The schools here are excellent, great outdoors activities, great indoors activities, family-oriented, community driven, free and cheap activities..my god, what else do you want? I've never heard some much talk of grocery stores in deciding where you want to live?? How snobby...sorry, just my opinion. Now we did find that Bi-Lo didn't carry some of the ethnic cuisine we like, but they have request cards. We filled a couple out, and now we don't have to go to Fresh Market. And BTW, Wal-Mart didn't carry our ethnic food either.

If you're looking for a cut-throat company to work for that will fire you to bring in someone from out-of-state or to have your promotion given to the kid right out of school, then yeah, I think you should move too.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM

192 posts, read 857,760 times
I sure am glad to see that no one other than Xnaut makes mistakes! All this perfection must be a little hard to live with
We bought in Chatt this past year as well and even though we did tons of research things still pop up that were unexpected. We all know that relocating is stressful enough and that things don't always work out as planned.
Perhaps Xnaut's vent sounded a little bitter, and maybe just maybe with good reason. Don't we all get just a little cynical after trying and trying and no doors will open. Sometimes it just helps to "get it off your chest" and move on. No need to keep on kicking someone when times are tough. He has said many times he shoulda, woulda, coulda. How many times must someone admit they were wrong? It is so very easy to be mean spirited from behind a screen name.
Perhaps some of you folks who are in positions to hire could be helpful instead of kicking some more. I'm sure you all have never had a tough day in your life and have done everything right and and always did your homework, I for one am happy for you, congratulations. And I hope you did it all by yourself without a good word or helping hand from anyone. You must be blessed.
Xnaut and others who are looking, keep your chin up, don't give up and keep putting one foot in front of the other, it will happen. Many of us are rooting for you.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprescott1234 View Post
My husband, two kids and I are new comers to Chattanooga. For the most part, we love it. I was a little shocked at some of the complaints. I have lived all over the country and the housing prices here are VERY cheap. Where are you people moving from? Just look at the average home price here and look at ANYWHERE else in the country...very strange I say.

About the job market, yes there's a smaller job market here than most places, yes companies do promote from within...umm, I thought that was a good thing?? Companies taking care of their own, trying to help the people of Chattanooga rather than new comers..I'd personally be pissed if I had worked somewhere for 10 years and have my promotion go to someone from out-of-state, wouldn't you? THAT'S the kind of commitment, I LOOK for in a company....sheesh.

The schools here are excellent, great outdoors activities, great indoors activities, family-oriented, community driven, free and cheap activities..my god, what else do you want? I've never heard some much talk of grocery stores in deciding where you want to live?? How snobby...sorry, just my opinion. Now we did find that Bi-Lo didn't carry some of the ethnic cuisine we like, but they have request cards. We filled a couple out, and now we don't have to go to Fresh Market. And BTW, Wal-Mart didn't carry our ethnic food either.

If you're looking for a cut-throat company to work for that will fire you to bring in someone from out-of-state or to have your promotion given to the kid right out of school, then yeah, I think you should move too.

Welcome and great 1st post

Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM

48 posts, read 111,589 times
Red face reply from someone who loves Chattanooga

Gosh, veronica is pretty bitter. I have lived all over the U.S. due to my husband's job, so far we like Chattanooga the best and we are comparing it to San Diego, Florida, Maryland, Virginia etc. If possible, we would like to stay here for good. My children love the public schools (Apison Elementary, etc.) and there is a new school that is being built in our area(a Middle/High School). It is a beautiful town, especially in the Fall. Lots to do and the Riverwalk is a great free activity. We are from out of state and our neighbors have welcomed us wonderfully.

Home prices are way below most of the places we have lived, so we were glad to come here. There is plenty of new construction if you are looking for a modern/new home. I live within 9 miles of the Hamilton Place Mall, do I need to say more! I have been loving the shopping.

Veronica if you are unhappy here, take a look in the mirror. Maybe you aren't happy with yourself.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM

340 posts, read 1,511,751 times
Default Yankee here just moved down

My wife and I moved down to the Noog from Indianapolis in October, just a few months ago. I feel I need to respond to some of the negativity here regarding the area, because relocating was the best decision I have made in regard to living situation.

If I were to use the logic of bad luck being the community's fault, I would say just the opposite.

I was offered a huge salary to move to the area because I have skills in short supply (I am an IT professional), and was also paid for relocation. My salary doubled, and now make a lot by any standard. I did my homework and for my skillset, I see posts on careerbuilder and monster begging for applicants. So really I would say:

1) Good jobs are almost never posted in the newspaper. If you really were a super duper professional you would get a placement service or look elsewhere. The free press will not show six figure jobs, period.

2) Maybe your skillset doesn't match the needs of the area. Whose fault is that for not investigating?

3) If your attitude in an interview shows the frustration that you have exhibited here, its no surprise you can't find a job.

In regard to housing, in most markets there are expensive areas, and less expensive areas. You can get a decent tract home in E Brainerd for under $200k. I see some homes on Missionary Ridge with a view of the valley starting at $275k. If your sole basis of comparison is against the $500k condos on Frasier, I would challenge you to show me what city doesn't have the absolutely most expensive areas right in their finest most walkable, scenic, and convenient locations.

Also in regard to housing, we didn't know where to buy when we moved, so we are leasing a nice home for our first year, 3br 2 ba with granite and stainless, spa bath, basement, garage, etc. for $1500/mo and can walk to Frasier. In other markets I'm not sure we could even get an apartment for that, and this place is really wonderful and convenient.

In regard to grocery, lol, well Chattanooga is growing city. BiLo is a small town store. But now here is Publix (now open) and one soon going in at Hixson Pike and 153. BiLo is building a 'super' BiLo in the same area, surprise surprise. The growth and increasing competition is a testament to the continued success of the community.

We like Chattanooga very much so far. It is a beautiful city, the people have been friendly, and there is so much to do. The housing is a little more expensive than Indianapolis, but for the scenery and climate it is not unreasonable.

Finally, I have heard the stories of Chattanooga 10 years ago and seen what it looks like now, and the opportunity being created by bringing money from outside the area to Chattanooga via tourism. If you think that this city is stuck in its ways and never changes and peoples' attitudes are stuck in reverse, you need to open your eyes.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,533 times
Smile How about changing your PERSPECTIVE?

Hey there! - This is mainly to Xtranaut, but really just my 2 cents. I am currently living in Upstate NY & hope to move to TN within 3-5 years. I have a long way to go before retirement and have been relishing the forum and all the wonderful people sharing their views. First, Xtra, I feel for you defending yourself over the past several pages. But cut yourself some slack - so you weren't as "prepared" as others might be; big woop. Hey - you probably knew the savings was gonna be your cushion - just not as long. Now you start looking at yourself and your wife, and your situation...in a new light. I know...I can just see you all staring at the keyboard thinking I'm Little Mary Sunshine,(LOL) or enjoying my granola after an invigorating yoga session. (Only in my dreams...)

What I mean Xtra, is you have stuck it out this long because you love the scenery, weather, etc. - right? So come up with a way you and your wife can create your OWN destiny - your own BUSINESS. And don't - DO NOT- say it can't be done. It can be done. It IS done - every day - in towns all across America, by people who have exhausted what they thought was the last bit of optimism they harbored. Sit down with your wife - get a nice bottle of Amarone and a pizza, and start brainstorming. What would you do if you had to take a new direction towards financial security? Wouldn't you at least want to do something that brought you an equal amount of emotional wellbeing? There must be something you are good at besides what you gave to Corporate America? You seem like you would be a good writer - that could parlay into something altogether new for you. What are the hobbies you & your spouse enjoy? You say you grew up here - A lot of tourists in other countries (the U.S. too,) pay a nice fee to be shown around by the locals. Is there a service in the area you often wish was available but no one has put it out there yet? (I myself hope that when I turn eighty years old, I will be "wealthy" enough to have my very own personal driver at my beck and call, cuz I know I won't be able to give up the road!! And he will be paid REALLY well!) A friend of mine is in his 3rd year of a courier business in a town of about 150,000 (+ another 200,000 people in the surrounding 60 mile radius) - he's doing fantastic.

I want to move to the Knoxville area and know the only way I will be able to do that is to be self-employed. Rather than trying to find a mold into which I might fit; I am trying to develop a niche others will take to.

The point is - the current method you are using hasn't garnered you what you envisioned for your life. So change your method by changing your vision!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:01 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,462 times
Default Wow!!!!

I am having my 25 year old college son read this exchange. What a cheap "reality course" though for no credit. He has had ideas, along with a couple of buddies, of heading to San Diego to live and work. I hope this reality check will give him some food for thought.

Well done all.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I am having my 25 year old college son read this exchange. What a cheap "reality course" though for no credit. He has had ideas, along with a couple of buddies, of heading to San Diego to live and work. I hope this reality check will give him some food for thought.

Well done all.

Scared Straight method, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga