Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:27 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL amen to that. Texas has four seasons, alright - Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas.
But Christmas=Fall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
But Christmas=Fall!
True - because there's no such thing as winter and if it DOES make a showing, we're all freaked out - LOL.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Hiya Kathryn, saw your name show up so I had to pop in on your thread.
I spent a few years in Houston so I totally get the point you're making. In fact I have a temp blog I kept when I first moved to TN and I compared a lot of days here with Houston, it's pretty remarkable how much difference in comfort a few degrees can make. Are you going by dew point temps? They are a lot more accurate for comparison in the 'comfort' factor.

Here is a little more info about crime reporting- "There are 532 reporting agencies in the state of Tennessee. And, for the second consecutive year, all agencies in Tennessee are compliant with TIBRS reporting. Tennessee is one of 16 states reporting 100% compliance. Nationally, 34 states are currently NIBRS-certified." https://tbinewsroom.com/2018/04/20/t...crime-study-2/
and an overview of how it works- https://ucr.fbi.gov/nibrs-overview

I know in Memphis some city agency made reports on which were the most dangerous intersections in the city, perhaps Chattanooga has something similar? Some govt official somewhere probably has the answer, if you can find them!

And just for the record, here in Bristol it's 66F @11pm with a 'feels like' of 77F, all my windows are wide open and I'm enjoying the nice balmy night.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:01 AM

Well, this week is forecast to be hot and very similar between the two locations - but the highs in both places are supposed to be in the low 90s. Honestly, I can deal with that - it's when it gets above 95 and just perpetually sunny and still and humid - like it is week after week after week here - that I start getting pretty dang fretful.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:03 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a lot of fall color in the Chattanooga area? When is the peak for fall leaves?

Old 09-01-2018, 04:10 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Smile Plenty of Foliage

YES, there is plenty of color variety here.. Almost the first week of Nov could be peak.. Some years of dry summer could be earlier and a few trees drop leave,, but this year was wet summer. I have a bunch of pics if able to attach later.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
How funny, I live about an hour north of Chattanooga. This year seem to be very strange weather-wise. I'm so sick of rain and there's been plenty of that this year. I'm from Seattle which everyone always think RAIN. But it doesn't rain like this in Seattle. You know that part in Forest Gump where he goes on to explain all types of rain they had in Vietnam? My Seattle native DH is all I get it now! LOL.

But yes, my bestie lived in Austin for 2 years, she's also a Seattle native... yes, the hot weather became the main topic as the heat just about killed her, lol. It does seem on average in summer that it's at least 10 degrees hotter than here... so there's "some" relief in that sense.

Chattanooga is a nifty little town, half way between Nashville and Atlanta which are great places to visit. The mountain towns like Gatlinburg and Asheville are a bit further away but also great places to take a break from unrelenting humidity. If you are in Chattanooga soon on a Sunday, make sure to check out the Farmer's Market. I like the town a lot and it does feel like it's only going to up.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:58 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a lot of fall color in the Chattanooga area? When is the peak for fall leaves?
If there isn't enough in Chattanooga's immediate area for you, there is the Cherohala Skyway. It will take you through some nice color in the mountains of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
How funny, I live about an hour north of Chattanooga. This year seem to be very strange weather-wise. I'm so sick of rain and there's been plenty of that this year. I'm from Seattle which everyone always think RAIN. But it doesn't rain like this in Seattle. You know that part in Forest Gump where he goes on to explain all types of rain they had in Vietnam? My Seattle native DH is all I get it now! LOL.

But yes, my bestie lived in Austin for 2 years, she's also a Seattle native... yes, the hot weather became the main topic as the heat just about killed her, lol. It does seem on average in summer that it's at least 10 degrees hotter than here... so there's "some" relief in that sense.

Chattanooga is a nifty little town, half way between Nashville and Atlanta which are great places to visit. The mountain towns like Gatlinburg and Asheville are a bit further away but also great places to take a break from unrelenting humidity. If you are in Chattanooga soon on a Sunday, make sure to check out the Farmer's Market. I like the town a lot and it does feel like it's only going to up.

This is all good to know - thank you!

Yep, I hear it has been super rainy all up and down the east coast this summer. Ugh. I wish y'all could send some of that rain this direction, but now that it's hurricane season maybe we'll finally get some. It's in our forecast for all of this upcoming week so we'll see!

Old 09-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Due to the possibility of a hurricane in the Gulf, for the next ten days it looks like our temps will be a smidgen lower than in Chattanooga. We finally caught a break! Now, if that tropical system will just be small and harmless, we should be alright. Houston got slammed just a year ago and I'd hate to see that happen again.

Speaking of storms, does Chattanooga get many? What about remnants of hurricanes on the east coast - how far inland do they typically come and does Chattanooga get a lot of wind or tornadoes or is it mostly just rain? Here in NE Texas we tend to get a lot of rain from tropical systems but high winds are pretty rare. However, tornadoes are NOT rare, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga