Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 PM

26 posts, read 118,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
There is not much gay life in Chattanooga, but I have found the people here have a "live and let live" attitude. My husband and I (yes, we are gay AND married) have not encountered any problems or issues with anyone here and we live in a more rural part of town. Of course, we don't hold hands in public or dress like girls either.
Trust me, there is plenty of gay life in Chattanooga. I go to the University here and know lots of gay people. In fact I live with a gay man. I met him through my boyfriend's roomate (who is a lesbian.) I love them both to death. My straight friends are always around their gay friends and it has never ever been a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford08 View Post
Trust me, there is plenty of gay life in Chattanooga. I go to the University here and know lots of gay people. In fact I live with a gay man. I met him through my boyfriend's roomate (who is a lesbian.) I love them both to death. My straight friends are always around their gay friends and it has never ever been a problem.
Excuse me, but having a few gay friend does not mean Chattanooga (and definately not Cleveland--the poster child of a republican bible-belt city) has any gay life. Most cities I have visited over the years have a "gay district" with restaurants, shops and bars" for gay/lesbians customers. Chattanooga has none of these, nor does the city want them. The three gay bars here are truly aweful, like a flashback to 1975. Chucks, the only gar bar downtown, is a complete dump. They haven't remodeled in years, and it shows. They have old "dairy queen" booths in there to sit at which are very uncomfortable, as well as just plain ugly and don't fit into a modern gay bar. The place is always near-empty and crime in the parking lot is a problem because of it's location. Images, on Lee Hiway, is the same. The bar is very, very dated with tables and chairs parked all over the place. The drag shows are second (or third) rate and very few people watch (or like) the shows anyway. This place has tons of potential if a complete remodel were to be done to bring it into the new millennia, instead of the sorry time-warp it is stuck in. Alan Golds, near downtown, is the gay disco, which on a Friday or Saturday night, very late gets a mixed crowd, which is 50/50 gay and straight. Not an ideal place to meet other gay men or lesbian women. Most gay men and women leave Chattanooga for other more "gay-friendly" cities at the first chance they get. Having gay students on a college campus does not make an entire city gay-friendly or give it "gay life," which Chattanooga has little to none. No gay artists tour here? Have you ever seen the Pet Shop Boys or Erasure have a concert here? NO, because Chattanooga is not a city that offers anything for gay men or lesbians.

One last note, the Big Chill restaurant downtown does get a few gay, but mostly lesbian customers mixed in with the mostly straight clientelle. I'd hardly call that a "gay life."

Regardless, as a gay man, I still love Chattanooga. It's just not like Atlanta or Fort Lauderdale (or most other cities), when it comes to having a gay life.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,884 times
Is there any lesbians i can hang out with to fill more in the zone! Most of my friends that i hang out with on a daily basis are straight.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Aheath11, come bowling with us! Wednesday night Rainbow League 6:30-8ish. Lotsa fun!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 AM

CHATTANOOGA PRIDE WEEK 2009 ANNOUNCED At the February Tennessee Valley Pride Board of Directors meeting, it was unanimously voted to hold this year’s Chattanooga Pride festival on Sunday October 11, 2009. The date was chosen because of it significance as National Coming Out Day. The event will, as always, be free and open to the public. In response to last year’s overwhelming turn out, the venue has been tentatively set for Miller Plaza, in Downtown Chattanooga. The venue sits adjacent to federal and city government building as serves as a fitting backdrop on such an important day. TVP is currently exploring and finalizing plans for several events to be held during the week long festivities. Among the events scheduled are a meet and greet with city leaders to discuss issues of GLBT importance. Choral and Theatre productions, Comedy night and a candle light vigil are also on the agenda for the week. More information will become available as events are finalized. Check the TVP website at Tennessee Valley Pride, Inc regularly for more updates.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Thanks for the update u4icmusic . Did you see where they (TVP) are having a private roller skating event @ Hamilton Skate Place? I will bet that's gonna be fun! I bowl with alot of the folks there and they are a great group.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Also, on Saturday, August 1st, Chuck's (the gay bar downtown) will be having a 20 year anniversary bash. This should be fun.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
My partner and I recently visited Chattanooga and absolutely loved it. True, the "gay" bars were subdued but then, so are we! A nice guy we met told us that the Big Chill downtown was "gay friendly". On a Monday night at 8pm, we saw maybe 10 people we thought might be straight. The place was fairly packed, very friendly, great service. So, if you are accustomed to cities with large gay clubs and events, Chattanooga might be a culture shock however, if you are looking for a friendly "live and let live" town where people seem genuinely friendly, this could be the place. Also, its just a beautiful town; the lakes, mountains, walking paths; I could certainly see myself living there. After visiting 15 cities in the past two years, Chattanooga is the first place I thought could be home.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 AM

The Big Chill is half gay and half straight. It's owned by lesbians, so the gay crowd feels comfortable there. 4 times a year, on a Saturday night, they hold a private party for gays and lesbians only. I've found that it attracts a lot of college kids, so it can be a young crowd.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 PM

The Tennessee Valley Pride organization has planned their Pridefest downtown again this year. It is planned for the same weekend that a large gay march on Washington DC is planned.

GLBT National March on Washington: October 11, 2009 - ProudParenting

A group of GLBT organizers are planning to gather in Washington DC on October 10 and 11, 2009 - with hope of attracting fair-minded citizens from across the country. The group wants to remind elected leaders that now is the time for full equal rights for GLBT people. The hope is to leave the event energized and empowered to do the work that needs to be done in hometowns across the nation.
NationalEqualityMarch.com will be updated as more information is available. According to the website, the march will be organized in a grassroots manner, and details will be shared on the website.

I informed TVA about this conflict, but they cannot change the date of their pride festival due to arrangements already being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga