Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Hoping you make it to this area - would like to have you as a neighbor (well, an hour and a half away neighbor)…
We're taking a trip there in a few weeks. I'm excited. I like that whole NC, eastern TN, VA, north GA vibe in general. Thanks for being friendly - I have found that lots of friendly people live in this particular region. That's super important to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:53 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,451,290 times
Also North Alabama...

Old 08-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Yes, I really do like the Huntsville area - if I could just get my head around living in Alabama - LOL!

Old 08-06-2018, 05:58 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,451,290 times
Yeah, it's tough living around all these physicists, rocket scientists, and engineers...

Old 08-06-2018, 06:00 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,068 times
Default We retired to ASHEVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We're taking a trip there in a few weeks. I'm excited. I like that whole NC, eastern TN, VA, north GA vibe in general. Thanks for being friendly - I have found that lots of friendly people live in this particular region. That's super important to us.
And love it. We considered Chattanooga, but decided that it was too hot. We do enjoy visiting there. We met our kids there last year for Riverfest.

Realestate in Asheville has escalated in the four and a half years we have lived here. But there are small towns like Brevard, Black Mountain and Flatrock that be of interest to you. Also around Hendersonville. Many Conservatives in the area, and many Churches. Lots of homes with porches or decks.

We like that it is a days drive to DC to the east, a quick trip to Savannah to the south, of course Atlanta to the west, and a bit farther to Chicago to the north. We rarely fly anymore, not in a hurry being retired, but have found Asheville airport to be easy, though sometimes it is necessary to go to Charlotte for more direct flights.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Yeah, it's tough living around all these physicists, rocket scientists, and engineers...
Well to be fair, most of Alabama isn't populated with physicists, rocket scientists, and engineers. So, for me anyway, I do need to wrap my head around the whole concept of living in Alabama. It isn't the state of my dreams but I'm sure it has some beautiful areas.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
And love it. We considered Chattanooga, but decided that it was too hot. We do enjoy visiting there. We met our kids there last year for Riverfest.

Realestate in Asheville has escalated in the four and a half years we have lived here. But there are small towns like Brevard, Black Mountain and Flatrock that be of interest to you. Also around Hendersonville. Many Conservatives in the area, and many Churches. Lots of homes with porches or decks.

We like that it is a days drive to DC to the east, a quick trip to Savannah to the south, of course Atlanta to the west, and a bit farther to Chicago to the north. We rarely fly anymore, not in a hurry being retired, but have found Asheville airport to be easy, though sometimes it is necessary to go to Charlotte for more direct flights.
That's good to know!

Asheville is beautiful - been there several times. It's a bit small for me but I'd like to live near it, if that makes sense. Real estate prices have gone CRAZY there too! I am not familiar with Brevard, Black Mountain, or Flatrock, Hendersonville, etc. I'll definitely look into those - thanks for the suggestions!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,604,062 times
Serious Conversation does not live in Chattanooga nor has he spent any time there. I'd take his advice with a grain of salt. Not saying there are no druggies at all but I suspect you are way past the age to be taking up new bad habits.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Serious Conversation does not live in Chattanooga nor has he spent any time there. I'd take his advice with a grain of salt. Not saying there are no druggies at all but I suspect you are way past the age to be taking up new bad habits.
LOL I'm not worried about taking up bad habits - I'm worried about higher crime rates due to opiates.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,533,174 times
I always liked Chattanooga, as well as Asheville area. Brother has property in Brevard and it is absolutely beautiful there and a bit removed from Asheville. I would love to find a mountain town within an hour of a major airport, with a more liberal worldview. I'm pretty much done with Texas summers after this one so looking for a move in the next two years. At this point will probably settle for Nashville but, no place seems to have what I am looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga